New bridges (bridge-castle-transitions, hanging bridge)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Bad_Dog

Re: Bridge-Castle Transitions (was: New try at a hanging bri

Post by Bad_Dog »

I don't really know why, but that looks more like a red mist than being lit from below. I'm not skilled enough to offer a better suggestion. :whistle:
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Bad_Dog wrote:I don't really know why, but that looks more like a red mist than being lit from below. I'm not skilled enough to offer a better suggestion. :whistle:
Hm, I have no better idea at the moment. Work in progress with slightly shorter pillars
lava-chasm-3.png
lava-chasm-3.png (244.29 KiB) Viewed 4800 times
m0ta

Post by m0ta »

Well, IMHO you shouldn't light the rocks from all angles especially at the top. It'd be more realistic if you blend your first attempt with the second.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

New version:
lava-chasm-4.png
lava-chasm-4.png (269.6 KiB) Viewed 4697 times
AlaskanAvenger

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

The top corner on the left bridge looks extended making the bridge feel slanted sideways.
quick edit:
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I think the slanting effect has a lot to do with the way the tiles look: The strongest lines in that pattern are all diagonal. The bridge on the right looks great. I don't see why you can't use the same pattern on the left bridge.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Hello,

@AlaskanAvenger: Right. For whatever reason I was very closefisted with the length of those bridges. I extended them now on all sides and made them fade into the base tile. Will do that for the regular (non-lava) bridge tiles, too.

@beetlenaut: It is the same pattern, just mirrored horizontally (to fit with the main bridge direction) and adjusted for the different direction of light. I personally (but I may be biased) do not see that much difference either. I would try to play with it a bit, just to see where it leads, but as I already said, I lost the svg files and can only work with what I have now. (But, sorry to say, If I had to choose between the two versions, I would prefer the sw-ne one)
lava-chasm-5.png
edit: I sharpened the se-nw version's floor a bit
lava-chasm-6.png
lava-chasm-6.png (171.38 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

lurker wrote:@beetlenaut: It is the same pattern, just mirrored horizontally (to fit with the main bridge direction) and adjusted for the different direction of light. I personally (but I may be biased) do not see that much difference either. I would try to play with it a bit, just to see where it leads, but as I already said, I lost the svg files and can only work with what I have now. (But, sorry to say, If I had to choose between the two versions, I would prefer the sw-ne one)
I see what beetlenaut is getting at here. The nw/se bridge has more stress on the horizontal bricks that make up the texture of the walking surface of the bridge (which fits the standard terrain perspective), while the bricks that make up the texture of the ne/sw bridge seem to be viewed from almost a top-down perspective. Because of this, the surfaces of the two directional bridges each reads as being in two different perspectives. I'm guessing it's probably an effect of the horizontal mirror resampling the image.

EDIT: Accidentally said vertical instead of horizontal above, corrected that.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

artisticdude wrote:
lurker wrote:@beetlenaut: It is the same pattern, just mirrored horizontally (to fit with the main bridge direction) and adjusted for the different direction of light. I personally (but I may be biased) do not see that much difference either. I would try to play with it a bit, just to see where it leads, but as I already said, I lost the svg files and can only work with what I have now. (But, sorry to say, If I had to choose between the two versions, I would prefer the sw-ne one)
I see what beetlenaut is getting at here. The nw/se bridge has more stress on the vertical bricks that make up the texture of the walking surface of the bridge (which fits the standard terrain perspective), while the bricks that make up the texture of the ne/sw bridge seem to be viewed from almost a top-down perspective. Because of this, the surfaces of the two directional bridges each reads as being in two different perspectives. I'm guessing it's probably an effect of the horizontal mirror resampling the image.
I can also see what he means. It is an optical illusion however (and I did not think it is as strong), both patterns are exactly the same, except from mirrored. Just the lighting is different, because in both cases it is supposed to come from se. And I have not resampled the pattern, that is from when I still had the vector file around, and the shadows and highlights where redone from scratch then.

For my taste the pattern on the se-nw looks actually slightly too flat, but since you both are so uncomfortable with the sw-ne version, I tried something. I lightened up the darkest pixels only, bringing the whole thing more in line with the se-nw bridge. Please compare:
sw-ne.png
sw-ne.png (70.67 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
sw-ne-lighter.png
sw-ne-lighter.png (68.34 KiB) Viewed 4419 times
edit: slightly improved "lighter" version
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

That's better. It reduces the illusion a lot.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

beetlenaut wrote:That's better. It reduces the illusion a lot.
I like it, too. So this is the new floor for all the sw-ne bridges now. I attach the current work in progress. Still missing are the four special cases shown below.
lava-chasm-7.png
Attachments
new_bridges.4.zip
(618.99 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
lurker
Art Contributor

Re: New bridges (bridge-castle-transitions, hanging bridge)

Post by lurker »

Hello,

it was more work than I thought, but now the pillars should all be fine, whether broken or whole, whether standing in lava, partially in lava or not at all. There are many different cases, the screenshot shows only a few.
lava-chasm-8.png
Next I will probably do something for the transition to dwarven castles, and then the underground stone bridge should be done.

Thanks

Lurker
Attachments
new_bridges.5.zip
(837.97 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Looks great! I like how the broken edges tended to crack on the tile boundaries. Have you singe-handedly doubled the number of bridges in the game yet?
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

beetlenaut wrote:Looks great! I like how the broken edges tended to crack on the tile boundaries.
Thanks a lot. More importantly they cracked after the pillars. I did that differently the first time around, and that did not look right: The pillars are so massive, they are bound to be the last thing to crumble.
beetlenaut wrote:Have you singe-handedly doubled the number of bridges in the game yet?
They have not yet been endorsed by a lead designer, so who knows. But the current mainline bridges, except the natural chasm one, are by me, so it feels like i have totally taken over anyway :mrgreen:.

And I have plans for at least another bridge, so it seems to become a habit ;-).
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

in a slightly anti-WINR vein, i wonder if stone bridges over lava (especially dwarven-built ones) would have some sort of enhancement such as cladding, different stone, or runes to prevent melting and erosion