New Asheviere Sprite

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It has wide shoulders and narrow hips - it looks more male than female. :?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

the original new Ashenverde was accused in being too stripper, so i made my first try as un-stripper as an Evil Queen can be, but when people want hips, people get hips:
Kaldred

Post by Kaldred »

Very well done Syntax_Error. This Version of Ashenverde is better than my "noob" try. And i find the style more suitably than the Sprite from Jetryl. But she still needs some improvments. These bigger hips are a little to big on her right side.

I take your works on the feets and the staff to improve my Version. But a think i should better go back to WML only. *smile*
Attachments
Asheviere4.png
Asheviere4.png (2.95 KiB) Viewed 4855 times
Shadowhall

Post by Shadowhall »

I'm a fan of Sabata's modifications, when I picture the character in my head that is the closest rendition of them all.

Now if only Li'Sar looked half as good as her mother does now. I always thought she looked too... Barbie-princess-warrior-queen.
ijuric

Post by ijuric »

I was playing with hair as current doesn't look so curly to me. I know hair is not dress, but if we can get curly hair, I thought why not. In the process I also made few other hair styles. Left pict is original, than 2 versions of curly hair, than one not curly and last two are supposed to be hair styles which have purpouse to make her look old.
Attachments
hair.png
hair.png (5.71 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:D WOW, thanks guys!

I wasn't expecting anyone to actually try working on this.

What you've provided for me is:
1] A solution to the dress being too open/wonder-womany on the front.
2] A good "purple pallette match" to Pickslide's portrait.
This should be trivial for me to port back in.

I was suprised at the response when I actually asked for something, so I'll also post random jobs for "n00b" spriters to take on, out in this forum. If someone like syntax_error wants to help out the core game, they can take those on - by working on something for the core game, you have a really good chance of getting said work in the game.

Not only that, but guys like me will go out of our way to help you out with it - it's like free lessons.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The biggest problem I've seen with the Asheviere (portrait, story art and sprite) is the anachronism of the style. Here are some examples (1,2,3,4,5) of real pre-industrial queens, and compared to them, Asheviere looks rather like some post-industrial woman dressed up as "evil witch-queen" for Halloween. In pre-industrial societies, where everything was made by hand, making those kinds of dresses required insane amount of work, and that was the whole idea of wearing them, to show off one's status by demonstrating how much human labour one had at one's disposal. By that kind of standards, what Asheviere wears looks like a rag.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

he's got a point. Ahevier's dress should be poofy with large shoulder decorations. Maybe even put some metal and jewels on it. Her crown could also be more flamboyant.
Sabata

Post by Sabata »

Ah!! comon... is she a queen or a modern ages woman???
Mine is better!!!!! :P
Attachments
asheviere royal.png
asheviere royal.png (6.51 KiB) Viewed 4724 times
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

its still modern, not pre-industrial people who play it.

for modern people, boofy dress is funny.

Evil Queen is not supposed to be a funny cloth-ball.

its fantasy, if we would try to be historically exact in everything concerning loyalists, then there should be no reigning queens at all, because Wesnoth is clearly in pre-gunpowder era. and such boofy big shoulders came only quite recently. see: example1, example2

she is also supposed to be a wizard, could you actually imagine a clothball casting spells? it would look dumb. pixelslideish version of Asheviere is totally okay and actually looks like a powerful spellcaster.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

It's not really historical accuracy I'm after, after all, Wesnoth is not set in any particular historical era, but logical consistency in ways in which the social and economic contexts influence the parameters of aesthetics and fashion.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Wesnoth is 99% war&magic, and 1% social stuff and economy. theres really no need to go extra deep with finding reasons for everything, even HttT itself has a rather naive storyline, no social/economic reasons at all. its all a fairy tale, in fairy tales economy&social layers arent really that relevant. im sick of economy in real life already, fantasy is so popular because of the non-existence of such real-life matters. im glad wesnoth villains are not tax-cheaters. k, im going too OT now. ill stop.

btw Sabata, imo my second Ashiviere was still better than your remake of it (:P).
EELuminatus
Art Contributor

Post by EELuminatus »

The last one, by Sabata, is best in my opinion.
- Even though she's heavily based on the one by Syntax-Error, Sabata gave her a final touch and made her look like a royal, evil and somewhat sexy spellcastress. 8) .

(ON the other hand: isn't she the mother of...? - Maybe she shouldn't look a little older... ah, nevermind.)
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

umm..

clearly Sabata's staff looks like a candy. that's the major flaw Sabata's edit has.

EDIT: added a pic, where the 2 below-given pics are combined. also a few aesthetic fixes.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Here's a new version, merging in a number of changes that others have (often visually) suggested.

I've committed this.

Thanks for the input, BTW.
Attachments
human-queen.png
human-queen.png (1.31 KiB) Viewed 4923 times