Standing and idle animations?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Good, let's keep this moving feast going. :) If you guys committing the animations need any help with the timing and correct sequencing of the frames please let me know. The .gifs should be a good reference but some of them are a little tricky, like the modified and finished version of the orcish archer.

Oh, animated terrain would be nice and I'm pretty sure it can be done right (that is, in a "not annoying" way). But I won't go into it for now and we should have none of that on this thread: in order to make progress we have to focus, Daniel-san :roll:

So here you go, the .zip with the .pngs for the longbowman and orc archer, and the 'new kid in town', which I don't think needs much explanation or justification... if there's a single unit in Wesnoth that would perform such an action, the halberdier would be it.

By the way, the small particles of dirt are partially transparent and slowly vanish as they reach the ground (effect sadly lost in .gif), so they should look just fine on any terrain.
Attachments
orc-archer-&-longbowman-idling.zip
(24.47 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
orc-archer-idle-animation-2.gif
orc-archer-idle-animation-2.gif (6 KiB) Viewed 5170 times
halberdier-idle-animation-1.gif
halberdier-idle-animation-1.gif (9.65 KiB) Viewed 5171 times
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Redeth wrote:Good, let's keep this moving feast going. :) If you guys committing the animations need any help with the timing and correct sequencing of the frames please let me know. The .gifs should be a good reference but some of them are a little tricky, like the modified and finished version of the orcish archer.
It would be very useful to post this for any animations where:
• The frames are not in a simple linear sequence
• The frames have different durations

Using a form of shorthand would of course be good, eg:
[sequence] (normally 100ms/frame)
[loop-twice]
5 -50ms
6 -120ms
[/loop-twice]
[/sequence]
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Maybe the Halbardier animation should be modified so that if he's on shallow water, the particles are blue. That's my only problem with him.
P.S: i just remembered I started a Drake animation. I gotta finish that...
hey.
kbaskins
Art Developer

Post by kbaskins »

Redeth wrote:Good, let's keep this moving feast going. :) If you guys committing the animations need any help with the timing and correct sequencing of the frames please let me know. The .gifs should be a good reference but some of them are a little tricky, like the modified and finished version of the orcish archer.
Please and thank you! This is the most difficult part of the whole process for me. I don't have a finely-tuned eye to see the small variations in timing, so I've just assumed a default of 100 ms per frame on the animations I've committed (except the peasant, which you were very specific about). I have been able to puzzle out the sequencing by grabbing the gifs and opening them in Preview on my Mac, which breaks down the animation into individual frames. Then I just compare them to the pngs and figure out the sequence, but this is time-consuming and cumbersome. Maybe I'll eventually get proficient at deconstructing animations, but right now I suck at it (which is why I'm the commit idiot and not an artist.:D)
Jetryl wrote:It would be very useful to post this for any animations where:

Using a form of shorthand would of course be good, eg:
[sequence] (normally 100ms/frame)
[loop-twice]
5 -50ms
6 -120ms
[/loop-twice]
[/sequence]
Perfect!

Post the information here, or put it in a text file and include it in the zipped file, it doesn't much matter to me. Just getting the information would be so incredibly helpful I don't care how it gets delivered. Others might have a preference, though, so I'll be content with whatever everyone else wants.

BTW, I just want to say how unbelievably awesome I think these animations are. I'm just gobsmacked every time I see a new animation from you guys. There are times when I actually laugh in delight at the antics of these units.

--

Karen
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Image Okay, that is just way too good :D.

The way he 'stretches' upwards is especiialy well done.
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

That is, roughly, 90% of them :(
kbaskins wrote:Please and thank you! This is the most difficult part of the whole process for me. I don't have a finely-tuned eye to see the small variations in timing, so I've just assumed a default of 100 ms per frame on the animations I've committed (except the peasant, which you were very specific about).
Oh no :o Stupid me, this is bad... Ok, no need to panic... it took me a while but I'm posting this simple .txt with all the right sequences for all the animations (except the swordsman since it's zookeeper's creation and he'd have known how to do it properly). I used Jetryl's template.

These represent the exact way the final .gifs look, but feel free to play around if you think you can improve them in any way.

From now on I'll include an individual .txt along with the .zip for each new animation.
kbaskins wrote:I have been able to puzzle out the sequencing by grabbing the gifs and opening them in Preview on my Mac, which breaks down the animation into individual frames. Then I just compare them to the pngs and figure out the sequence, but this is time-consuming and cumbersome. Maybe I'll eventually get proficient at deconstructing animations, but right now I suck at it (which is why I'm the commit idiot and not an artist.:D)
I'm sorry for causing you such trouble, I should have thought of this a long time ago.. :(
kbaskins wrote:BTW, I just want to say how unbelievably awesome I think these animations are. I'm just gobsmacked every time I see a new animation from you guys. There are times when I actually laugh in delight at the antics of these units.
Thanks, and do not hesitate to post new ideas for more idling animations.

So... the aforementioned .txt, a new one (sergeant animation), and the .zip with the .pngs for the halberdier and sergeant (their sequencing is included in the .txt).

15 animations done and finished, not so bad eh? :)
Attachments
sequences.txt
(2.06 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
halberdier-&-sergeant-idling.zip
(61.06 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
sergeant-idle-animation-1.gif
sergeant-idle-animation-1.gif (9.8 KiB) Viewed 5028 times
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
kbaskins
Art Developer

Post by kbaskins »

Redeth wrote:
That is, roughly, 90% of them :(
Oops. :D
Redeth wrote:
kbaskins wrote:Please and thank you! This is the most difficult part of the whole process for me. I don't have a finely-tuned eye to see the small variations in timing, so I've just assumed a default of 100 ms per frame on the animations I've committed (except the peasant, which you were very specific about).
Oh no :o Stupid me, this is bad... Ok, no need to panic...
I'm not panicking. It's no big deal. I just have to change a few lines of code and recommit the files. Honestly, it's a moment's work. It's my own fault for not bringing this up earlier. Another lesson learned. :D
Redeth wrote:it took me a while but I'm posting this simple .txt with all the right sequences for all the animations (except the swordsman since it's zookeeper's creation and he'd have known how to do it properly). I used Jetryl's template.

These represent the exact way the final .gifs look, but feel free to play around if you think you can improve them in any way.

From now on I'll include an individual .txt along with the .zip for each new animation.
kbaskins wrote:I have been able to puzzle out the sequencing by grabbing the gifs and opening them in Preview on my Mac, which breaks down the animation into individual frames. Then I just compare them to the pngs and figure out the sequence, but this is time-consuming and cumbersome. Maybe I'll eventually get proficient at deconstructing animations, but right now I suck at it (which is why I'm the commit idiot and not an artist.:D)
I'm sorry for causing you such trouble, I should have thought of this a long time ago.. :(
Don't beat yourself up about it. I take full responsibility for just assuming instead of asking earlier. And really, it's a fairly quick fix.
Redeth wrote:
kbaskins wrote:BTW, I just want to say how unbelievably awesome I think these animations are. I'm just gobsmacked every time I see a new animation from you guys. There are times when I actually laugh in delight at the antics of these units.
Thanks, and do not hesitate to post new ideas for more idling animations.
The only idea I have for more idling animations is for you to make more idiling animations. I love them.
Redeth wrote:So... the aforementioned .txt, a new one (sergeant animation), and the .zip with the .pngs for the halberdier and sergeant (their sequencing is included in the .txt).
Thank you very much! You have no idea how helpful this is.
Redeth wrote:15 animations done and finished, not so bad eh? :)
I'm beyond impressed. Now get back to work, you slacker! ;-)

--

Karen
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Hey, a quick thought on the implementation: will the standing animations match the unit's facing? So for example, if the Sergeant was facing to the left (our left that is) when the animation triggers, would the frames also reverse, or would he suddenly switch back to the standard facing (to the right) for the duration of the animation?

This has probably been taken care of already, but I was curious...
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Ideas: silver mage teleports staff from one hand to the other. In fact, here is a prototype that people can work from. Feel free to work magic on it to improve it or turn it into an animated gif for everyone else to see.
Attachments
silvermage-idle.tar.gz
(27.74 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
vonHalenbach
Translator

Silver mage idle animation my first try

Post by vonHalenbach »

Hi ! I am certainly no artist, but i have tried to make Darth Fool's animation a bit better. Had some time to waste. :D

Here it is!

This was a funny task.
I had fun.

EDIT: Maybe he should throw the stick back to the right side? This seems to be not quite finished. Your comments are welcome!

Greetings
Stefan
8)
Attachments
new1
new1
silver-mage-idle-1.gif (26.78 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
silvermage-new1.tar.gz
new reworked. Version 1.1
(31.96 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Oreb

Re: Silver mage idle animation my first try

Post by Oreb »

That looks good, instead of having the staff suddenly turn into a ball of 'magic.' Have it instead slowly form into that ball, then transfer as normal, and probably, transfer back magically.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

The mage looks way too static, make his eyes (or better turn the whole head) following the path of the circle.
kbaskins
Art Developer

Post by kbaskins »

(List compiled by Redeth and updated by kbaskins on September 30)

This is what we have in the idling department, so far:

-Peasant committed
-Swordsman committed
-Fencer committed
-Longbowman
-Sergeant committed
-Halberdier

-Dwarf Fighter committed
-Dwarf Warrior committed
-Dwarf Runemaster committed

-Elf Archer committed

-Skel Archer

-Goblin Spearman

-Ogre committed

-Naga Fighter

-Orc Archer
vonHalenbach
Translator

Re: Silver mage idle animation my first try

Post by vonHalenbach »

Oreb wrote:That looks good, instead of having the staff suddenly turn into a ball of 'magic.' Have it instead slowly form into that ball, then transfer as normal, and probably, transfer back magically.
The blue ball of magic was Darth Fool's idea. I can try to fold or shrink the staff and turn him into a ball and back to staff. hopefully not needing too much frames for that. The blue ball of light can be ditched for a dark silvery ball of material. kind of a cannonball.
The mage looks way too static, make his eyes (or better turn the whole head) following the path of the circle.
The idea is good, it certainly is too static. I can try it, but as i sayd before i am not very good in drawing things. :o
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Redeth, you and your numerous idling animations rock! :shock:
You've got a great sense of animating.