Portraits for Saurians?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Such an image could very well be used as a story screen where the text talks about an attack by saurians for example...
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

torangan wrote:Such an image could very well be used as a story screen where the text talks about an attack by saurians for example...
Pretty much useless IMO, since it's better to have no story images than just have one or two. Of course the same applies to portraits too.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

zookeeper wrote:Pretty much useless IMO, since it's better to have no story images than just have one or two. Of course the same applies to portraits too.
You know, a complete set is done by starting somewhere. Who'd have believed that TC would reach its current state in time for 1.2? Probably nobody because it was a very huge pile of work as well. Portraits and story images are even more work but that's no problem. If you don't like the incomplete state you can always build a release without the unfinished stuff that appears much more consistent and complete.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Sabata

Post by Sabata »

Sherbniz wrote:I still need to practice my dragons and dinos >.<
I had a look into your thread though, but it doesn't reveal much about what you exactly gonna need >.>
Well i would like portraits for every unit but this will come after, for now a portrait of my heros- very important .
I will be posting the beginning of my campaing in some days you may download it and see if you want to help me whit someting.

About attacking pose portraits
It is cool to have expresions, i would definitly use them in campaings so what i say is dont abandone it. :wink:
Sherbniz

Post by Sherbniz »

irrevenant wrote: Please don't be discouraged - you have real skill at this.
Thank you! ^-^
I think I got a slight idea of how to do it.
It's hard to do that imagination to drawing conversion though... >.<
Sangel wrote: Seconded. Your line-work in particular is most impressive!
Thankies
I'll might start the next one bigger, so I can add more details o.o
Gus wrote:And if this cannot be used as portraits, i'm sure it can be used elsewhere. That's very well done, keep on going =)
Yeah, probably. :3
torangan wrote:Such an image could very well be used as a story screen where the text talks about an attack by saurians for example...
Yeah xD
"Once upon a time, the Saurians turned up and totally killed everyone.

The End."
zookeeper wrote: Pretty much useless IMO, since it's better to have no story images than just have one or two. Of course the same applies to portraits too.
The more story images the better... it's even better when you have so many story images... that you get cutscenes! :D
torangan wrote: You know, a complete set is done by starting somewhere. Who'd have believed that TC would reach its current state in time for 1.2? Probably nobody because it was a very huge pile of work as well. Portraits and story images are even more work but that's no problem. If you don't like the incomplete state you can always build a release without the unfinished stuff that appears much more consistent and complete.
Well my problem is, I still have loads of school stuff to do >.<
Sabata wrote: Well i would like portraits for every unit but this will come after, for now a portrait of my heros- very important .
I will be posting the beginning of my campaing in some days you may download it and see if you want to help me whit someting.
I'll have a look ^_^
Sabata wrote: About attacking pose portraits
It is cool to have expresions, i would definitly use them in campaings so what i say is dont abandone it. :wink:
I'll keep it on hold at least ;D
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sherbniz wrote:The more story images the better...
Wrong (as in "not necessarily in this case", not as in "more is always wrong"). Sometimes less is more, among other reasons.

But let's not derail this thread with this debate in any case.
Shadowhall

Post by Shadowhall »

I think they are both awesome! Wesnoth is incredibly lucky to have the interest and the assistance of so many talented people. I actually like these better than most mainline portraits, but they aren't in the cell-shaded style the developer's wanted for consistency. I can definately understand why that is, but it doesn't take anything away from your work.

I think I spend more time on the forums these days staring at people's art than actually playing the game.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

zookeeper wrote:
Pretty much useless IMO, since it's better to have no story images than just have one or two. Of course the same applies to portraits too.
:? What Torangan said - how do you anticipate having a sufficient number of story images without starting at one or two?
Sherbniz wrote:Well my problem is, I still have loads of school stuff to do >.<
I don't think anyone was asking you to do all the artwork for Wesnoth. :)
Shadowhall wrote:I think they are both awesome! Wesnoth is incredibly lucky to have the interest and the assistance of so many talented people. I actually like these better than most mainline portraits, but they aren't in the cell-shaded style the developer's wanted for consistency.
I believe that policy fell by the wayside (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). AFAIK, the primary determinant now is that they be good (though it's preferable if all the portraits for a given race are in a similar style).
Shadowhall wrote:I think I spend more time on the forums these days staring at people's art than actually playing the game.
Ditto.
Krispos

Post by Krispos »

Ok, so those are pretty much amazing. Yeps. But yeah... having tea with an Ambusher that's about to stab me from his portrait is a bit funky ;)
John 3:16 (NIV)
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Professionals built the Titanic
Amateurs built the Ark