Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Re: Dragon sprite

Post by Mefisto »

I think that in this view your dragon shows too much of abdomen and too little of back. I made quick sketch to show what I mean. And probably it would be better if it has his heel slightly higher, his elbow slightly higher too and his knee slightly higher and more backward too. But I'm not sure.
Attachments
dragon_fire_attack_ne_wip_enhancements_quick_and_dirty.jpg
dragon_fire_attack_ne_wip_enhancements_quick_and_dirty.jpg (50.49 KiB) Viewed 5712 times
SomeOneNamedMe

Post by SomeOneNamedMe »

Sorry if this is late but the closest leg from your first try on perspective would look better than the one on you second image
pixelmind
Art Contributor

Post by pixelmind »

Finally found some time to continue to work on this.
I hope the legs look better now but I have some trouble getting the wings right :|

Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

pixelmind wrote:Finally found some time to continue to work on this.
I hope the legs look better now but I have some trouble getting the wings right :|
Wow, man. You are absolutely amazing.

couple things;
> I think you're right about the wing. Specifically the front one looks smaller than the back one (true or not, that's what I see).
> I think the front-right foot (the dragon's front foot, not the one closest to the viewer) might be just a hair too far forward, stretching that leg. again "forward" in this case meaning in the direction the dragon is facing, not moving toward the viewer, the se-facing dragon has his feet squarely under him and I think the composition of the leg looks much better for it.
> the horn closer to the viewer looks like its set a little forward on the head compared to the other in that frame (and both in the original se-frame).

I'll leave more specific stuff to artists- but that's what nags at me after looking at it for a minute.

anyway, like I said, absolutely amazing work.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The legs look good, barring the fact that the visible forearm in the north frame grows about 30% longer in that frame...

The wings... are gonna be tough. Wish i could provide more help there...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I would suggest either shifting his shoulders right, or his front legs left, because as the moment it seems like he's leaning very far left.
pixelmind
Art Contributor

Post by pixelmind »

I realigned the front-right foot and made the right wing slightly bigger ( I tried several different poses for the wings but they all look odd :annoyed: )

I'm not sure if the head is facing the right direction( maybe it needs to be tilt a bit left ).
Attachments
dragon_fire_attack_ne_wip4.jpg
dragon_fire_attack_ne_wip4.jpg (34.08 KiB) Viewed 5124 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Looks great =)

Fantastic work, keep it up =D
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
SomeOneNamedMe

Post by SomeOneNamedMe »

for your wing problem the only thing i can say is i think the wing is in the right position you just have extra wing membrane it needs to be tighter and not hang out to the right

Edit

maybe turn it clockwise a bit and make the part from the tip of the wing to the part were it joins the body straiter and maybe bump left (looking at the drawing) a bit.
pixelmind
Art Contributor

Post by pixelmind »

It's time to resurrect this thread and finish the Dragon :)

Here is the north-east facing animation:

I'm trying to figure out how to do the tail slap animation.
Is it possible to play animations at the beginning and the end of a attack sequence ?
When the dragon spins around at each attack it would probably look strange for a big creature like this.
Instead it would be nice if the dragon turns arround when it attacks the first time and then turns back at the end of all attack animations ( lots of frames to do :P )
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

You can definitely play one at the beginning (the only use of this in mainline is a filtered one where the Ulfzerker laughs maniacally if you use it on a unit without a melee attack, but I have plans to use it for the Thief line's Backstab too), but I'm not sure about the end.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

pixelmind wrote:It's time to resurrect this thread and finish the Dragon :)

Here is the north-east facing animation:

I'm trying to figure out how to do the tail slap animation.
Is it possible to play animations at the beginning and the end of a attack sequence ?
When the dragon spins around at each attack it would probably look strange for a big creature like this.
Instead it would be nice if the dragon turns arround when it attacks the first time and then turns back at the end of all attack animations ( lots of frames to do :P )
options:
1] having him turn around, which IMO would look dumb
2] have the dragon lift off and swipe his tail forward (like an upside-down scorpion). This would be best IMO if we stick with the tail-strike.
3] change the tail strike to some other form of impact.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

A careless backhanded swat with one of the forelimbs would look good I think - AWAY, LITTLE INSECT *smack*
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

I also approve a simple "Splath like a mosquito" with any of the claws or tail (possible with tremor effect to give a more strong effect) since its a 1 hit only (no?)

Good thing with claws is that it should be easier to draw than "the tail moves in all directions" and the effect should be nearly the same.

Welcomed again, your dragon is eager to tear pieces of other units foolish enough to fight him. you surely were missed :)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Problem with using those limbs for impact damage is that they're clawed, which would raise questions concerning slash damage, even if the smack is made to look really impactey.

Perhaps the dragon could have really impressive horns and headbutt for impact. Or where do you think those drakes gladiators would've adapted their peculiar choice for impact damaging? :wink:
I wish I had more time in my hands.