Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Comment on Eleazar's Terrain Improvements or other threa

Post by thespaceinvader »

Me too. It's a great shame. If I could hope for one thing that I can;t make happen myself for Wesnoth, it would be graphics acceleration. The new stuff looks so lovely, but it runs like it's immersed in treacle.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

And supposedly it really isn't the fault of my computer. It runs slow on even very top-notch machines, or so I've heard...
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Volcano-to-water should be fixed now.

Granted there are speed issues, but once the whole map loads (i.e. once you have scrolled over the whole thing) it scrolls as fast as i could wish. I have a 2 Ghz Core 2 Duo, which isn't junk, but it's certainly not top notch.

Are you guys using 1.9.1? It's a lot snappier than 1.9.0.
Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Well, my only (literally, only) disappointment with all the terrain changes and additions in 1.9 was the water-to-land transitions. It seems that sand is the only "gradual" transition, everything else is this rocky cliff-edge-looking thing. I can't always put sand next to my water, and in some cases the rocky precipice just doesn't look right.
I'm sure there's a reason for this, (and I'd be interested in hearing it) but I would still prefer to have the option of using other "gradual" land-to-water transitions.
Disappointment based on excessively high expectations?
You don't mean to say that the old way was better? (yeah this is older than 1.8, but 1.8 looked very similar)

Anyway, i've posted my reasoning in my threads.
In Short, before this summer, every terrain had it's own transition to water-- if any. Updating a terrain was more complicated, and updating the to-water transition was horribly complicated since it involved so many terrains.

Thus my new system has only a few land-to-water transition types-- each of which is used by a bunch of terrains. This modular approach make is much easier to add terrains, alter terrains, and raises overall quality. Realistically nobody is going to have the time to do water-to-land transitions for 30 terrains to the level of quality as i have for 3 mulit-purpose water-to-land transitions.

The sand-to-water transition is still under construction.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Captain_Wrathbow

Eleazar wrote:You don't mean to say that the old way was better?
The old concept was better; the new art is way better though.
Like I said, I see the reasoning behind it now, with the massive number of transitions that would be needed, and I'm okay with it.
boru

Post by boru »

Shroud behaves differently with the cave walls. Please note the lower half of the image:
shroud.png
shroud.png (105.28 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

boru wrote:Shroud behaves differently with the cave walls. Please note the lower half of the image:
shroud.png
Unfortunately those stone walls don't do anything the way i want them to.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Captain_Wrathbow

I'm pretty sure shroud has been doing that for a long time, not just recently... You can barely see the terrain on the other side, through a one-hex-thick wall.
boru

Post by boru »

“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Captain_Wrathbow

Huh. My mistake. :?
*shrug* :P
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

If you look precisely, the top edge of the wall is visible there, too. (Might need to up the contrast of your monitor.)
Captain_Wrathbow

Yes, but you can't see the terrain on the other side, only that it's a 1-hex-thick wall.
Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink »

In case this was not clear yet, this is very probably caused by the new thiner shroud transitions. A possible fix for these terrains using perspective, would be to consider shroud higher above ground, and by the same perspective effect, make north shroud transition thicker than south ones. In theory, the whole thing should be shifted north, but we want to keep the main hex fully shrouded.

PS: will possibly looks silly, my low arts skill prevent me to draw something decent enough to evaluate the viability of this idea. But that should fix this wall problem.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

It's quite possible this will go away by itself if/when i overhaul the cave wall and non-cave wall terrains.

As it is the stone wall has a far too extreme off-set, which probably won't survive the transition. Trying to fix this now would be premature.
Attempting Lucidity
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

I'm working on my new campaign which I hope will be in mainline, but probably won't and I found a significant tiling problem with rhyging's lit cave wall.
Notice that it doesn't line up properly?
Notice that it doesn't line up properly?
Picture 6.png (79.04 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

that's because those light terrain only exist in "straight line"... you need to mix some normal wall near the changes of direction to get it to work...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim