Stilt-houses replacement

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Max

Re: Stilt-houses replacement

Post by Max »

a couple of small modifications wouldn't hurt - they look quite similar right now...
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Max wrote:a couple of small modifications wouldn't hurt - they look quite similar right now...
I have tried to make modifications without changing the general construction and which are somwhat likely: slightly more stilts, a straighter tent, etc. I think people would not want to change a proven design very much, expecially for this type of hut which a man would probably build a few of within his lifetime. But if you have suggestions for other details to tweak, please feel free to tell me.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

As threatened, here are the images, and since there was no more feedback, I regard them as final now :-). Extract the zip into <wesnoth-data>/data/core/images/terrain/villages to use them.
tropical_double.png
tropical_double.png (45.22 KiB) Viewed 5336 times
Thanks

Lurker
Attachments
tropical.zip
(22.89 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

I love those new swamp villages. :)

As I look at the tropic villages, knowing nothing about tropical huts, I wonder why the poles below the platform aren't either completely vertical, or completely in line with the hut poles.

Also, a quick and lazy peek at Google images for 'tropical hut'/'jungle hut' shows most of structures with roofs (and even walls) of thatch--or palm fronds or whatever. Perhaps the top could be more like thatch? It seems to me like these have wood or hide paneling.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Dovolente wrote:As I look at the tropic villages, knowing nothing about tropical huts, I wonder why the poles below the platform aren't either completely vertical, or completely in line with the hut poles.
Note that I probably know even less about tropical huts. But I had a construction in mind, when creating the huts: Basically you would ram some long trunks into the earth in a circle, like a tipi, but bigger (indeed I painted the stilts and the tent in one long stroke). They can be softer at the top, so you can bend them and the future tent will be more comfy (like the guy building the tropical-forest.png did, the other guy was less lucky). At the height of your head they should have a crotch. Using these crotches (and probably another, straight pole in the middle) you attach another set of trunks like spokes around a hub. Then you braid fresh, flexible twigs of whatever suitable plant around those spokes. When dry, they are rigid enough to be the platform (Really a lot of plants become much more rigid a while after being cut). Then you add some struts to the upper part of the stilts, put your leathery tent over them and voila. Probably you would then want to put clay or resin where the stilts run through the platform to hold off small animals like snakes and mice.

I do not know if something like that would really work, but that was the story in my mind. I hope it is not totally absurd.
Dovolente wrote:Also, a quick and lazy peek at Google images for 'tropical hut'/'jungle hut' shows most of structures with roofs (and even walls) of thatch--or palm fronds or whatever. Perhaps the top could be more like thatch? It seems to me like these have wood or hide paneling.
No, they are made from leather, which sinks in between the struts. But if you want thatch, the regular (non-stilt) tropical huts have that.

Greetings

Lurker
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Works for me. I think similar stilt-teepees have existed, but even if they didn't, stilt houses and teepee houses definitely have, there's no reason they shouldn't exist together.

Committed.

If you like, it would be nice to have a third variation of the swamp and tropical styles.

It's possible we should change the names of these villages, since both of these are equally useful in other contexts.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Eleazar wrote:Works for me. I think similar stilt-teepees have existed, but even if they didn't, stilt houses and teepee houses definitely have, there's no reason they shouldn't exist together.

Committed.
Nice :D
Eleazar wrote:If you like, it would be nice to have a third variation of the swamp and tropical styles.
Yepp. Here is a third variation of the swamphouses. And I realized, that the first map of "Dead Waters" had a little problem with the big swampwater2.png, so I resized that a bit.
swampwater_triple.png
swampwater_triple.png (81.03 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
Another tropical hut to follow...

Thanks

Lurker
Attachments
swampwater3.png
swampwater3.png (8.46 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
swampwater2.png
swampwater2.png (7.79 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Thanks.

Committed
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Hello,

Not so quick as I wanted, but here is the third variation of the tropical houses. It took me quite a while come up with a variant which is different enough to be worth while. I tried a few things (ropes, fur, thorny bushes as a sort of barbed wire), but could not make them look good. So I settled with just different hues of leather. In keeping with that, I adapted the second house also; it uses some sort of grey leather now.
tropical_triple.png
tropical_triple.png (65.69 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
As usual I attach the svg file also.

Greetings

Lurker
Attachments
Stilthouses.svg.zip
(1.98 MiB) Downloaded 292 times
tropical-forest3.png
tropical-forest3.png (5.8 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
tropical-forest2.png
tropical-forest2.png (5.84 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Committed again.
:)
Attempting Lucidity