Corvvs' Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits: Merman Hunter

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Corvvs

Re: Gryphon Portrait?

Post by Corvvs »

Here we go again. The feathers on the front form a little ruff around the neck, and will cover the tops of the arms. Does that sound good?
Attachments
gryphon2.png
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

I like the way it looks (to me) that it is ready to jump up and fly, poised and ready.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

I put in some flats, and worked on the lines a bit. I hope to finish the lines tomorrow.
Attachments
gryphon2.png
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Gryphon Portrait: Lines and Flats

Post by thespaceinvader »

Firstly, where have its eyes gone?

Secondly, the back legs should have paws, not bird claws.

Thirdly, the front legs should have scales up to just below the first joint. I'm pretty sure your bird claws also have one too many toes.

That being said, this looks quite promising.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

I like it too but to me it looks like it is asleep.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

thespaceinvader wrote:Firstly, where have its eyes gone?
Away. They'll be back soon.
thespaceinvader wrote: Secondly, the back legs should have paws, not bird claws.
Thanks for that, I'll fix it.
thespaceinvader wrote: Thirdly, the front legs should have scales up to just below the first joint. I'm pretty sure your bird claws also have one too many toes.
Yeah, I just made all the legs the same. Shame on me.
thespaceinvader wrote: That being said, this looks quite promising.
Thank you.
Akkarin345 wrote:I like it too but to me it looks like it is asleep.
Must be the lack of eyes.

Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Fixed the anatomy, but the eyes back in. Colored the lines too.
Attachments
gryphon2.png

Akkarin345

Post by Akkarin345 »

The head looks really good now! I like it :D
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Uhm... isn't it too tiny? We will have a higher-resolution mechanism for rendering (transparent) portraits soon, so...
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

hey - every version looks nicer! i would like to see a close-up on the head, to see if he has enough expression for a portrait.

i know it is a fictional animal but i find his torso lacks anatomy, right now it is like a blob, he needs some musculature to get a real shape!

and another general hint is not to use single lines for the outlines. i assume you work with paths. all your lines lack line width variation and end too abruptly. you should use closed paths/forms. that will be a lot more work per line but is worth it!

i look forward to see progess!
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Akkarin345 wrote:The head looks really good now! I like it :D
Thanks. :)
Shadow Master wrote:Uhm... isn't it too tiny? We will have a higher-resolution mechanism for rendering (transparent) portraits soon, so...
Not sure quite what you mean. I just started with a size that seemed comfortable. I would be happy to make it larger, if that is what you are asking.
kitty wrote:hey - every version looks nicer! i would like to see a close-up on the head, to see if he has enough expression for a portrait.

i know it is a fictional animal but i find his torso lacks anatomy, right now it is like a blob, he needs some musculature to get a real shape!

and another general hint is not to use single lines for the outlines. i assume you work with paths. all your lines lack line width variation and end too abruptly. you should use closed paths/forms. that will be a lot more work per line but is worth it!

i look forward to see progess!
Thanks a bunch. I think I'll model the chest after a lion (no surprise there) with especially large pectorals, like a bird. About paths: yes, I do. I'll try that with the shapes. Btw, your tutorial's been invaluable. :)

Mica

Post by Mica »

A Gryphon is a rather large animal, it should be HUGE (like, covering pretty much the whole thing...)

Most of the bird should not totally fit in the portrait IMO, gryphon's are one of the largest units in the game.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

I have worked on the lines a bit, and am wondering if I'm going in the right direction. The lightsources I chose were behind the gryphon on the right, and in front on the left.

About size, etc.: I'll make the portrait, and then we can crop it if necessary. However, I think a zoomed out view might be neat, with a little dwarf on the back (when appropriate).
Attachments
gryphon.png

Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

There's just something about that pose that bothers me. I would think that a side view with his head turned would be more fitting. However, it would also show more detail.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Gordon CSA

Re: Gryphon Portrait: Lines Redux

Post by Gordon CSA »

I'll agree the pose is a little off.
As I see it the left (well, it's right) upper arm should be angling away from the body a bit, right now it seems to be angling towards the body and other arm.
Other than that, good job. And I really like the line work on the latest.
Circle Stone Aviator
Formerly Dark Helmet