Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
hhyloc
Translator

Localize logo into Vietnamese

Post by hhyloc »

Hi!
I've localized Wesnoth logo into Vietnamese. I think it still too bright and the size of each letter doesn't look quite right in the original logo but I just don't know how to fix it
I am not an artist so my logo look somewhat nooby, I'll upload both PNG and XCF file in case you guys want to do something with it.

XCF file: http://www.mediafire.com/?dtdq0yjt3hg

Comments?
R.I.P
Lizard

Re: Localize logo into Vietnamese

Post by Lizard »

Jetrel wrote:
JackBarber wrote:Another thing is you could make the text smaller and set them one atop the other instead of a on top then the rest of it right below.
Absolutely, positively not. Every roman/cyrillic translation must follow the "article on top" + "rest on one line" scheme if at all possible. Doing otherwise breaks the consistent design of the logo.
This is from the french Logo thread. Since I don't know any Vietnamese I don't know for sure which word is the artice. But I belive it should be

Code: Select all

Trân
chiên giành Wesnoth
I'm sorry about the missing dots, my keyboard does not offer them :)
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

I'm not sure about it, but place only 'trận' atop will break the 'logical' when using Vietnamese, since 'Trận chiến' means 'Battle',

I think it should be:
Trận chiến
giành
Wesnoth

or:
Trận chiến
giành Wesnoth
R.I.P
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

hhyloc wrote:I'm not sure about it, but place only 'trận' atop will break the 'logical' when using Vietnamese, since 'Trận chiến' means 'Battle',

I think it should be:
Trận chiến
giành
Wesnoth

or:
Trận chiến
giành Wesnoth
Agreed. Compound words like that don't get split when making logos.

- Bend the size of "Trận chiến" so that both words are nearer to the same horizontal size. This will help the balance of the logo.

- using the diagram on this page to know what these terms mean, adjust the placement of the text so that all 3 lines have a roughly equal distance between the baseline of one line, and the median of a line below it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascender_(typography)
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Jetrel wrote:Agreed. Compound words like that don't get split when making logos.

- Bend the size of "Trận chiến" so that both words are nearer to the same horizontal size. This will help the balance of the logo.

- using the diagram on this page to know what these terms mean, adjust the placement of the text so that all 3 lines have a roughly equal distance between the baseline of one line, and the median of a line below it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascender_(typography)
Sorry if I disappointed you but I'm not an artist, and this it the first time I ever use Gimp (and graphic software in general), so I just don't understand what are you saying :oops:
My reasons to post here are to receive comments from artists, and hopefully find some Vietnamese translators (or anyone willing) help me finish this...I must admit that I can't finish this work since I will be busy in the upcoming days and my skill is insufficience.
Conclusion: Any willing Vietnamese out there who good at drawing please help me...But if there are no one, Jetrel, sorry but I decided to stop working on it and focus on my text translations first.
Maybe I'll return to this someday, but that day will be very far ahead. :?
R.I.P
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Sorry if I disappointed you but I'm not an artist, and this it the first time I ever use Gimp (and graphic software in general), so I just don't understand what are you saying
*ZZZZAAP* (A lurker materializes in the topic)

I may be able to help. I have hidden in the woodwork long enough to possibly be able to interpret:
The top two words together make the top of the logo look "heavier" than the standard for the logos. Please try shrinking the top words so that their horizontal widths are almost the same. This will help balance the top of the logo better.

Old: [————] [—————] (the horizontal widths are quite noticeably different)
New: [----] [-----] (The words are shrunk, and the difference in widths is far less noticeable)
Essentially, you need to space the words vertically so that the space between the words is roughly the same. However, since the lines are not all the same font size, you have to adjust from there a little to make the overall look more visually appealing. Use the distance between the bottom of one line and the center of the line below it to determine the correct space between lines.
I will now resume lurking silently.