Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Here are the link provide by Cedric to show me what he got so far:
http://cedricduval.free.fr/tmp/mountains_before.jpeg
http://cedricduval.free.fr/tmp/mountains_after.jpeg

Note that this image doesn't use the whole set of mountain images.
Maybe the mountains could still be included in the version 0.8.0 if someone manage to write a good system to choose the moutains images to be displayed (just my personal hope). I think that Cedric's result is already better than having the old set on mountains picture that clash with the rest.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Here is a screenshot I took to show better the mounatin transitions vs different terrains...but there is only one type of mountains tile since it was done on the version 0.7.11.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

They look great, and blend well with the hills... a little too well. I think they need their brown/grey content increased and their green content toned down.

Additionally, in the current screenshots we don't seem to be getting enough variety. Is there any chance for a few more "generic mountain" (not "mountain range") images?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
TuxVader

Post by TuxVader »

These are nice! :D
They fit in with the new stuff 270% better than the old mountains did. 8)
Dark penguin of the sith.
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Sangel wrote:They look great, and blend well with the hills... a little too well. I think they need their brown/grey content increased and their green content toned down.
They look good, but I have to agree with Sangel here: At a glance it's hard to tell mountains and hills apart.

Sangel's suggestions are all good and I think a little snow-capping (don't go overboard, though) could help them look more distinctive,
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

There's a white stripe on the east side :< fix that.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Neoriceisgood wrote:There's a white stripe on the east side :< fix that.
Yes, you are right. I missed a few pixel apparently. I will fix it.
Concerning the other remark:
-The whole set of images weren't used for the examples. The challenge right now is to get a system to use the whole set to get nice mountains chains. I might do a few more mountain pictures later (or modify the exixting one), after the first batch is tested. I will also do at least one volcano.
- I'm modifying the hills and making a few more. basically I change the green to look closer to the one from plain and make the top of "high hills" less rocky, so less similar to the mountains.
I might add a few patch of snow here and there but I want to keep the really snowy version for the hight mountain (mountain-peak) and the winter version of the mountains.
I'm going also to redo some of the mountain transition, at least for transition with plain (sw and se version). Right now we have little mountains aligned with each other and it still look somewhat unatural. I will try to make some with a few mid-size mountains and a suggestion of ripple across the plain.
Meanwhile the present transition will do the job.
methinks

Post by methinks »

I'm impressed. Some color tuning would help with little contrast between hills and mountains. Good job! Nice to see lots of progress on BfW
-Adam