Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Terrain

Post by doofus-01 »

Some things were bothering me about the desert villages, I think I've fixed them. I'm not sure if it is enough of a change to warrant an update, but in case it is:
Attachments
NE is 1.9.1, SW is new
NE is 1.9.1, SW is new
desert.tgz
(29.56 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

doofus-01 wrote:Some things were bothering me about the desert villages, I think I've fixed them. I'm not sure if it is enough of a change to warrant an update, but in case it is:
It is trivial to commit updated images when all i need to do is copy them over files of the same name. I.E. much, much easier than wiring in and testing a new terrain, or critiquing a work in progress.

But i want to see what's been changed, and your image is not very helpful in seeing what is different.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Tet

Post by Tet »

I like the troll castle in this stonhenge-style.

I think it would be cool to make this castle more round.

My idea would be to make the six hex around a keep more or less a full circle.

A four hex would look like an eye.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Eleazar: If you can't see it in the image, then it is too subtle. I now don't think I really fixed it anyway, they still look kind of puffy. I'll give it another shot some other time.

Tet: I'm afraid I don't follow.

-----------------------------
Would there be any use for "undead variations" of villages? This isn't done of course, but it shows what I mean.
Attachments
undead1.png
undead1.png (434.21 KiB) Viewed 3933 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Usable semi-ruin variants? Hell, yes. Anywhere you've had a hard battle, anywhere the locals are stricken with poverty, or where the Main Baddie has shwon up and is taxing his poor subjects into penury, and so on. OTOH I don't see why any such variants should specifically targeted for the undead faction.

Kraus

Post by Kraus »

Would there be any use for "undead variations" of villages?
Yes, yes there would.
"Oh, to the hades with the manners - he's a complete [censored], and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De'Arnise
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Simons Mith wrote:OTOH I don't see why any such variants should specifically targeted for the undead faction.
I've always thought it odd that a village could be taxed by skeletons and could quarter and heal zombies. It is conceivable that something like an orc, elf, or human could occupy a captured village and threaten/negotiate with the residents, but not so much an undead. Maybe some things just shouldn't be thought on too hard.
--------------------------------------------
I'm not sure if these are damaged enough, but I don't want to make them look completely broken. If anyone wants to use them, here are the images.
undead-city.tgz
(33.15 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
undead2.png
undead2.png (530.96 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
It was discussed in another thread that the human cities looked different from all the other villages. I just noticed that they are mostly pixel art (I can be a little slow), that might have something to do with it.
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

doofus-01 wrote:I've always thought it odd that a village could be taxed by skeletons and could quarter and heal zombies. It is conceivable that something like an orc, elf, or human could occupy a captured village and threaten/negotiate with the residents, but not so much an undead. Maybe some things just shouldn't be thought on too hard.
Undead taxation makes as much sense as any other faction. Presumably whomever created/controls them just lets it be known that anyone who doesn't pay up when his minions come around will be... "conscripted". Alternately, they just pillage all the valuables.

The healing is slightly less clear. Maybe they replace damaged bits with spares from the village graveyard. Or maybe sacrifice a few villagers to perform some ritual. The latter would at least make sense with ghosts and bats - since they have drain, you could basically just feed them some civilians.

Anyway, the ruined villages look good.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

These look great and will definitely find some use.

Though I'd tend to agree with Simons Mith : if it comes to it, orcs, trolls and goblins are scarcely better caretakers of human villages than undead. Elves would tend to add some green to cold dwarf villages, saurians only feel at ease with a foot's deep of mud, merfolk bathe in the trough ; not to mention what drakes do to your living room...In the end, any village of any race controlled by an "enemy" faction would show traces of occupation.

So either we have enough resources to produce "occupied" variants of every single village and develop the underlying code, or we simply keep them as great scenery variations. Both options being very welcome :hmm: :)
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Looks good Doofus.
For now i'll commit them just as a "ruined" village variant. Anyone who wants to experiment with village-image-swapping WML will have images all ready to work with.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks guys.
LordBob wrote:So either we have enough resources to produce "occupied" variants of every single village and develop the underlying code, or we simply keep them as great scenery variations.
We might be able to get variants for enough villages. I suspect orcish villages, huts, merman villages, and the igloo-like stone villages don't really need variations. The dwarf villages, human villages, elf villages... that might be it? Sounds doable. I'm not sure about drake villages or desert villages, I'd leave that for last.

-------------------
I tried to make a path marker overlay using the bridge macros. It almost works, but it might be nice to be able to have it be wider. The stones look repetitive because there was a lot of copy & paste in this version, I wanted to get the mechanics worked out first. If anyone has any (WML) ideas for that, please let me know.
Attachments
path-shot.png
path-shot.png (427.59 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

unfortunately i'll be away for 3 weeks, so help will be slim, but I think the remaining glitches should be easy to fix on the WML side...

could you post your WML and frames ? i'll try to have a look before I leave...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

The path marker is a great idea. Can we also have a single-file version? Putting a double row of stones to mark a road is costly. Out in the wilds, a single row gets you twice the distance marked for the same number of rocks. And single stones placed strategically at junctions and the like is cheaper still. Can also be used as boundary markers and so forth.

Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

doofus-01 wrote: I tried to make a path marker overlay using the bridge macros. It almost works, but it might be nice to be able to have it be wider. The stones look repetitive because there was a lot of copy & paste in this version, I wanted to get the mechanics worked out first. If anyone has any (WML) ideas for that, please let me know.
Why not try the wall macros instead? If each corner was made straight instead of bent so that joints appeared in the centres of the edges it might work. It also has the advantage of requiring no new WML if it works. Also, if it goes after the castle walls, then the stones would automatically disappear against castles, which would be nice. Another "path end" overlay that does nothing at all could allow for open ends.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The regular corner/castle/cavewall transition system seems like the way to go if you want two rows.