Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Re: Standing and idle animations?

Post by Jetrel »

Picka79 wrote:Hello! :)
I'm creating a standing anim for Draug.
When he looks at north, we will see his cloak. On the attack frames, we can see a perfect cloak, without any tear or hole. But to my mind, an undead should be a little decomposed! And on the portrait, there isn't any cloak.

What must I do? Draw a perfect cape as on the other frames? Delete this cape from my frames from the old frame? Or create a torn cloak on my frames and change the old frames?
"create a torn cloak on my frames and change the old frames". I think the presence of a cape of some form is a very important distinction from the Revenant. Given a choice between a clean one and a tattered one, I lean towards tattered.

Regarding the portrait; It's common for portraits to slightly (even significantly) mismatch the units they depict, and that's just something that's accepted; portraits and sprites are operating in different mediums, and shouldn't feel a need to compromise themselves to match something else. Neither one is treated as "canon" that needs to be adhered to.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Coffee
Inactive Developer

Post by Coffee »

Just on the tentacle of the deep animation by homunculus and the northern animations -- I've created a slightly rotated counter-clockwise 2 north frames for attack to make the swing more natural when attacking in these directions. I've included a video and the files below.

The reason why I say it is unfinished is because the rotated frames for the northern animations (only 2 of them below) might need going over by an artist, assuming this works aesthetically:
deep-tentacle-melee-3n.png
deep-tentacle-melee-3n.png (4.87 KiB) Viewed 9023 times
deep-tentacle-melee-4n.png
deep-tentacle-melee-4n.png (5.5 KiB) Viewed 9023 times
Attachments
tentacle_files_north_animation_unfinished.zip
(37.62 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
tentacle_new_north_animation.ogg.zip
(242.8 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
Picka79

Post by Picka79 »

Hello :)
I draw a "se" bob for Draug :
draug-bob.gif
draug-bob.gif (14.09 KiB) Viewed 8747 times
To have a torn cape, I change a little bit the old frames. They are all here :
Draug.zip
(26.17 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
Then I tried to create the "ne" frame, but my drawing is not satisfactory. I should put the shield in the other hand, isn't-it?
The following problem is that I'm not capable of animate the cape correctly. :cry:
draug-ne-bob1.png
draug-ne-bob1.png (1.35 KiB) Viewed 8747 times
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

With the support of GbDorn I cloned the dwarvish guardsman's bob animation to the stalwart. There might be some work needed on the shadow cast by his shield arm, though.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Looks pretty good in my opinion.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Likewise - it's got my approval to go in the game.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I've committed the Stalawart bob to master. Thanks :)
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

vultraz wrote:I've committed the Stalawart bob to master.
Please excuse a stupid question: is he doing that sometimes or all the time?

In case of the latter, I'd go with doofus-01:
doofus-01 wrote:I just want to say that these heaving animations are insane. ...

I hope we can come up with a better default animation than 'Battle for Asthma".
I have a cunning plan.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

I cloned the dwarvish guardsman's bob to the sentinel. In the process of doing so, I added a darkbrown pixel above the sentinel's right hand (spear hand) to the base sprite, because I think somebody missed that one (stalwart / guardsman got this pixel). I hope that is okay.

Additionally, I worked on the dwarvish berserker as the berserker's animations are misplaced: there are several pixel wide jumps between bob-laugh, attack-bob, basesprite-bob and bob-idle. I fixed these; so now the bearded angry man does not magically and spontaneously jump a few pixels to savor his dwarvish brewage or to laugh at the poor adept.

Moreover, I updated the shadows of all sprites of the assassin, outlaw and ranger to match the standards (RGB: 22,0,52, Opacity: 60%).
Last edited by Kwandulin on April 4th, 2015, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

doofus-01 wrote:I just want to say that these heaving animations are insane. ...

I hope we can come up with a better default animation than 'Battle for Asthma".
Why never pulls a beer canister to drink(forgot that berserker does that, sorry), scratches his back with the shaft of his axe, pats his wolf, checks his weapons glancing, devours one meal awhole, falls asleep for short etc. but always this asthma ?
Rogue does something with an bag of gold, old elf scout had one with feeding apple to mount(or so it seemt), skeleton occasionaly laughs, but thats pretty much it, everybody else in mainline but inspecially dwarves are eternally locked in an contest of heavily breathing.

Edit: Sorry, ive mixed up the two.
Last edited by Eagle_11 on April 4th, 2015, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

@Kwandulin: Keep up the good work!

@ nuorc & Eagle_11: You do know you can turn off the standing animations if you don't like them, don't you?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

You're mixing up idle animations and standing animations. Standing animations are a unit's "stance", and are continuously played. The animations you described are idle animations, little visual candy that play at random times. Not all units have both or either of these animations, though.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

vultraz wrote:Standing animations are a unit's "stance", and are continuously played. The animations you described are idle animations, little visual candy that play at random times.
Thank you, that was the clarification I needed.
beetlenaut wrote:You do know you can turn off the standing animations if you don't like them, don't you?
Yeah, heard of it. I think a little standing animation isn't bad; still would like it to not look silly in default. ¯\(°_o)/¯
Spoiler:
I have a cunning plan.
SFault

Post by SFault »

Maybe bit off-topic, but what if there also were some scenario victory & defeat animations? The dwarvish fighter already has the hopping animation which for good reason was removed as an idle animation. Such thing could work when the player wins the scenario. Likewise there could be some animation where the unit holds head down and drops the weapon or something like that to present defeat. This would be just a bit more of eye-candy and definitely not on high priority. I think this could be done with the current WML. Just launch the animation when [endlevel] is reached in the process.

By default for scenario victory animation possible leadership or victory/kill animation could be played.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

This is certainly possible, but adding yet more categories of animations to fill out when we don't have enough animators working on the ones we have already is not a huge priority. If someone made them, they would probably be included, but if not, we're not asking for them, would be my outlook. Standing animations, idle animations, and north-facing animations generally are much higher priority.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.