Mermen: Fighter Portrait

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
JW

Re: Mermaid initiate portrait

Post by JW »

I wasn't sure how I'd feel, so I remained silent until now, and although I'm generally against censorship in this case I think covered breasts work better.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

The bust still draws my attention, no matter if it is covered or naked. I personally think it is because of the position/angle of the "virtual camera", somehow. It seems to be below and in front of her, rather than slightly above and in front.

It remains to be seen whether the problems dissipate in one version or another when colored.

Reference - don't kill me.

EDIT: In the second pic in that reference post (I know it wasn't a serious proposal, yep), as well as the first, what really draws my attention are the leaves because they are ridiculously big. Nonetheless, what I'd go for, personally, if I were trying to save my life from angry parents*, would be completely hiding the breasts under hair, except perhaps a few outlines.

* my mother definitively would not censor this kind of work, given the purpose of it, but that might also be because she's much closer to art than most "angry parents" are.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Shadow Master wrote:The bust still draws my attention, no matter if it is covered or naked. I personally think it is because of the position/angle of the "virtual camera", somehow. It seems to be below and in front of her, rather than slightly above and in front.
The camera definately is below, or at least not above her.
I actually thought, this perspective was intentional.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I wonder if the top might be better if it covered her stomach as well? She could then have a waistband or belt made of kelp, and the cloth would not need to be so tight. Could still be wet, but have heavier folds. Just an idea.

Details could be fun, and it might not look censored or cheesecake. (<- maybe useless opinion, but it looks that way to me. I think more clothes or no clothes would be better.)
TL

Post by TL »

Odd, I find that this perspective very strongly concentrates attention on the face; not only is it a superbly striking face to begin with, the slight slant draws the eye upwards and the negative space surrounding the head provides excellent framing contrast. Clearly I must be the only one whose mind isn't in the gutter. :wink:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Shadow Master wrote:It remains to be seen whether the problems dissipate in one version or another when colored.
This is perhaps the greatest mystery here. :hmm:
doofus-01 wrote:Details could be fun, and it might not look censored or cheesecake. (<- maybe useless opinion, but it looks that way to me. I think more clothes or no clothes would be better.)
More clothes would be ridiculous for merfolk though; there is a reason for diving equipment to be tightly fit to our bodies. Do I make sense?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

You make sense, Shadow Master. I was just saying that the spandex swimsuit looked like a censor or goofy compromise. More clothes would allow the option of using folds of cloth, no matter how wet & translucent the fabric. A belt would keep it from falling off.

Really, I thought the whole issue was silly, no clothes would be best. And the directors didn't seem horrified by it. But if one must be careful not to offend a wide audience, then I guess you do what you must.

And it's only my opinion. I posted to offer an idea.
EDIT: For the record: I wasn't griping about censorship. But who cares, read what you want to read, Sapient. I won't post here anymore.
Last edited by doofus-01 on January 21st, 2009, 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

NOTE:
1) If you are not an art director or forum moderator then do not post in here about your opinions of censorship. TAKE IT TO OFF TOPIC
2) if you do not have a title with the word "Art" or "Portrait" in it then we do not want to hear your opinion of Breasts because you are not qualified to give useful criticism. PERIOD
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Clothing is ridiculous on this type of creature. There are better methods of censoring, already posted no less:

Seaweed/Kelp
Water/Mist
No Nipples
Jewelry
Tattoos
Hair
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Hmm, people are pretty strongly divided on this...

I don't think adding more cloth and stuff would be a very good idea because you gotta remember there are higher lvls to this unit which will probably wear more gear than the lvl one. To add distinction of being more powerful etc, and as pointed out wearing tons of gear doesn't really fit this kind of creature.

My personal preference would be to use the one with the sash.

I did flats and colored the lines for her to show what color i chose. I followed turins advice but colored it a bit more towards yellow.

I'll make a third version with longer hair to cover the nipples as well while I wait for the art devs to reply. I suppose in the end it is their decision which one to choose.
Attachments
mermaid_initiate_sash.png
mermaid_initiate_sash.png (90.88 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Kestenvarn wrote:Clothing is ridiculous on this type of creature.
Don't entirely agree. Clothing is worn for multiple reasons, including protection, warmth, modesty, identification, fashion, adornment. Even if merpeople don't have any modesty-related taboos, I bet they still have vanity. Which is probably reason enough for a pretty young mermaid to wear that top. In addition, it's credible to assume that mer-people who regularly deal with non-mer-people are more likely to wear clothing because the non-merfolk tend to expect it, regardless of how they behave amongst other merfolk.

What other adornment options might they use?

Godiva hair is one option, but it is a cliche, and I think it should be used very sparingly. In particular, Lady Godiva was a unique character, so if we are going to use that technique in-game, perhaps it should be reserved for a unique character, not frittered away on a generic unit. But Godiva hair could be very elaborate, wtih strands plaited, braided and arranged just so. In the absence of other adornment, I can see merpeople, particularly mer-nobles, really producing some elaborate coiffeurs.

Body paint - Correctly chosen body paint could be used in a way that makes nudity much less of an issue by disguising it. This does strike me as a good alternative option to try.

Armour - not relevant in this case.

Jewellery - whether shells, beads and seweed or rocks, metals, glass or jewels, items such as a string of necklaces could perform much the same function as Godiva hair.

Terrain - while portraits usually just show the unit, for merpeople it might be OK to draw some of the surrounding terrain - a bit of kelp forest or something, for example. That would serve the same purpose as the other suggestions.

Carried items - a net, for example, suitably draped, could also serve the required modesty-related purposes.

[Buggrit, I lost the first draft of this post. Very :annoyed: ]

Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Jewelry is another method very appropriate for mermaids... I forgot to include it. Tattoos may also be an alternative.

Almost excessive amounts - similar to indian bridal jewelry - could be suitable for the higher level units.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Perhaps legnthen the hair to cover the breasts? Like "adam and eve" drawings

This is in fact what Godiva hair is--and has already been suggested--Thrawn
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

So a silver and shells/pearls collar twice round could do for a level 1, let's say?
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I see nothing wrong with what the artist has done so far.

Stop discussing this (censorship concerns) here guys.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well