Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Re: Portrait sketches

Post by Girgistian »

thespaceinvader wrote:Looks fine. Getting the scaling texture right on inking will be an interesting challenge.
Pfft. Just draw them one by one. I think at least the large ones should be more like individual 3d... things, if you get what I mean, rather than a planted-on-skin texture. Like, you couldn't be too vague with the big scales.
For the dark gods!
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

very, very cool indeed! interesting design and expressive face - great! :D

i miss structure on his wings - they just seem to flap down from those big bones. i think some "finger"-bones would be appropriate. and his tail is strange. but those are only minor problems (his knees and shoulders are a bit undefined, too).

one think i would ask you to keep in mind for future sketches is the framing. we want the future portraits to be waist-up shots. if i cut this guy that way his bottom sticks out a bit disadvantageously and the right hand claw/sword-thingie is affected, too.

i really, really look forward to see the results on this new collaboration with thespaceinvader!
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

kitty wrote:very, very cool indeed! interesting design and expressive face - great! :D

i miss structure on his wings - they just seem to flap down from those big bones. i think some "finger"-bones would be appropriate. and his tail is strange. but those are only minor problems (his knees and shoulders are a bit undefined, too).

one think i would ask you to keep in mind for future sketches is the framing. we want the future portraits to be waist-up shots. if i cut this guy that way his bottom sticks out a bit disadvantageously and the right hand claw/sword-thingie is affected, too.

i really, really look forward to see the results on this new collaboration with thespaceinvader!
Yeeah, the wings could be better and I didn't give much thought to the tail - it was the last thing I drew for it, aside from the smallest details. As for the cropping, I imagine it would be approppriate to cut the picture from somewhere half-way up his thigh, and if it looks like he's out of balance, it can be tilted without too significant problems.
Again, thanks for the compliments. Here's a sneak peek at the clasher sketch
Attachments
DrakeClasher.png
DrakeClasher.png (68.85 KiB) Viewed 4389 times
For the dark gods!
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

yeah! when will we see the finished clasher sketch?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Great work so far, others more qualified than I have given you C&C, but just wanted to say I like where you are taking the drakes. Hopefully they will look even more superb with color.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The drakes do look good, nice job. And keep it up.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

How's this for a start? The scales probably will be painted rather than having the explicit lines, which are on a separate layer and intended for use as a guide.

I took some hints from the wonderful Ironshod's gallery on scaling patterns etc. She has some AWESOME dragons.
Attachments
DrakeFighter.png
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Hmm... don't colour it just yet, I'd like to point something out about the face. I'm happy to see you seemed to intrepret the chest correctly, I wasn't sure if I made my intentions with it clear enough. I'll post in a moment, I just need to draw a couple of elaboration images first.

EDIT: This is what I was originally planning for with the face - a flat snout with cow-like lips, lupine teeth and a relatively flat forehead. Your inking's pretty much good as it is, there are just a few details that are missing if you're going to go by the sketch.

The problems are generally with the lip and the snout: as I see it, the snout's completely pointed in your version, which - to my mind - seems a bit too birdish, and combined with the current "angry eyes", also 'evil'. The forehead's scales and his left eye are perspection-wise wrong, the eye is too high and the mid-section of the scales is a little too left.
Also, some of the armor (arms, legs) and the scales curving off of the body aren't very symmetrical at the moment. I'd also fix the elbow a bit, a little variety with the scales there wouldn't hurt - to be blunt, the scales going through the whole arm like that makes the whole limb look somewhat tubish.

Wing-anatomy is still a little off (the bone going between his right wing's wrist and elbow is bent, while the left one's isn't) but I think you'll manage this if you put some time to it. As I already mentioned, the chest seems to be pretty much in line with the sketch, which I'm glad for, and you made the neck-scales better than they were before. Here'sa reference if you're not sure what I mean with the chest's anatomy - I thought human-chests are a cliche with drakes/draconians/argonians/whatever-lizardmen by now.
Attachments
decapitation.png
Last edited by Girgistian on December 17th, 2008, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the dark gods!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

No fear, i'm not intending to do any colouring any time soon. The next thing is probably the skirmisher, but i might not have time for anythign tonight, and i really need to do other things tomorrow - gotta get the house clean and tidy before i go home for christmas.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

clasha sketch! Is waist crop good enough or should I draw it down to the thighs as well?
Attachments
DrakeClasher.png
For the dark gods!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I'd go a little further down, simply because it lends itself better to a square crop - otherwise this is going to end up very wide and flat.

Loving that spear design, though =D

I may have to hold off on these til after christmas at the very earliest. I've got work due in on 9 Jan, then an exam on 15 Jan. After that, i'm free for a fortnight or so.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Awesome clasher. Just want to note that in the new sprites neoriceisgood made for them, the clasher line all have their wings covered in armor. Backstory also says that clashers lack flight capability. Just letting you know to factor that into your design.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Armored the wings and added thighs. Next up: teh burner
Attachments
DrakeClasher2.png
For the dark gods!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Looking forward to working with this guy. Especially cos the wings aren't visible. Wings are difficult >.<
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

thespaceinvader wrote:Wings are difficult >.<
Then you're going to hate the burner >8D I might make to versions of him though, it's currently coming along as a front-shot portrait.
For the dark gods!