My Terrain (Mine!)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
tekelili

Re: My Terrain (Mine!)

Post by tekelili »

I am currently using Ds^Esd as beach embellishment. Almost all my random generated maps have about 10% of beachs next to ocean becoming Ds^Esd. I think it looks quite better than a plain beach fully done with Ds. Your new terrain doesnt look so good for that task, so I would ask for not a remplacement if is going to be added to mainline.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Wait, apologies, nevermind, it is a mainline terrain. I totally forgot about it.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I noticed there are only two igloos, and one of them looks like crap. There were more versions, but they weren't realistic enough, so only two were committed, and I guess I didn't pay enough attention to igloo2.png. In any case, here's more variety in a small tar-bomb that can just be opened to the images/terrain/village folder, no new WML needed.
igloo-new-shot.jpg
igloos.tgz
(24.68 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
The ramshackle version, igloo4.png, looks nice to me, but may be too goofy.

EDIT:
While I'm at it, how about a new impassable terrain for the frozen group (which doesn't have many terrains)? This would be sharp ice-shards, probably not natural.
Attachments
ice-barrier.jpg
ice-barrier.jpg (34.73 KiB) Viewed 5096 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Jarom
Location: Green Isle, Irdya or Poland, Earth - I'm not quite sure

Post by Jarom »

Ice barrier looks nice, I'll probably use them... some day.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The igloos are great.

The ice shards have a really bad gamma curve - the midrange luminosities are far too dark. This makes them look right now like they're made out of steel. Other than that, they're quite nice.

It also may help to give them a tad more blue, though their hue is definitely in the right direction.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I was poking at the desert mountains, used the desert villages in the editor, and realized they were kind of blurry and off-kilter. I think these are an improvement, but similar enough to not disturb anything:
dryvillages.jpg
The old villages are to the south-east. There are seven images, so either the best can be picked or the NEW:VILLAGE macro can be updated. The .tgz can be unpacked directly in the core/images/terrain/village/.
village_desert.tgz
(57.46 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
(I haven't given up on the ice-shards, by the way.)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I got ruined versions too, I think they would at least fit in UtBS, if nowhere else.
Attachments
village_desert-ruin.tgz
(63.8 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
dryvillages-ruin.jpg
dryvillages-ruin.jpg (88.9 KiB) Viewed 4755 times
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Oooooh, those are all so nice! I tend to be a fan of ruined villages, I make a weirdly large amount of really desolate smoldering maps.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Wonderful; they're in. I did alter the offset of all of them slightly so they sit a bit higher in the hex.

P.S. I'm still working on the mountains.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

There are basically two "underground" walls: cave and castle.
Two possible intermediates occurred to me: crude stone walls or wood-reinforced mine walls. For whatever reason, I went with the mine walls.
This is should be a cave-wall alternative, like the "hewn" wall, and similar macros should work. There are a few cave-mine transitions that may be a problem however (red arrows in JPG), and will probably need some special rules. The NEW:WALL macros does support variations, so details on the wooden beams don't need to be perfect clones, once the design & color is final.
mine-walls.jpg
This TGZ is a tarbomb that can be opened in images/terrain/cave. The images aren't final, but I include them in case there is something to test. Transitions to chasm etc would be nice, but we'll worry about it later.
EDIT: Removed TGZ file, see below for updated file.
Last edited by doofus-01 on February 28th, 2016, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

That's very nice. I have a scenario that it would be perfect for too. (I understand why the black color doesn't always fill in the whole hex for the three north edges, but I think it would look better if it did.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Yeah, those are very good.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Niiiiice :D Will probably commit them when you finish.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks. I made the rocks less grey and did a few other touch-ups and variations. This archive has the new (final?) images. I think the regular cave wall transitions cover most cases (water, chasm, other caves, etc.), but it's possible I missed something.
Attachments
wall-mine.tgz
(88.17 KiB) Downloaded 202 times