Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: My Terrain (Mine!)

Post by doofus-01 »

Maybe they open the other way... Some variety would be nice, I guess I can make one closed door (like the two near the middle) flipped wrt to the other closed door (like the once near the bottom).

I think this is getting close to finished.
Attachments
camp4.png
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Groznij

Post by Groznij »

Maybe the fort roof should have some visible means of access? :)

The addition of rubble is sweet. Perhaps some buildup of dust, as well?
SFault

Post by SFault »

I'm having some difficulties to understand if the boards are supposed to be a roof or a floor. I assume it's a roof, but it's missing some visible means of support. Especially on large areas it makes me wonder how it stays up. Also, it might seem odd that the units stand on the roof.

If it's a floor, it's very high. Also the door cannot be then leading into such a dark space if there's nothing blocking the sunlight.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

reading the above I suggest a trapdoor hatch from time
there are probably columns below the boards to hold them up
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

SFault wrote:I'm having some difficulties to understand if the boards are supposed to be a roof or a floor. I assume it's a roof, but it's missing some visible means of support. Especially on large areas it makes me wonder how it stays up.
It's a roof. It has no visible means of support because it would be supported by beams and pillars under the roof, which don't show for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I think the latest version is looking pretty good. Maybe roughen the edges of some planks a bit to break up the horizontal lines more, and make the texture of the wood stand out just a little more. Also I think the stack of three planks on the left looks a bit out of place - the shading and perspective don't seem to quite match the rest of the terrain.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Right, it's a roof just like most of the other keeps. A trap door might add flavour, but it also might be confusing since there are sometimes real trap doors that do lead somewhere.

I've done some minor touch-ups and changed the detritus overlays a bit (I agree the wood stack wasn't so great).

I've reached the point of diminishing returns, I'll have to consider this done. Unless Eleazar or someone else in charge says otherwise. Or there is something very specific.
Attachments
test-camp.tgz
(180.2 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
camp5.png
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Nice. The screenshot makes it look a bit odd, but I think it will look great in the real uses where there will only be one keep hex that is adjacent or surrounded by encampment.

Also, I see a minor glitch with some of the trees layering over it, but you were probably aware of that.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks. It does look a bit odd when there are large patches of keeps, but I think it's because it's a wood building as much as it is any drawing flaws. I mostly wanted to show that the floor pattern wasn't purely repetitive.
-------------------------
In other news, there was a fire. Or a chemical spill.
dead-trees.png
dead-trees.png (416.3 KiB) Viewed 4489 times
It's not finished, but I was wondering how much use there would be for such a terrain.

I think it's possible to have a movement alias of forest, but not have the "ambush" ability (or whatever it is the elf rangers have) active? I haven't tested it, I'm not sure it even matters.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

We do have dead tree terrains as far as I know, your version is a little too..hmm..how to express it..ascetic?
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

StDrake wrote:We do have dead tree terrains as far as I know
My thoughts exactly.

If you want it to be more obviously not just winter trees or something, I think it would need more work, because right now it looks more like very dull, very grey stone, of some strange spiky form.
Existing dead stuff - maybe you could just 'de-snow' this?
Existing dead stuff - maybe you could just 'de-snow' this?
deciduous-winter-snow-tile.png (10.81 KiB) Viewed 4442 times
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Reepurr wrote:maybe you could just 'de-snow' this?
Just wanted to say, there's already a 'de-snowed' form.
deciduous-winter.png
deciduous-winter.png (8.73 KiB) Viewed 4437 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

That's hardly the same thing. (And looks outdated anyway...)
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

The problem with these trees as I see them is that the dark outline is too strong and the trees are too large and tall. Most of the other tree-trunks in mainline have little outline and less shading- so it seems that emphasizing form over texture in this case may not be a good idea.
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

I think it looks okay, though I do agree that they look a bit large next to other trees.
grzywacz
Inactive Developer

Post by grzywacz »

Bone Forest? :shock: