Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Old mage-die animations in 1.3.11?

Post by irrevenant »

My install of Wesnoth seems to have the old Mage-die animations (both male and female). Is this intentional? Or is something just wrong with mine?

Presumably revamped graphics for a unit aren't committed until all the animations are up to speed?
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

I thought Rev. V! Did a dying animation for the female red mage?
I don't know about any of the other mages. My dev version has the outdated animations too, althuogh my dev version is rather old, since I haven't updated it for some time...
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I've just checked SVN for 1.3.12 at gna! and it looks like the old graphics are in there for the mage and red mage.

The White Mage death animation seems up to date, while the Great Mage, Arch Mage, Silver Mage and Mage of Light have no death animations at all.

It looks like someone just forgot to delete the old death anims for the mage and red mage. Without them a fade effect will be applied to the unit when it dies.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The old ones are there, but i'm pretty sure they're not used. Could be wrong, though.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

thespaceinvader wrote:The old ones are there, but i'm pretty sure they're not used. Could be wrong, though.
<checks> Yup, you're right. The death animation is commented out. No biggie then. Presumably the art's been left there as reference for when they do the new die anims...
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

irrevenant wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:The old ones are there, but i'm pretty sure they're not used. Could be wrong, though.
<checks> Yup, you're right. The death animation is commented out. No biggie then. Presumably the art's been left there as reference for when they do the new die anims...
Yes.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

It would be tidier to take them out of the download - Devs can get them from the old SVN branch after all - but it's not a major problem.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Unfortunately, most of the current artists and future artists that would care about getting those as reference don't know/don't have a way to get files from SVN (spec. Windows and MacOS X users; subversion is usually shipped with most major Linux distros).

And most of them aren't computer wizards like the non-artists here.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

SVN is available through your web browser at Gna!. That's how I checked it in the first place. So anyone who can see the forums can see SVN.

But you're right about the accessibility of the whole thing - artists as a group probably aren't going to intuit my above paragraph out of the blue. :)

Hey, presumably those graphics aren't the only art 'raw materials' that we want to keep available for artists. Maybe we should collect them all in a central location somewhere?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

AFAIK we have tried to keep all "raw" material at <svn root>/branches/resources, including sound material, graphics, and whatnot. However, the only real user of that branch at the moment is Kestenvarn, with his nice cartography stuff.

I have suggested already that we, for example, keep portraits in .PNG and other loss-less source formats in there and ship only JPEG portraits with Wesnoth releases (and trunk), as portraits usually don't need transparency, are usually not scaled, and in their PNG form are wasting quite a few KBs (more than 500 KB for a portrait is much IMHO):

Again, nobody seems to find a real need of that space that justifies its maintenance and the job of importing/exporting to trunk.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I would rather see portraits remain non-lossy. JPGs can get pretty ugly (and the less ugly they are, the less benefit to using them).

It's good that there's a central SVN location for resources, but as we just discussed SVN is not the most intuitive setup for many artists. I was thinking more on the wiki or something.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

irrevenant wrote:I would rather see portraits remain non-lossy. JPGs can get pretty ugly (and the less ugly they are, the less benefit to using them).
JPEG can easily shrink the size by some factor without loosing anything visually. If people try out how far one can go for each image and we keep the original PNG in SVN everyone wins.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I think it would be a step in the wrong direction to stop shipping the modifiable art with Wesnoth. JPGs are not the source. If someone dlds Wesnoth and wants to tweak the art, it's a bad idea to add additional hurdles to the process. (Especially since the casual artist won't even know that there is a way past them).
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

To the best of my knowledge, .JPG is best for photographs or other images that use a wide range of colors, and that cell-shaded cartoon images which use few colors, like most of Wesnoth's portraits are, are one of the worst kinds of image to try to save as a .JPG. Correct me if I'm wrong.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

AFAIK that's correct. .png is a better format all round, apart possibly from file sizes and of course, support, but that's nto an issue here...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.