Smaller texture on roads?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
saska

Smaller texture on roads?

Post by saska »

Sorry for my not so good english. I hope you understand. And sorry if there was a topic for this kind of questions.

Hi! I am new here. I like Wesnoth but there is something that have annoyed me since I first time played it. The texture of roads just looks too big to me. I don't know why but for some reason it just doesn't fit to other land tiles.

I made a quick test image with 50% smaller texture and in my opinion its a bit better.

So, am I just strange or does it really look too big?
Airatgaljamov

Re: Smaller texture on roads?

Post by Airatgaljamov »

:hmm: hmmm new road, maybe, better
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

it seems better, more to scale with the villages etc...

however, it's the sort of stuff where I would wait for jetryl's comment, he has a very good eye for juging that sort of stuff
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I certainly wouldn't object - I agree it looks a little better =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

I like it, too. :P
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
Noyesdude

Post by Noyesdude »

Yea I looks Really good! I really wish I could do things that good!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

personally, I like the big texture.

there's a lot of stuff in Wesnoth that is not to scale at all.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Noyesdude

Post by Noyesdude »

Well would it be hard to have Both of the textures? Then the people that like the bigger can have the bigger, and the people that like the smaller can have smaller, and people that like both can have both. :)
kyi_the_bard

Post by kyi_the_bard »

I like them both. They each have a different appeal to me. The big one looks like a town square type of setting, while the smaller one appears to be a kinda worn road.
Meow
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

:hmm: I'm sharing the feelings with kyi here, they both seem to fit in. But is it too cheesy to have 2 roads with the second one just being a 50% zoom of the first one?
For the dark gods!
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

The 50% size road looks better compared to the villages because it's more in scale with the villages. The 100% road, on the other hand, is more in scale with the units. Could you post a picture with both villages and units on/beside both variations, so we can get a better feel? :hmm:
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sangel wrote:The 50% size road looks better compared to the villages because it's more in scale with the villages. The 100% road, on the other hand, is more in scale with the units. Could you post a picture with both villages and units on/beside both variations, so we can get a better feel? :hmm:
Agreed.

:annoyed: The pain in the ass is that there's really no "right way". I hate our abstraction because it's literally impossible to make it look right; we can't win either route we take. If I have any input to a hypothetical Wesnoth II, the terrain will be on the same scale as the units. Period. And this whole problem will disappear in a puff of smoke.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Part of the problem is that while the terrain is abstratc in nature, it is rendered quite realistically. The difference in scales would matter less if the terrain was depicted in symbols.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
teg

Post by teg »

I find the smaller road texture a little bit repetitive compared to the big one but I like it. It is probably more visible on smaller scale than on bigger because of the number of repetitions of the stones.
If it is chosen to use the small one, I would suggest to make an other tile of road to add some variation but it is not really an issue.
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

saska wrote:Sorry for my not so good english. I hope you understand. And sorry if there was a topic for this kind of questions.
:lol2:
Well, if your English is "not-so-good", I bet that it's merely the Finnish people's I-can't-speak-English-although-my-English-is-actually-as-good-as-perfect-syndrome. ;)

Good work on the road. I think that it needs some re-fleshing though. Bit more contrast and cleaning up. :)