New bridges (bridge-castle-transitions, hanging bridge)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Re: New bridges (bridge-castle-transitions, hanging bridge)

Post by Alarantalara »

I was testing your new bridges prior to committing them, and ran into a small problem with the plank bridge.
Overlapping supports
Overlapping supports
Screen shot 2012-03-30 at 10.14.36 PM.png (118.49 KiB) Viewed 6867 times
As you can see, the bridge overlaps the cave to the south of it. (The attached hanging bridge has no effect, it's just there for fun.)
Coffee
Inactive Developer

Post by Coffee »

Thanks very much for the new bridge variations lurker. Like other UMC map makers I'll probably use them all. I assume mainline maps will benefit also.

Just a few nit picks:
  • Hanging bridge n-w variation should be in front of castle placed one hex above.
  • Should you have to hold shift to get new bridges to go over terrain other than chasm? The regular wooden bridge/your rotting wood bridge does not.
  • IMO the new stone chasm bridge is slightly too dark (assuming it will mostly connect to cave path, etc.). See screenshots below to see what I am saying (remember that in-game underground it is darker than in map editor)
Spoiler:
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

On my maps, the stone-bridge-transitions did look much better in earlier BfW versions.
Spoiler:
1. Why is this so?

2. Can this be fixed?
Last edited by Adamant14 on April 7th, 2012, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Adamant14 wrote:1. Why is this so?

2. Can this be fixed?
It's already taken care of.
http://gna.org/bugs/?19505
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Alarantalara wrote:
Adamant14 wrote:1. Why is this so?

2. Can this be fixed?
It's already taken care of.
http://gna.org/bugs/?19505
Just as a reminder: they could look still better if the replacements from the latest new-bridges package were used. One of the fixes therein is exactly to properly overlap the castles. You will find examples of that earlier in this thread.

@Alarantalara: a propos the rickety bridge: I need to go over the images once more, because there are some transitions which do not look right. Not much time at hand right now, but I have to forgotten it. And first I have to understand why my add-on has stopped working. When that is done I will also create the "obstructed" versions of the rickety bridge.

Thanks

Lurker
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Hello,

well, seems I needed some time off, but here I am back again, ready to clean up some remaining issue of the bridges.
First, the plank bridge: it was not usable immediately behind flat terrain. With some more images and a few changes to terrain-graphics.cfg this is now possible. I attach the files, please commit.

Thanks

Lurker
Attachments
planks-fix.zip
(386.1 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Hm, still not committed.

Anyway I assume this is probably due to lack of time, not some problem with the patch itself. So this next patch combines the former with the fix for the stonebridge, since I have to modify terrain-graphics.cfg some more. This may meet some opposition, because it shifts the stonebridge a few pixels to the south, which is a visible change, even if not a fundamental one. On the other hand it fixes a lot of glitches next to castles, reuses the macros introduced for the hanging, plank and chasm stone bridges and even needs less images. Before applying the change I would suggest to remove all images starting with "stonebridge" from the core/images/terrain/bridge folder.

To see which things the are fixed, see these two posts from earlier in this thread:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 30#p515341
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 30#p518491

Thanks

Lurker
Attachments
planks_stone_fix.zip
(517.11 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

I've looked it over and I can't commit it in its current state. Attached images show some examples of the problems. Have I misapplied your change, or is something missing?
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-10-05 at 8.41.05 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-10-05 at 8.41.05 PM.png (303.82 KiB) Viewed 5904 times
Screen shot 2012-10-05 at 8.37.24 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-10-05 at 8.37.24 PM.png (93.11 KiB) Viewed 5904 times
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Alarantalara wrote:I've looked it over and I can't commit it in its current state. Attached images show some examples of the problems. Have I misapplied your change, or is something missing?
Indeed. I forgot some images, very sorry about that. Today I installed wesnoth from scratch and then of course could reproduce the problem. But the problems in the second screenshot are not fixed and neither are they a regression. The same things happen with the old version. I will try if I can fix that later with some WML tweaking.

Thanks

Lurker

edit:

Fixed the problems with the planks bridge.
planks.png
planks.png (176.67 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
Since I had to make heavy use of flags I took the chance to refactor and clean up the WML for stone, plank, chasm and hanging bridge. The terrain-graphics/bridge.cfg is completely new. The file to use is bridges_refactor.zip, but I keep the old planks_stone_fix.zip for fear of having forgotten an image. Please try it out and tell me if more problems pop up.

Thanks

Lurker

edit2:

Don't know if I made myself clear enough: The image sets in brides_refactor.zip are meant to be complete. So please remove stonebridge* planks* hanging* and chasm* before putting the new ones in. Thanks
Attachments
bridges_refactor.zip
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 537 times
planks_stone_fix.zip
(574.75 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
Last edited by lurker on October 9th, 2012, 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

I just came back to mention that I committed the stone bridge and plank bridge and discovered that the result had been edited since then. This means I need to do the most recent version of the plank bridge again.

Thanks for making the changes!
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Alarantalara wrote:I just came back to mention that I committed the stone bridge and plank bridge and discovered that the result had been edited since then. This means I need to do the most recent version of the plank bridge again.

Thanks for making the changes!
Just once more I have to say sorry. Until recently the fix had not been downloaded at all so I hoped I would be in time. In fact I had started to work on the glitches since shortly after you made me aware of them. But it was hard work, took a complete refactoring and more time than first thought. Actually I was not sure I could make it at all and so I hesitated to mention it. It may not help much, but I really do appreciate the labour and the patience you put into this.

On the upside, the WML is much cleaner now and I think is more future-proof for possible further tweaks (hanging bridge over water, perhaps).

Thanks

Lurker
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Hello,

I reworked the hanging bridge a bit. I reduced the dark shadows under it and added some light shadows for the ropes. Left is old, right is new:
hanging_comparison.png
And I made it work over water, too:
hanging_water.png
Since the refactored bridges are not committed yet, I add the whole package. The same instructions apply: Replace data/core/terrain-graphics.cfg and data/core/terrain-graphics/bridge.cfg with the ones from the package, remove stonebridge* planks* hanging* and chasm* from data/core/images/terrain/bridge and add all the *.png from the package instead. The plank tile images recently added by shadowmaster are in the package, too.

Thanks

Lurker
Attachments
bridges_refactor2.zip
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 427 times
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Ah, those last hanging bridges are looking great, nice job sir.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

*cough* commit *cough* :whistle:

Today I did another experiment. Actually I wanted to try a finer replacement of the stone bridge for use near elven castles. Somehow I ended with another hanging bridge. Now I am not sure I should pursue this further. For one, it may feel a bit too modern, wooden floor notwithstanding. Second the long bridge is actually a bit boring. :hmm:
elfbridge_orig.png
elfbridge_orig.png (187.01 KiB) Viewed 5314 times
elfbridge_long.png
elfbridge_long.png (120.65 KiB) Viewed 5314 times
Regards

Lurker
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

lurker wrote:*cough* commit *cough* :whistle:
Done :oops: