New bridges (bridge-castle-transitions, hanging bridge)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Adamant14

Re: New bridges (bridge-castle-transitions, hanging bridge)

Post by Adamant14 »

Looks good, especially the one between the trees.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Improved the ne ending and the shadow. The shadow is smaller overall so the bridge seems hanging lower. I am still taking suggestions of course, but it feels like I am zeroing in.
forest_bridge.png
forest_bridge.png (184.61 KiB) Viewed 7088 times
Regards

Lurker
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Looks like a very cool jungle bridge.
'Battle for Wesnoth' will probably be renamed 'Battle for the Thousand Bridges' some day.

Contrast seems right, but the bridge appears more saturated than the surroundings, both in the browns and the greens.
Maybe the greens could have darker shadows and less saturated highlights, something in between forest and jungle, though not as much as the shadows of the jungle which are too large and black in my opinion.
I guess the greens of the bridge should more or less match with the foliage of the trees, not the grass like it seems currently.

I do not have a graphics editor available right now to check it exactly, but do the first poles (on the river bank near the viewer) align the same way the others do?

There is such thing as overgrown cobblestone road, which people might want to use with the bridge, therefore it might be best if the cobblestone road on the bridge looked similar, like continuation of the overgrown cobblestone road.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

homunculus wrote:Looks like a very cool jungle bridge.
'Battle for Wesnoth' will probably be renamed 'Battle for the Thousand Bridges' some day.

Contrast seems right, but the bridge appears more saturated than the surroundings, both in the browns and the greens.
Maybe the greens could have darker shadows and less saturated highlights, something in between forest and jungle, though not as much as the shadows of the jungle which are too large and black in my opinion.
I guess the greens of the bridge should more or less match with the foliage of the trees, not the grass like it seems currently.

I do not have a graphics editor available right now to check it exactly, but do the first poles (on the river bank near the viewer) align the same way the others do?

There is such thing as overgrown cobblestone road, which people might want to use with the bridge, therefore it might be best if the cobblestone road on the bridge looked similar, like continuation of the overgrown cobblestone road.
That all makes sense. So here the highlights are saturated a bit less, and darker shadows are added to the trees. And yes, the trees should be aligned the same.
forest_bridge.png
forest_bridge.png (119.93 KiB) Viewed 7063 times
edit: now really desaturated.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I can't help but imagine these briges built by saurians in swamps rather than elves... but maybe that's just me...

not much to say on the bridges themselves, they are awesome
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Boucman wrote:I can't help but imagine these briges built by saurians in swamps rather than elves... but maybe that's just me...

not much to say on the bridges themselves, they are awesome
No, I agree completely. Saurians, Woses er maybe Outlaws would be most likely builders oft such bridges. I will come
back to elves at a later time.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

these latest bridges are beautiful but i wonder why they are shown isolated, ie with foliage-free tiles adjacent. from their genesis it seems to me they would require trees in at least one tile adjacent to one of their endpoints. anyone trying to cross one should beware that the bridge may be decayed and collapse if there isnt a big tree to anchor it... :hmm:

(yes i am arguing against drop-in consistency with other bridges. this sort of uniqueness could make terrain more interesting for players rather than just a decoration)
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Really awesome work you've been doing on this! I like it a lot.
lurker wrote: No, I agree completely. Saurians, Woses er maybe Outlaws would be most likely builders oft such bridges. I will come
back to elves at a later time.
Totally agreed.
homunculus wrote:There is such thing as overgrown cobblestone road, which people might want to use with the bridge, therefore it might be best if the cobblestone road on the bridge looked similar, like continuation of the overgrown cobblestone road.
Once again, agreed. Atm, I think they look more like the old 1.8 (or was it 1.6?) overgrown cobblestone roads. I think they should be more similar. Maybe not the exact same, but fit better together. I'm not sure how, maybe the main body of the bridge could stay the same but the transitions be more gradual? It's for you to see...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I like this new bridge! :D I wouldn't call it (or its wooden predecessor) a hanging bridge, though, because it's supported all the way along. More like a suspension bridge.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

If you're still making terrains, could you maybe take a shot at the infamous cliff terrain? You managed the hanging bridge, I'm pretty sure you'd ace cliffs. :)
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:I like this new bridge! :D I wouldn't call it (or its wooden predecessor) a hanging bridge, though, because it's supported all the way along. More like a suspension bridge.
Suspension bridges are the ones with loads of cables aren't they?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Flameslash wrote:
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:I like this new bridge! :D I wouldn't call it (or its wooden predecessor) a hanging bridge, though, because it's supported all the way along. More like a suspension bridge.
Suspension bridges are the ones with loads of cables aren't they?
Exactly; this new bridge appears to be supported at least partially by the vines.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Ah, now that you put it that way I see where you are coming from.