Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Castle Tutorial? | Water-Chasm Transitions

Post by Kestenvarn »

I wanted to try my hand out with something simple but useful before moving on to more ambitious things, so decided to attempt a fix on the water - chasm transition. Currently water just sort of sits there on the edge of a cliff, and it would look better to flow over the side similar to the lava ones.

The Castle Tutorial seems to be missing information on exactly how to work with the templates, though. It mentions an exploder tool, but gives no indication of where to pick up such a thing:
That is why a helper tool was developed, to help in the process. The helper tool we are talking about is called the Castle Exploder. We will describe how to used it to build a complete castle.
Where can I find this? The tutorial is pretty confusing on its own, but this only adds to the difficulty.

:oops:
Last edited by Kestenvarn on October 3rd, 2007, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

In my build from the svn repositories, an exploder tool was compiled without me doing anything special during the configure process.

If you don't find it on a prepackaged Windows or Mac OS version you probably need to contact your packager.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

how mine for fish??

Post by Kestenvarn »

There's a folder named exploder and castle-cutter underneath data\tools\, but I'm not seeing any sort of program in there that would split the graphics. Looks just like data files.

:?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: how mine for fish??

Post by zookeeper »

Kestenvarn wrote:There's a folder named exploder and castle-cutter underneath data\tools\, but I'm not seeing any sort of program in there that would split the graphics. Looks just like data files.

:?
There are some .sh scripts in castle-cutter/, but unless you're on a *nix I guess you'll probably want to forget about trying to use them.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Ah, that's too bad.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Kestenvarn wrote:Ah, that's too bad.
I can probably run them for you, or give you images suitable for being drawn-over.

Gimme some 10 hours and I'll upload some transition images you can edit (hopefully).
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

jetryl: you might want to add these to the wiki for other non-unix users...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Sounds good, thanks.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Jetryl wrote:
Kestenvarn wrote:Ah, that's too bad.
I can probably run them for you, or give you images suitable for being drawn-over.

Gimme some 10 hours and I'll upload some transition images you can edit (hopefully).
:| After thinking about it for a while, probably the easiest and best way to go about it would be to give you a good image to draw-over. Ironically, this probably isn't anything you couldn't do yourself, with the map editor.

Take the following image, and draw over it till it looks right. This will provide us with many of the needed transitions.
Attachments
water-chasm.png
water-chasm.png (100.81 KiB) Viewed 9067 times
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Presumably that's most useful if it's done on a separate layer, yes?

[EDIT] Probably stating the obvious; I just want to make sure everyone's on the same page.

[EDIT2] Cool, thanks. Live and learn...
Last edited by irrevenant on September 30th, 2007, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

irrevenant wrote:Presumably that's most useful if it's done on a separate layer, yes?

[EDIT] Probably stating the obvious; I just want to make sure everyone's on the same page.
Actually, no, most of what makes up the visual appearance of the chasms is their transitions, and these images would replace those transitions entirely, rather then being overlaid on them. So really, I'd just be grabbing sections of the final, flattened image of this, and just clipping them out.

Once Kestenvarn gets finished with this, either I or "some other terrain developer" will figure out which additional transitions need to be made.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Jetryl wrote:<attached water-chasm.png>
My heart stopped for a second. I thought it was the start of a new chasm terrain, like the lava chasm, but with water, as an underground river or something.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

How's this for starters? Feel the one on the right is still iffy...

Someone also suggested in chat to make variations.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The colour of the trailing bits should be lighter, i think. Maybe a bit transparent, too, to show the rock beneath. Water gets less blue and more see-through the thinner/shallower it is, and those are barely thick at all.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Yeah you're right. I did a feather selection around the falls then did ctrl-u and sat-40 lit+40 before gradually erasing the lower parts.