Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Kitty's random stuff: AoI - Erlornas

Post by thespaceinvader »

The scout looks really surly, and his head feels kind of small. I'd also suggest that a longbow like that would not be a practical tool to use on horseback.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

About the scout's perspective, yeah, there is a lot of focus on the horse... We already have a lot of more isometric mounted unit portraits and I wanted to try out another variant. So I'll probably do the next one in that fashion again but I think this variant works well enough for him. (The perspective issue is also the answer to tsi's head size observation.)
And honestly I have no idea what kind of bow to use on a horseback but the bows of japanese horseback archers as well as e.g. magyar ones looks rather long to me.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

IIRC japanese horsebows tended to be assymetrical - they had a small lower part and a long upper part, leaving a longbow that you could easily pass across the back of your horse. It's not a big issue by any means.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Well I'm not to sure but something about the chin line looks akward.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
boru

Post by boru »

It may just be my way of seeing things but I really had to hunt to find his lower leg.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
kitty

Post by kitty »

Slight edits on the scout, he's finished.
Thanks for the cool info on japanese bows, tsi, I didn't know that!
Wayfarer, thanks for the observation of the chin issue - should be fixed now.
boru, hmm, the lower leg shouldn't be the focus of the portrait, so I'll let this slide ;)

And an obviously unfinished portrait for Leaera (or something like that), a silver mage...
Attachments
Leae2.png
Leae2.png (176.79 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
aoi-scout2.png
aoi-scout2.png (337.77 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

kitty wrote:And an obviously unfinished portrait for Leaera (or something like that), a silver mage...
Linaera.

Looking nice as usual. I'm no art expert so I can't really find anything to critique.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

This is a bit nitpicky but from knowledge given in the game, silver magecraft is the most difficult type to master(i.e., it takes the longest time to perfect it). Given that Linaera has obviously mastered that branch of magic, wouldn't it make sense for her to look a bit older? Not necessarily with lots of wrinkles and white hair and such, but an old look, like what Elrond has in LotR. I guess it's not exactly old, just...tired. Someone who has seen much in the world, and is very very wise because of it.

By the way, can UMC creators use any of these portraits before they are used in mainline? Please?
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Mountain_King wrote:By the way, can UMC creators use any of these portraits before they are used in mainline? Please?
...uh, yeah. Why wouldn't they be allowed to? It's all GPL.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Glad to be helpful. :)
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
kitty

Post by kitty »

Thanks Shadowmaster!

And for the age issue Mountain_King, I always interpreted the silver, much like the white or red, as the clothing's colour not the hair's... It's an inconsistency issue, on the one hand the "real" experience gap between the unit levels is quite severe, like nearly a decade between the mage's ones, but on the other hand a unit can level within a single scenario. So I tend to choose some midway, not real old, but grown-up and experienced, so she'll get a tad older in the process but not much. (And the silver mage line doesn't take the longest to perfect at all - the arch mage goes up to level 4 ;) )
Captain_Wrathbow wrote:
Mountain_King wrote:By the way, can UMC creators use any of these portraits before they are used in mainline? Please?
...uh, yeah. Why wouldn't they be allowed to? It's all GPL.
:roll: Yeah, of course the GPL allows that - but asking is always nice. And waiting 'til it is finished is a question of niceness and respect. And she should get finished later today or tomorrow - I guess you should be able to wait that long ;)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:...uh, yeah. Why wouldn't they be allowed to? It's all GPL.
Since this is developing into a recurrent behavior on you, please refrain from commenting on licensing/legalese issues or trying to guess about other project administration matters such as moderation policies or donations.

Consider this an admin-level warning. No more shall be said about it here.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
kitty

Post by kitty »

And a (hopefully) final update on Linaera:
Linaera2.png
Linaera2.png (185.81 KiB) Viewed 3659 times
With those three (could somebody commit them, please?) my work for AoI is done for now, all the speaking role villians are orcs who will be able to use the awesome generic portraits just fine. :D
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ESR committed this trio to trunk this morning. Thanks!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

You have permission to use any portraits from wesnoth for your UMC. We smile on it, especially, when they're meant to be the same character. In fact, if you're going to have an existing character show up in your campaign, we strongly encourage using an existing portrait.

That said, it's a little weird when you're using an existing character's portrait for someone totally different, but we're not gonna stop you ... for UMC. When it comes to mainline stuff, all unique characters either need a unique portrait, or have to use a generic.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!