Unit Graphics for Gwiti (Undead Campaign Hero)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

And the ever popular continuation of the "in-grass" series...
Circon

Post by Circon »

The white hair looks a bit too much like a wig seen from the side.
Incidentally, where did that white hair come from? fmunoz' dialog portrait had a few white streaks in the first version, but suddenly Gwiti's hair has turned to white/grey.
Maybe it's been influenced by all the undead, which have white skulls for heads...

What is he doing in the ranged attack? I see the left hand held out, staff in right hand liftes up, some sort of outline between them.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

following circon's comments I've tried a few variations. I'm not sure I'm happy with his hair in the final staff attack frame. The range attack frames 2X are different options for the second frame, although some of them could be used in a longer sequence.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

and the staff2nd frame and in-grass versions
Bander

Post by Bander »

I like the the one with the big glowy thing around his staff 8) . Ice-Cold.
Circon

Post by Circon »

try using c-d-b, that would be nice...
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

So I guess that means they are ready for inclusion? Cedric? I will begin working on animations for the demilich then... :D
James Paige

Nice

Post by James Paige »

Very nice work Darth! I am glad to see somebody stepping up and finishing these units. Sorry I never had time to do any more myself.

If you need any further assitance, do let me know.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Well, I started to work on the Demi-Lich animations, but they aren't done and I've been distracted by other things (d**n work, getting in the way of my Wesnothing!) I post the work in progress below, and leave it to you to finish/polish as you desire. Note the demilich gloves have been changed to red...
Last edited by Darth Fool on June 1st, 2004, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Very good...
Quick Cedric add thse to the CVS!
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

update: are these the current images for the demilich? I saw the wesnoth experience tree and it had a much older demilich picture, that, in my opinion, didn't look half as cool. I was actually paticularly un-impressed by the ancient lich picture in the wesnoth tree. It looked okay, but the images I saw here of a spider lich looked a lot better for a 4th level unit. It makes sense that when a lich reaches his full power he might comes something less than human. And human skeletons get old after a while. Unless Circon really wants to use the spiderlich in his campaign as a special unit, with some work the spider version of the ancient lich could be really cool.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I repeat what I said earlier. The caped lich looks good for level 4, the spider lich looks good for level five.

Maybe add that shadow halo I had been talking about, for level 5?

If someone thinks the unit shouldn't be included because it is too powerful on level 4, well, then BRING 4 DOWN A BIT. Geez.

If anyone should have more levels, it's the campaign heroes.

--------

And the current ancient lich, I think, should be an upgrade of the normal lich. I think it should be a upgrade that is VERY HARD TO GET, but it should be included. This way, the excellent graphics made for that unit don't go to waste, it will only exist in campaigns when chosen specifically, and will only show up in multiplayer when the player manages to somehow get an unbelievable amount of XP.

Like, we're talking 400 xp to level the thing. If someone manages to get that much for a level 3 unit - hell, they deserve something. It's not like the living dead get weak with age, anyways. :P
Alpha

Post by Alpha »

Jetryl wrote:I repeat what I said earlier. The caped lich looks good for level 4, the spider lich looks good for level five.

Maybe add that shadow halo I had been talking about, for level 5?

If someone thinks the unit shouldn't be included because it is too powerful on level 4, well, then BRING 4 DOWN A BIT. Geez.

If anyone should have more levels, it's the campaign heroes.

--------

And the current ancient lich, I think, should be an upgrade of the normal lich. I think it should be a upgrade that is VERY HARD TO GET, but it should be included. This way, the excellent graphics made for that unit don't go to waste, it will only exist in campaigns when chosen specifically, and will only show up in multiplayer when the player manages to somehow get an unbelievable amount of XP.

Like, we're talking 400 xp to level the thing. If someone manages to get that much for a level 3 unit - hell, they deserve something. It's not like the living dead get weak with age, anyways. :P
I agree with Jetryl. I think if we're talking about a campaign hero here, he should probably have another level than the other units. Two levels higher, yeah that's okay. But if you get units that are like level 6 and above, that would just be stupid! Even for heroes in a campaign!

So in my opinion, the spider lich thing should be the fifth level but that should be the final level.
Always remember you are unique, just like everyone else! :)
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Alpha wrote:But if you get units that are like level 6 and above, that would just be stupid! Even for heroes in a campaign!
Definitely!

Better heroes is a good idea: That way you can have some more progession for your main character, not level him up to L3 in the first few scenarios, like I did in HttT and the Undead campaign.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

BUMP, I'm going to be working on this.

I want to move the current Ancient Lich to a Lich upgrade, and add the following levels for Gwiti:

(Initiate, Deathmaster)

EDIT: The Demilich should have its draining power reduced to 10-2, and its HP to 72.

Level 4, Archlich, using the non-spidery Ancient Lich (with modifications, it has a few problems currently)
80 HP
9-3 melee cold drain
15-4 ranged cold magical
6 moves

Level 5, Master Lich, using the spidery Ancient Lich (it could also be improved, but not as much)
88 HP
8-4 melee cold drain
15-5 ranged cold magical
7 moves. (come on, I like that 'faster than most undead' line, but it's only speed 6 and what about ghost and bats?)
Last edited by Elvish_Pillager on July 24th, 2004, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.