Melons Outlaw Portraits

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Melon

Re: Melons Outlaw Portraits

Post by Melon »

Updated the ghost based on the feedback.
Attachments
ghost-rough.png
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Yeah, this is better--Though, I still feel like the robe should spread out even more, almost like if the legs were spread at ~70º.
But, wait for someone else' opinion before you go in and redo it.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

While overall it's an improvement, with the new version I get the feeling that he's standing, rather than the floating of the last.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Personally, I think it could go either way. It depends on the general perception of ghosts, as most people tend to think of them as barely substantial beings (Not to mention, I am aware of how the sprite looks in game). But I have seen plenty of images of ghosts where they assume human form, and the ghost is based off of the dark adept, so the idea of a "body" filling out the old raggedy robes seems to fit well.

I think the problem that is seen by most people is that since you see so much of the form below the waist, it is very easy to picture legs under those robes. So it makes someone think it is a person standing with no face, rather than a ghost floating along. This could be altered by spreading the legs, or even making the fabric seem more in motion.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

personally, I liked your first ghost picture a lot more than this revision. I didn't see any real problems with the first one, either. my suggestion is to wait until Jetryl offers some feedback and/or direction.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sapient wrote:personally, I liked your first ghost picture a lot more than this revision. I didn't see any real problems with the first one, either. my suggestion is to wait until Jetryl offers some feedback and/or direction.
I kinda preferred the first one, but really, the reason it 'felt' better was that (overall), it looked 'rattier'. Looking ragged is very important for the ghosts. Generally, the ghost portrait is looking very promising.

As for the saurians, they're looking pretty good, but they absolutely must be in a downwards, hunched posture (like a dinosaur would have). Some things can be reinterpreted to fit people's different artistic interpretations, but that one's not negotiable - it's one of the primary things that makes the race's character what it is. It's kinda like mermen not having legs (one artist tried to do that, and .. that's not something we can change).

In my interpretation, saurians actually *can't* comfortably stand upright like a person does. It would be about as difficult for them as it would be for us to spend our time leaning back 45 degrees. They could possibly assume that position, but it would be as uncomfortable for them to do so as it would be for a dog to stand upright. Saurians are bipedal, but they're bipedal like a kangaroo, or a velociraptor (or a bird). The whole spine/pelvis/tail body balance is built around their body leaning forward, and being counterweighted by their tail.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Leaving the posing aside, what if you were to have a few more of those rune-covered ribbons? That one is pretty cool, but it looks a little bit strange having just the one... Maybe one around one of his arms, and another draped across the shoulders?

Actually, I seem to recall that there was a some guy who tried making Saurians humanoid in the past. I wonder what happened to him ;)
ael193

Post by ael193 »

The ghost is cool, looks like something I'd draw.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Skizzaltix wrote:Actually, I seem to recall that there was a some guy who tried making Saurians humanoid in the past. I wonder what happened to him ;)
He was assassinated by the secret society of turin haters. ;)
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Does that mean I'm a zombie with a sudden appreciation for non-anthropomorphic races?
Rocket Slug

Post by Rocket Slug »

Sweet, I'm getting Arcanis vibes from it, but that's a good thing :) .