Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Terrain

Post by doofus-01 »

Getting started on ruins version (didn't get far with the keeps yet):
Attachments
marble-shot4.png
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

I'd just like to note that the first marble castle you've made is teal, and the ruined marble castle is mint green. The castle in a previous post with the variable pillar toppers is umber or something, but that's probably due to the day/night color filters.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Well, [acronym=I'm not an artist]INAA[/acronym], but it doesn't seem "ruined" enough to me.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Well, [acronym=I'm not an artist]INAA[/acronym], but it doesn't seem "ruined" enough to me.
Really?
doofus-01 wrote:Getting started on ruins version (didn't get far with the keeps yet):
I've emphasised the key words, but that really shouldn't be needed. Please do not make this kind of post; it provides no useful critique and needlessly clutters the thread.

Think before you post. If your post adds nothing of value to the topic of conversation, then don't post it.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

Wow :o Very nice, especially the collapsed door. :)
R.I.P
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Neoskel:Those colours sound kind of silly. Hopefully these are better.
Sangel: Thanks.
hhyloc: Thanks.

These are about finished, to my eyes. The ruined keep floor tile probably needs to be "ruined" but I'm not sure how to do that right now. At least it is just one image.

The other known issue is that the walls are cut just like the standard human castles, so mixing castles is glitchy. I will try to move everything over to a system where walls are not cut in the center, but rather at the tower/wall union. I'll start with encampment/standard castle, rather than these marble things, because that is one of the few combos that actually sounds useful. The dwarf castle I will not touch.
EDIT:removed a tarball.
Attachments
marble.tgz
(189.02 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
marble-shot5.png
Last edited by doofus-01 on October 1st, 2010, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

doofus-01 wrote:These are about finished, to my eyes. The ruined keep floor tile probably needs to be "ruined" but I'm not sure how to do that right now. At least it is just one image.
Well, marble gets that kind of glossy sheen only when kept very smooth and polished. This is probably a case where a completely different texture would be appropriate, or perhaps a variety of textures, showing pitting, abrasion, and a generally duller stone surface.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Good point. I've removed the shiny stuff and added little pieces of rubble.
EDIT: removed tarball, see below.
Attachments
marble-shot6.png
Last edited by doofus-01 on October 2nd, 2010, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

It maybe that some dirt would make it look better... and maybe some webs here and there. IMO.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Even better, cracks and large holes in the marble floor of the ruined castle and more damage to the walls of the ruin castle would be cool. Maybe do as the human castle does and make piles of rubble around the towers.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Cracks & holes would probably need to be multi-hex, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. I doubt any map would use a keep as large as the one in I last posted. Also, we don't want the floor to look like a trap.

I think dirt and cobwebs would be better as embellishments, so they could be optional.

I'm not adding anything to the outside of the walls because I don't want the total footprint to get any larger.
-------------------------------------
EDIT: It couldn't hurt to dirty the edges a bit more though. Now I think this is finished. I'm certainly sick of working on it.
Attachments
ruin.tgz
(268.7 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
marble-shot7.png
marble-shot7.png (219.01 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

This is mostly just a recolor, but I needed to get a grip on how the cave walls worked. Fortunately they are very similar to castles. The problem here is that this ends up looking like there is a higher snow plane that someone should be able to walk on. But leaving it black didn't seem right.
Attachments
snow-shot8.png
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Perhaps for the ruined marble, make little chips, dings, nicks, and holes into the marble, rather than rocks laying on top.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

There already are some dings, I guess there could be more in the keep section. I think the castle section is dinged enough.

------------

I have started working on a wall. It uses the same WML as the cave and castle, so the mechanics are a different than the current brick wall. I remember reading somewhere that there was a problem with the current wall, but I don't know what the plan for it was, if there was one. As you can see, my wall is not really shaded or textured, would it be worth trying to make another brick wall, or will the current one be fine and I should do something else?
Attachments
wall-shot1.png
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I have been looking into cutting up the current stone wall in a more castle-like way so we could make it intrude less to neighbouring hexes (it'd become an overlay terrain, since the wall on a hex can't cover up the whole hex without it becoming very intrusive) as well as fix the layering issues it has. Since I also want to retain the nice straight diagonal walls (instead of jagged ones like in yours), it's a bit complicated and progress is slow'ish. I'll try to take another look at it tonight. :hmm: