The Hammer of Thursagan portrait repaints

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: The Hammer of Thursagan portrait repaints(update4)

Post by thespaceinvader »

Awesome! I was thinking about dropping you a PM wondering when you were going to be back, but here you are.

Looking good =D I particularly like the gryphon-hide cloak. That's coming out really well. Ratheln's nose looks maybe a touch on the straight side though - it seems to go vertically up without bending in for the bridge/brow. But overall, these are looking great. I look forward to seeing more =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

I'm glad to have you still with us as well! Real life is evil...

Hamel looks great, you have such nice smooth lines! Something about his moustache makes me smile, funny but in a good way! And as a gal I appreciate his sexy posture, nice mini-skirt :P
Ratheln's cloak is cool - the gryphon hide was a terrific idea! I've got no problem with his nose, but if you want to have some nitpicking his ear is a bit on the small side.

Can't wait to see more from you again!
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Thanks.

About the nose and the ears... Ratheln was always teased at school for them... The kids used to call him Monkey Neeson. And that´s why he became a mage... :hmm:

In other words... I´ll keep both comments in mind.

Here´s some small progress:
Attachments
ratheln5.png
ratheln5.png (203.75 KiB) Viewed 5196 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I'm not sure about how blue his robe has gotten - did you sample the colours of the Red Mage portraits? That aside, he's looking great =D
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I wouldn't worry about the ears, I've seen far smaller ears in real life. Why always depict a medium size?
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Nice fur and feathers! As tsi mentioned the white cloth is a bit strange, I'm not bothered by the blue hues you chose but the folds don't look very cloth-like.

And no, the ear is not too small but on the small side.
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

DUHH wrote:But still time to post Perrin, before he drives me nuts. Not finished by far, and there´s a lot of stuff I don´t like there, but I need to hear if you guys dislike the same stuff as me, or even more stuff. Critiques wanted, badly.
DUHH, I know this is from a while back, but I'd just like to check the status of the Perrin portrait. As far as I could gather, he was not favoured for the HoT, so he might be homeless. In any event, he would work brilliantly for a character in my campaign, so I'd just like to make sure it's ok to use it.
Spoiler:
If he is available to use, is there anything you still feel you need to do to finish it or could I use it as is? In any event, congratulations on the lovely portraits.
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Thanks.

ESR asked first to use the Perrin-portrait for another campaign, and since I´ve finally decided I should do another Perrin I think ESR has dibs on the old portrait. So I sent him a message asking if he still wants it. If not, then by all means take it.

It´s not finished yet, though, so I´ll wait for finall word on which campaign he´ll be in and finish him with whatever changes as soon as possible.
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Hopefully commitable version of Angarthing. Have tried to fix the complaints(Still ended up winging the headpiece after countless unsuccessfull experiments. For the love of God, I don´t know what I´m doing wrong), and implement the changes from ESR. Hope everyone is satisfied.
Attachments
angarthing9.png
angarthing9.png (181.4 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

Hopefully nearing commitability(Is that a word?) on Ratheln.

Thinking about doing a design of some sort on his white coat, but haven´t found anything that matches yet. What do you guys think? Plain white or flame-design?
Attachments
ratheln6.png
ratheln6.png (208.46 KiB) Viewed 4294 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Something based on Cunieform or Ugaritic would be appropriate, given that this style of script is becoming the Wesnoth human magic runic script.

For dwarves, it's Elder Futhark, if you're interested.

I think they're both pretty much there, now. You need some funky magic effects for Ratheln's staff first, though.
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

Maybe you could make the Staff Jewel glow.
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

thespaceinvader wrote:Something based on Cunieform or Ugaritic would be appropriate, given that this style of script is becoming the Wesnoth human magic runic script.

For dwarves, it's Elder Futhark, if you're interested.

I think they're both pretty much there, now. You need some funky magic effects for Ratheln's staff first, though.
Thanks!

I´m a big fan(?) of Cyrus´s cylinder, so yeah... maybe some cunieform... If not on this, then on some other magician.

And I´ve already been using Elder Futhark for the dwarves. (If you look closely on Angarthings apron you´ll see "Big Brother Is Watching You" written in (new)Norwegian with runes. Silly me).

And I´ve more or less copied the magic-effects from Kitty´s mages. Which is just a little white halo around the globe. But... I´m not averse to making it more visible, as long as I don´t have to change the lighting too much(It was glowing red in earlier versions, but that simply didn´t look as good so I redrew a whole lot of egde-lighting on the character).
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I hadn't noticed the runes. But that's a nice little hidden message =)
DUHH
Art Contributor

Post by DUHH »

thespaceinvader wrote:I hadn't noticed the runes. But that's a nice little hidden message =)
Well, he is a Witness, so I thought it was a nice joke that no-one would ever find...

Anyhow... Will have to fix the glow of the staff. Just saw it for the first time on black background, and I´ve certainly done a hack-job. The only question is whether to keep it simple like in Kittys portraits or make it radiate a bit more... hmmm?