the new rangers image

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
elvic

the new rangers image

Post by elvic »

i like the good old ranger and it looks more like a ranger in my opinion because black suits a ranger more in my opinion but the new one looks almost like he is a Nobel and Red RED that would stand out in a forrest. like a assasin in a group of royal gaurd in broad daylight.
Attachments
ranger.png
ranger.png (4.09 KiB) Viewed 5843 times
Picture 3.png
Picture 3.png (8.4 KiB) Viewed 5845 times
rangers rule
as many a good ranger said
"i am a predator the rest are prey"
Jozrael

Re: the new rangers image

Post by Jozrael »

I believe that would be the team-coloring, my friend.
Mica

Post by Mica »

And every unit is supposed to have team-coloring.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

The art quality of the new version is a huge jump over the old version; I'd hate to see it reverted. I also consider an earthy brown/grey colour to be more suitable for a ranger than black. The red is, as has been pointed out, team colour.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sangel wrote:The art quality of the new version is a huge jump over the old version; I'd hate to see it reverted. I also consider an earthy brown/grey colour to be more suitable for a ranger than black. The red is, as has been pointed out, team colour.
With team color, the trick to having a more "organic"-colored faction, especially in campaigns, is to pick brown or black as your team color. That's one of the reasons those were provided.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

While the new sprite looks better than the old one, I do agree that the old one looks more like an actual ranger. For some reason I just don't like the new sprite.
elvic

Post by elvic »

thaks for your ideas :D
but if the red is a team color he still looks to holy standing upright like that and his bow it looks like he bought it I thought they were suposed to be men from the wilderness?
rangers rule
as many a good ranger said
"i am a predator the rest are prey"
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

This problem occurs only in MP, not in campaigns so I think it's quite a minor one. The background of units matters much more in campaigns.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
sacred_chao

Post by sacred_chao »

elvic wrote:thaks for your ideas :D
but if the red is a team color he still looks to holy standing upright like that and his bow it looks like he bought it I thought they were suposed to be men from the wilderness?
I agree with this - a lot of it DOES appear to be in the posture.

Maybe we could split the difference with the Tcolour?

Something like this?
Picture 6.png
Picture 6.png (5.15 KiB) Viewed 5368 times
I'd like the bow to be at an angle too, but I couldn't get that looking right.
All things are true. Especially false things.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

AI wrote:While the new sprite looks better than the old one, I do agree that the old one looks more like an actual ranger. For some reason I just don't like the new sprite.
I think the new one fits with the new Wesnoth images for units. However, he looks a bit clean to me. If he was a ranger he should look a bit dirty, unshaven etc as if he has been in the wild for quite a while. Or at least i think so.

The new one still it a very good ranger. I don't think it needs to be changed when other stuff needs doing. I liked the old one but i also like the new one as they both fit the ranger in differnet aspects.
EELuminatus
Art Contributor

Post by EELuminatus »

If you don't like the "clean" and upright look of the new Ranger, which definitely fits better with our current unit style, why don't you just change some of his characteristics in the new sprite? - This would surely be easier than polishing the old one... make the new one ragged! :mrgreen:
mameluke

Post by mameluke »

One other suggestion: Since the Ranger is a level 3 unit he could also be quite a noble character.
If you look at most other level 3 units they are also quite noble.

It also makes kind of sense, since the Ranger is not just some servant that does the dirty jobs out there... he is THE Ranger, which could e.g. mean that he owns a lot of land/forest.
It's not very easy for me what a ranger actually is translated to german... but I think you still have the trapper, poacher and huntsman for the "dirty looking" characters!

He could also be something like the first ranger of the king or so...

A lot of reasons why he shouldn't look to dirty, imho
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

When I think ranger, I think Aragorn and with that I mean book 1 (no movies) Aragorn, described as having months worth of dirt and grime on him.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

AI wrote:When I think ranger, I think Aragorn and with that I mean book 1 (no movies) Aragorn, described as having months worth of dirt and grime on him.
Exactly how i think of him also rangers don't own land so they are most likely moving from camp to camp in the wilderness. It would make sense if he looked grimey as he probobly hasn't changed in ages. Smelly ranger :lol2: Anyway they are outlaws after all.
Divine Crusader

Post by Divine Crusader »

Well,i think red is too royal.I think black,brown and green over this unit make it forest like and more outlaw.
You will never escape from justice if you committed a sin that many won't forgive.
Hide all you want but you can't escape from me.
~Divine Crusader~