The Hammer of Thursagan portrait repaints

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
DUHH
Art Contributor

Re: The Hammer of Thursagan portrait repaints(update4)

Post by DUHH »

thespaceinvader wrote:Having said that, and from that point of view, I'm quite OK with the anatomy here. Looks fine to me.
That´s basically the bottom-line for me. It looks OK to me, and I won´t use a lot of time and effort changing it this late in the process.
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Done a bit more work. Still not finished, and there´s lot´s of parts I haven´t really touched much yet. Trying to fix most of the complaints, except the head-thingie.
Attachments
angarthing6.png
angarthing6.png (240.05 KiB) Viewed 4972 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

His head is at an angle, but that triangle thing on his forehead looks like it's perpendicular to the camera.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

This is great! I have two nitpicks though. The links of chain mail on his shoulders seem wrong. They narrow horizontally, but the perspective should make them thinner vertically. Also, there is a problem with his hand on the ball of his morningstar. There is no way some of the spikes are not digging into his hand. The visible spikes come up higher than his fingers, so the ones you can't see should come up that high as well--through his fingers.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Beetlenaut: He´s an expert at handling spiky balls, and though his grip may look dangerous his hands are protected both by his leather gloves and impeccable grip. :wink:

Anyhow... New version. Starting to feel that it should be close to finished. What do people think?
Attachments
angarthing7.png
angarthing7.png (248.11 KiB) Viewed 4619 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Nearly there. The only slight issue that i still have is with the fix you made to zookeeper's rit - you've rotated it round in place, but that wasn't the issue. The issue was that his head is facing approximately 20 degrees away from camera, where the symbol seems to be facing directly twoards camera. It needs a little foreshortening on the arm of the symbol which is further from camera.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

thespaceinvader wrote:Nearly there. The only slight issue that i still have is with the fix you made to zookeeper's rit - you've rotated it round in place, but that wasn't the issue. The issue was that his head is facing approximately 20 degrees away from camera, where the symbol seems to be facing directly twoards camera. It needs a little foreshortening on the arm of the symbol which is further from camera.
I didn´t rotate it, I actually tried to foreshorten it rather quickly. But I will probably have tset up a whole little perspective-grid for the head and draw the thing properly. Oh, how I hate drawing properly! :cry:
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Hopefully final version:
Attachments
angarthing8.png
angarthing8.png (185.12 KiB) Viewed 4516 times
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Abgarthing turned out great - only the head-thingie, the braids and the mace need a bit more work:

The golden part of the tiara melts too much with the haircolour - a more distinct outline or a little colour shifting should help. And I'm afraid the triangle part still looks off - make the rear half of it more narrow.
The braids of his beard don't look braided but rather softly bundeled - is that on purpose or didn't you find a nice way to draw braids? If that is the case a bit linework indicating where the hair lays on top of each other would be needed.
The mace doesn't appear metallic but rather plastic-y due to the soft light you applied - have a look at lordbob's iron mauler portrait for a great mace!

And once again: I really like his expression and his mysterious big eyes!
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Thanks!

I have no idea of where to go with the headbandthingie. I´m pretty certain that my perspective is actually correct, but still it looks off. Maybe I´ll just cop out and change the shape.

The braids are just sloppy work from me. I should have looked up references. Will do that.
JW

Post by JW »

I've said it before, but I will say it again: I love how you draw hair. :P I also love the golden wrists!

The only thing I can notice (but it's probably been pointed out already) is that the mace handle is just slightly crooked.
ink

Post by ink »

I don't know what the others think, but I would draw it like this:
angarthing8.png
angarthing8.png (185.95 KiB) Viewed 4296 times
Hope it helps
Some of my websites (mostly in french)
http://inkorpora.com | http://hot-team.org | http://jak.nu11.info
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

I share Ink's opinion about the headband. A good checkpoint when drawing it is that, provided you're going for a symetric crescent, the imaginary line linking the spikes of the crescent should be parallel to the one linking the tip of the cheek guards (for lack of a better word)

Something bothers me in the handle of the mace, and I think it is the handle and top cover not sharing the same lightsource : on the handle, the brightest line is closer to his chest, but my eye expects a different light source (the one for the top cover seems to be located on the right). His tunic may reflect light toward the handle, but said reflection shouldn't be brighter than your primary lightsource. (Right now, I'm reading the handle as an impossibly hollow shape. :hmm: )
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Thanks for the feedback. By the way, LordBob, where can I find your iron mauler portrait?

EDIT: Think I found it...
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Howdie...

Just posting to say I´m still alive and motivated. Just been too much other stuff happening.

I´m gonna finish the Angarthing-portrait very soon, but I haven´t fixed the last tidbits yet.

Apart from that the only significant progress I´ve made is inking Hamel and starting to color Ratheln.

Hopefully I´ll be able to do more work sometime soon, but I really don´t know when. The schedule is tight, and money is tighter. But oh well... I´ll manage to squeeze it in somehow, since it´s great fun to draw fantasy stuff and get righteously slaughtered by your critiques, and thereby learn to raise my standards. ;)
Attachments
hamel2.png
hamel2.png (123.59 KiB) Viewed 3508 times
ratheln4.png
ratheln4.png (164.85 KiB) Viewed 3510 times