Loyalist Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordBob
Portrait Director

Loyalist Portrait Series

Post by LordBob »

EDIT : the loyalist portrait gallery is now complete. The final version of all portraits have been gathered on this page in order to allow for easier access

Humans (Loyalist)

PeasantImage Image
-SpearmanImage Image
--SwordsmanImage Image
--PikemanImage Image
--JavelineerImage Image
---Royal GuardImage Image
---HalberdierImage Image
-Heavy InfantryImage Image
--Shock Trooper / Iron MaulerImage Image
-SergeantImage Image
--LieutenantImage Image
---GeneralImage Image
----Grand MarshalImage ImageImage
WoodsmanImage Image
-BowmanImage Image
--LongbowmanImage Image
---Master BowmanImage Image
-FencerImage Image
--DuelistImage Image
---Master at ArmsImage Image
-CavalrymanImage Image
--Dragoon / CavalierImage Image
-HorsemanImage Image
--LancerImage Image
--KnightImage Image
---PaladinImage Image
---Grand KnightImage Image Image
Last edited by LordBob on October 30th, 2009, 7:37 am, edited 6 times in total.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Loyalist Portrait Series

Post by thespaceinvader »

Your attachment URL is broken. I suggest that you use the forum's attachments system. Look at the bottom of the posting window, you'll see a browse button, which you can use to upload files from your system.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

that's a great way to introduce yourself! welcome aboard!

and yes, the loyalists still miss most of the portraits.

your peasant looks great overall! his eyes are of different size and placed asymetrically, but that should be an easy fix. and because of the hat's form the head-shape looks a bit loopsided.
(and don't feel bound to red/magenta parts of the sprite like the peasant's tunic - they're only teamcolour. it's fine if you like them but i think personally that red is a colour for nobility not for poor peasants - but do as you like. that's just personal bias, not artisitic advise)

and try to incorporate a bit more linework in your next portraits - we try to get the portraits match one consistent style (linework and painterly shaded) at the moment. but your work shows that you should be able to produce that with ease.

keep it up! i would love to see more of your work!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

/echo kitty's sentiments. This looks very promising indeed. I look forward to seeing more of your work =)

EDIT: regarding the mainline canon style, you may want to have a look at the tutorial kitty prepared.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks for the comment and the attachment tip, I'll try and follow your suggestions.

Note that I did take a look at the tutorial before I started, but ended in two minds about the lineart. While I did have in mind the goal of "painterly shaded with line", where light is strong I tend to prefer a clear line (e.g. his left hand and sleeve, or the side of the tunic). Unfortunately, the final result is close to no line at all :?

Edit : added a few lines, switched tunic to mudish-brown, eyes & hat should look better
Attachments
human-peasant.png
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

This is the best peasant portrait I've seen. :shock: The first one really caught my eye because it has a wonderful style, but I think this second one is much closer to the Wesnoth style. Thanks for sharing this, and welcome.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
mameluke

Post by mameluke »

imho the hands are to fuzzy and undefined.
Especially _his_ left hand (and shoulder?) needs some work.

Great to see some Loyalists art!

Ps: I'm _not_ an artist, comment can be ignored :wink:
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

A couple of minor issues: firstly, the eyes seem a little over saturated, particularly compared to the rest of the image, which is fairly realistically coloured. I'd suggest toning them down a little.

Secondly, the posing seems a little bland - it's not enough to merit redoing what is an excellent portrait, if slightly out of the mainline style (but decisions relating to that are Jetryl's purview as art director, so you'll need to wait on his word as to whether it's close enough or not), but it's worth bearing in mind for the future that poses where the subject faces head-on into the camera can come across a little uninteresting.

For now, though, great job =) let's wait for jetryl's word on it.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Very nice work! I love those stains on his clothing.
His pitchfork is bent a little strangely, though--It looks like it's a rubber tube, and is drooping down towards the left side of the picture :hmm:
Anyway, good job! And welcome to the forums.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

mameluke wrote: Ps: I'm _not_ an artist, comment can be ignored :wink:
oops, I didn't give the "new artist walkthrough" here...

quoting one of my old mails

quote="Boucman"]Ok, obviously you know what your doing and your first try is close enough to mainline style to show that you'll be able to use that style with little training

so I'll give you a quick tour of our Art community so you don't get lost

basically our forums are architected around forum titles ( written under the people names, mine is "patch monkey")

* no title (or not art related title) => did nothing with regard to art
* art contributors => have shown some artistic talents
* art developers => have contributed to wesnoth
* art director (jetryl) => give the go/no-go to contributions

it is important for you to understand that discussion, because people with no art knowledge do not give comment and critics as good as people with art knowledge.

If you disagree with a comment from someone with no title, just don't follow the advice

you should consider comments from art contributors and developers as comments comming from knowledgeable people, and worth considering... Of course, your art is yours and you are free to not follow the advice, but you should consider them.

Jetryl usually have very clear comments which tell if a change is needed to get something into mainline or just a sugestion to improve.

Now the forums...

we have three art related forums
* "Art contributions" is for pieces of art intended for mainline
* "Art workshop" is for pieces for user made content
* "Art development" is limited to people with an art title. Some artists don't like having their work openly criticised, and post there instead of the open forums...

One last point... All wesnoth contributions are made under the GPL. I am not good at explaining legalese, but you should read it since your work have high chances of being mainlined at some point...

good luck with the portrait, it looks great[/quote]
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Just an addendum to what Boucman said - while usually if a person doesn't have a ____-related title, it means they don't have anything to do with ____, occasionally you have people who have custom titles who actually do have something to do with ____. For example, my title is "Lord of the East". It's not immediately obvious what that means I do, but basically I dabble in both campaign writing and pixel art, and, while my opinion on the latter should be taken with a grain of salt, I'll often know what I'm talking about. There are a few other examples of people who have these special titles, can't think of any off the top of my head.

Any no, this post wasn't made solely to point out the fact that I have a special title. I'm not that arrogant. :roll: To prove it, I'll make a comment about the artwork itself:

---

W.r.t. the guy's pitchfork; I agree with Skizzaltix, it looks bent in a strange way. And more specifically, his left hand is larger and implied to be closer to the viewer than his right, but his pitchfork doesn't seem to have any tilt on the z-axis - it should look like the top of it is closer to us than the bottom, but it doesn't.

Other than that, though, I really like it. You obviously know what you're doing, more than me anyway...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks to all for the helpful critics: taking a better look at them there really is something wrong with the hands and pitchfork. Hopefully a few minor fixes ought to improve the perspective . Though that'll be tomorrow, right now I was giving a try to the spearman (not finished yet).

Also, thanks for the "who's who" walkthrough, it does help :eng:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

As promised, I followed what advice I was given about the peasant.
Plus, here's an attempt at the spearman.

Now regarding the portraits at large, how close should they stick to the looks of the animateds unit and/or existing portraits ? For instance, the swordman's and royal guard's helms do not satisfy me. While respecting the general idea of a full helm, I'm willing to take a few liberties with its exact shape.
Also, should the portrayed units be standing still, or is it tolerated to give them dynamic poses ?

Last but not least, more of a technical question. When attaching the .png files in my post, the resulting image is darker and less saturated than the one I saved. Any idea what I owe this to ?

Edit : attachment seemed broken, should be ok now
Attachments
The loyalist spearman
The loyalist spearman
Shoulders, hands and pitchfork should look better now. Slightly desaturated the eyes and also the tunic
Shoulders, hands and pitchfork should look better now. Slightly desaturated the eyes and also the tunic
Last edited by LordBob on December 11th, 2008, 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

LordBob wrote:As promised, I hopefully followed (most of) the advice I was given about the peasant.
did you intend to attach a file? it appears to be missing
LordBob wrote: Now regarding the portraits at large, how close should they stick to the looks of the animated unit and/or existing portraits ?
Also, should the portrayed units be standing still, or is it tolerated to give them dynamic poses ?
The pose can be dynamic as long as it shows enough of the unit (i.e. not just the face) and it must be usable for general dialogue: the unit should not be in mid-attack or expressing an unusual emotion. You don't have to show specific weapons or clothing of the sprite, in fact the clothing of the sprite is not realistic enough for most portraits. However you should not show new weapons that a unit can't attack with and you should not deviate far from the new style as shown in kitty's human portraits (delfador... and?).
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

LordBob wrote:As promised, I followed what advice I was given about the peasant.

Now regarding the portraits at large, how close should they stick to the looks of the animateds unit and/or existing portraits ? For instance, the swordman's and royal guard's helms do not satisfy me. While respecting the general idea of a full helm, I'm willing to take a few liberties with its exact shape.

Last but not least, more of a technical question. When attaching the .png files in my post, the resulting image is darker and less saturated than the one I saved. Any idea what I owe this to ?
They should be immediately recognizable as the unit, but they don't, and generally shouldn't exactly match the sprite. However, you can't give the Heavy Infantry a sword, or give an elf a hammer--A great example of how to make them recognizable while not following the sprites exactly would be Kitty's work.

Also, the poses should be neutral, but not bland. They are used mostly for dialogue, meaning you need rather generic portraits (developing multiple portraits for different moods isn't what we're looking for at the moment). This doesn't mean that they have to be boring though, again I reference you to Kitty's works.

P.S, regarding titles, Forum Sith = moderator, meaning if we say things in green , you should listen to them, but it won't be about art, but rather forum policy and the like.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well