LordBob's random stuff : Nagas and more

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Crow_T

Re: LordBob's random stuff : wraith

Post by Crow_T »

Doofus is on the right track with the arm, and I did a quick edit too- the hood and the sword blade, which may be off still but it's less disconserting IMO. I modified the hood because I didn't like the way the cheekbone and hood shapes sort of locked together like a jigsaw puzzle.
Attachments
undead-wraith2.png
undead-wraith2.png (292.63 KiB) Viewed 6869 times
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

My biggest issue is that the sword's angles seem all wrong- like, the blade seems to be /perpendicular/ to the hilt, which itself seems to be somewhat rotated when compared with the handle. Here's a quick doodle to show what I mean:
Attachments
wraith_edit.png
wraith_edit.png (224.7 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

I didn't see this the first time I looked at it, but from your doodle I get it now, I think.

In your doodle, the painting over at the hilt seems a bit odd, you make the hilt seem bent in a way that I'm not sure reflects the original.

But I think now I can see what is odd about the angles, at least to me -- basically if you look at the top of the hand (the wrist rather), and you look at where the blade points, it doesn't really line up, and it seems that the blade goes up much higher than how the hand is trying to hold it. Maybe I'm wrong and people can actually hold swords that way but somehow it looks unnatural.

This also seems to lead to the sensation that the blade must be bending at the "bump" although looking at it carefully I think it is actually straight... I can't tell if *that* sensation is actually related or if I have just become suggestible by reading the posts of others :P

Edit: Though, it definitely does look like the "corners" of the bump are not aligned the same way as the hilt... I would think that the line between the two corners of the bump should be parallel to and coplanar with the line between the two ends of the hilt, but it doesn't appear that way to me. I guess that's what the doodle is supposed to illustrate, I get it now :doh:
The doodle is showing how you would have to change the hilt to make it parallel with the bump I guess.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks for taking interest everyone, however I probably won't make any changes in the near future because I've already flattened my working files and I'm reluctant to go back to a project that had already been taking dust for a whole year. Yes, I do reckon that the sword could be more readable and the shoulder better placed. I might adress this eventually, or maybe not. There are far worse portraits in the database anyway, including my own older works.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

It is definitely a good portrait to have, IIRC there are several points in Descent into Darkness where Mal talks to wraiths and this portrait will be great in those circumstances. It is definitely much more appropriate than the ghost and imo also the spectre portrait, despite what issues there are in the sword and sword arm. I do really like the right arm and hand, and the wispy blue chains as well... As a whole the portrait is very visually interesting which is probably why I have spent as much time as this looking at it ^_^
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Hello everyone, i see you got here some nice arts, but i think once you end one art you should looks idea for another one which could be created. Here you have interesting link:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 53#p567053
(for armored yeti).
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Hello Wesnoth. It's been a looooooooong time since I last came here, however our very own Jetrel recently wrote to suggest that we unearth an old project.

This is not that project, which we're still discussing, but thinking about it made me itch to do some portraits once again. Well, I've had troll revamp sketches sitting on my pile for ages so I thought why not get them done.

This is the first of them, the whelp.
Attachments
trolls-troll_whelp.jpg
trolls-troll_whelp.png
trolls-troll_whelp.png (61.84 KiB) Viewed 5465 times
trolls-troll_whelp_small.png
trolls-troll_whelp_small.png (22.63 KiB) Viewed 5465 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Lord Bob! I was thinking we might never see you again. I'm very glad to be wrong! I like the mix of innocence and strength in this guy.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Beetlenaut hit the nail on the head. Great to see more portraits from you! :mrgreen:
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hello Lord Bob, great that you came back! Your style seems to have changed a little bit (of course) ... Is this baby troll a quicker job, or is this a cleaner method that scales better?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

I'm glad to see you guys are still around as well :)
I never really thought myself gone for good and kept doing some Wesnoth-related stuff in the background (a couple speedpaints for story art, I'll probably show them later), but in the end it did take an outside incentive to seriously get myself back to the drawing table. I'm glad it happened.

@Doofus: the answer is a bit of both. Compared to older portraits I did spend less time on tiny details and painstaking rendering that don't show up on the final artwork, and in doing so maybe ended with a less polished picture (the head is perfectible, among other things - its volumes wouldn't resist close scrutiny). At the same time, I think my painting style and brushwork are a bit looser than they used to be, so I'm often leaving on the canvas broad brushstrokes that carry the meaning I want them to without going further into detail (the leg and chest would be a good example of that).
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Not much to add besides a thumbs up. :)
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Jetrel wrote:Not much to add besides a thumbs up. :)
Same here. :)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks guys :)

Here's the next one, the troll.

After that I might be nitpicky and do some long-deserved lighting fixes on the troll hero, then next...We'll see. I have plans. :whistle:
Attachments
trolls-troll.jpg
trolls-troll.png
trolls-troll.png (106.96 KiB) Viewed 5168 times
trolls-troll_small.png
trolls-troll_small.png (22.54 KiB) Viewed 5168 times
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Nice work, as always, good job!

Looking at that last troll, I get the feeling he looks a bit shy and/or sad. Or maybe guilty. I think it has to do with the way he looks at you, a bit sideways, and his head being tucked into his shoulders a bit. And/or maybe his mouth and brow, I don't know. It might just be the way troll physiognomy is, but I wonder if that's really the character we should be giving these guys. Anybody else sees that too?
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth