Standing and idle animations?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I can't tell what the hand-wiggling part of the gesture means...(this isn't a critique)
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Zhukov wrote:I can't tell what the hand-wiggling part of the gesture means...(this isn't a critique)
Redeth wrote:so he points at them and shakes his fist in a threatening manner
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

It looks rather like if he was a scout, who just noticed enemies, and with an open hand shows people behind them, that they should stop and stay silent - maybe you should make few pixels in north-east of his hand brighter.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Boucman wrote:do I keep the WML tag as [idle_anim] like it currently is, or do you want me to change that too ?

(question adressed to zokeeper, kbaskin, and jetryl)
I'd rather have it as [idle_anim] than [bored_anim]. :) If you come up with a better name than either of those (one that isn't easily confused with [standing_anim], which [idle_anim] could be), then I don't see a problem with changing it (a quick grep does the trick after all). I have no other suggestions for the name though.
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

Does he look dumb enough? :)
Attachments
clueless...
clueless...
orc-archer-idle-animation-1.gif (6.03 KiB) Viewed 4704 times
- Rojo Capo Rey de Copas -
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

the orc archer should move his legs and body slightly if he is shifting his weight like that.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Redeth wrote:
Zhukov wrote:I can't tell what the hand-wiggling part of the gesture means...(this isn't a critique)
FWIW, this made perfect sense to me. This is also a great animation. Looks fine to me. I would especially commend the movement on the feather/plume - it's really well done.

Orcish Bowman: Pretty good; though I'd give just a *touch* of movement to his lower body.
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

I looked at the animations in the game and it looks good, I only miss the ogre :cry:

Another strange thing I noticed; open the save dialog (other dialogs will probably also work), leave it there for a while. Now save, after saving all units start to idle at the same time.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Your so great at animating. Both of those look awesome.
kbaskins
Art Developer

Post by kbaskins »

(List compiled by Redeth and updated by kbaskins on September 26)

This is what we have in the idling department, so far:

-Peasant committed
-Swordsman committed
-Fencer committed
-Longbowman

-Dwarf Fighter committed
-Dwarf Warrior committed
-Dwarf Runemaster

-Elf Archer

-Skel Archer

-Goblin Spearman

-Ogre committed

-Naga Fighter
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Quote from Happypenguin.org:
The game is really well done visually, the sound is good too with nicely composed music. But...

It needs to feel more alive!-- I think the characters could use some animations while idling, so does everything else. Moving water, birds flying over the planes, a mill with moving wings; stuff like that. (Remember the animations in the Heroes of Might and Magic games?) It would really make the game feel more alive.
(And I swear it was not me that posted that. :P )
Lathai

Post by Lathai »

I'm not much of an artist, but I do enjoy reading the art forums. Anyhow, have you considered making standing animations for terrain? It might be another interesting way to make the game seem more dynamic.

Just my two cents.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Jetryl wrote:Quote from Happypenguin.org:
The game is really well done visually, the sound is good too with nicely composed music. But...

It needs to feel more alive!-- I think the characters could use some animations while idling, so does everything else. Moving water, birds flying over the planes, a mill with moving wings; stuff like that. (Remember the animations in the Heroes of Might and Magic games?) It would really make the game feel more alive.
(And I swear it was not me that posted that. :P )
And I swear I didn't read it before implementing that...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Lathai wrote:I'm not much of an artist, but I do enjoy reading the art forums. Anyhow, have you considered making standing animations for terrain? It might be another interesting way to make the game seem more dynamic.

Just my two cents.
standing animation don't make sense for terrain... you probably mean animated terrains.

this is already supported by the engine IIRC but not used (except a few UMC terrains) because too tiring for the user's eye
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Boucman wrote:
Lathai wrote:I'm not much of an artist, but I do enjoy reading the art forums. Anyhow, have you considered making standing animations for terrain? It might be another interesting way to make the game seem more dynamic.

Just my two cents.
standing animation don't make sense for terrain... you probably mean animated terrains.

this is already supported by the engine IIRC but not used (except a few UMC terrains) because too tiring for the user's eye
This is a separate discussion, and something which we're not spearheading right now.

Basically, yes, we've considered doing it for some terrains, but it's got to be really subtle, or it gets *too* busy.