Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Orc X-box/ slurbow portrait!

Post by Thrawn »

Here I go again. This time I'm only working with the sketch until it is perfect...that way I don't do things like try to majorly edit a 5 layer work and ef everything up.

Anywho, all critiques and comments welcome!!!
Attachments
Orc-Slurbow.png
Orc-Slurbow.png (154.32 KiB) Viewed 4760 times
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The top half looks good, but the way he is holding the crossbow in his hand, uh... makes no sense? It seems to be attached to his hand using sticky-tape. :? Do you see what I mean? His hands also appear too big.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

turin wrote:The top half looks good, but the way he is holding the crossbow in his hand, uh... makes no sense? It seems to be attached to his hand using sticky-tape. :? Do you see what I mean? His hands also appear too big.
Its supposed to be resting in the palm of his hand...I think I see what I did wrong. And the huge hands was a choice, but if more people think its bad (not how they look right now, but the size) I'll shrink them.

Thanks
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

Drake Blademaster

Post by Drake Blademaster »

I'm no artist, but his leg position looks. . .off. Is he sitting cross legged? Is he doing something else? That just struck me as odd. but otherwise, pretty good. Try talking to some of the art contributers. They'll probably help. Maybe he should stand. :?:
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Drake Blademaster wrote:I'm no artist, but his leg position looks. . .off. Is he sitting cross legged? Is he doing something else? That just struck me as odd. but otherwise, pretty good. Try talking to some of the art contributers. They'll probably help. Maybe he should stand. :?:
:?

what legs, I cut the drawing off before I get to them...

Look at the tag under my name...I am an art contributer...

:?

Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Thrawn:

Regarding hand size, the current orc portraits by Pickslide feature huge hands. As they are mainline, that could be taken to mean big hands are acceptable. The hands on Thrawn's crossbowman may be a little large even by Pickslide's standards, but I'm not at all sure on that.
(Personally, as a matter of preference, I would say they are all oversized - Thrawn's and Pickslides.)

Can't see anything wrong with the pose. Reminds me of a slouchy 'present arms' posture.

Minor niggle on the cape. It probably shouldn't billow outwards like that. In the absence of wind or movement it would hang more-or-less straight down.

The eye furthest from the viewer is very small. (Or the closer eye is very big, take your pick.)

Out of curiosity, what are those things on his left (his left) hand at the very bottom of the picture?

Drake Blademaster:

Ummm...eh? What legs are you refering to? I see no legs.
Drake Blademaster

Post by Drake Blademaster »

Oh, right. Disregard that post. There was a smudge on my glasses. BTW, when I posted that, it didn't say art contributer. I thought it was weird, but, oh well.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Zhukov wrote:Thrawn:

Regarding hand size, the current orc portraits by Pickslide feature huge hands. As they are mainline, that could be taken to mean big hands are acceptable. The hands on Thrawn's crossbowman may be a little large even by Pickslide's standards, but I'm not at all sure on that.
(Personally, as a matter of preference, I would say they are all oversized - Thrawn's and Pickslides.)

Can't see anything wrong with the pose. Reminds me of a slouchy 'present arms' posture.

Minor niggle on the cape. It probably shouldn't billow outwards like that. In the absence of wind or movement it would hang more-or-less straight down.

The eye furthest from the viewer is very small. (Or the closer eye is very big, take your pick.)

Out of curiosity, what are those things on his left (his left) hand at the very bottom of the picture?
Nice to see you around!
1. Turin isn't saying the pose is wrong, its that the x-bow isn't actually resting in his hand...

2. yeah, I drew the cape imagining with a hunched back, but then didn't give him one...nice point.

3. The eyes may be a tad, of, but I think I foreshortened them correctly...I just don't have the same thing for the mouth. The head is at an angle. They may need to be adjusted slightly though

4. They are brass knuckly things on his gauntlet...I think another orc portrait has one, but not sure (I don't actually reference his things now, I've looked at them too much :) )

Changeling

Post by Changeling »

His right hand is too close to his body. If anyone held an crossbow like that, it'd fall. That hand is also too bent in. It should show more hand towards the knuckles.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I would focus on the part above the belt, and perhaps move the near arm across to hold the x-bow. Really the head (i.e. expression) and the weapon are the points of interest here. Including so much torso, minimizes the space available for what's important there.

Zhukov wrote:Minor niggle on the cape. It probably shouldn't billow outwards like that. In the absence of wind or movement it would hang more-or-less straight down.
Rule of Illustration # 127:

Whenever a breeze could move something into a more interesting or dynamic position, that breeze must be assumed to exist.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

So, yeah - the forum hiccup removed my previous response, here's a rewrite.

This pic has a lot of promise; I think you can match the existing orc portraits with a little effort. There are a few things that are "off" about it, and I'll feed my descriptions of them to you in bite-sized chunks. If they really give you trouble, I can do a traceover; but I really want you to have a fair shot at solving it on your own, since there's prime learning to be had.

The first is the foreshortening of the "bow" on the crossbow; not the stock, but the big bendy metal/wood/whatever thing that actually bends back when it's cocked, and provides all the power. Basically, it's being drawn from a different angle as the body is.

Right now, you can see the entire bottom face of it, the entire side face of it, and none of the top face of it (or perhaps, all of the top, and all of the side, depending on how things are interpreted). What should be the case, is that the top should be what's mostly visible, though a small bit towards the shoulder would be obscured. Likewise, the bottom should possibly have a sliver visible near the shoulder (if it's tilted up, as it is). Really, the biggest problem is how the two "arc lines" showing the edges of the top(?) don't meet at the center; if that top part were horizontal, they would.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Well done, but where's his XBox controller?
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

My comment was also nuked, so here it is again: He's holding his arms very close to the body, giving sort of anxious impression. Also, because the fingers of the hand holding the bow point forward instead of toward the viewer, it makes it look like the wrist grows out of his hip.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.