[Updated] Video trailer to showcase BfW artwork

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
scott

Post by scott »

Perhaps the berserker portrait should be replaced with a knight, paladin, grand knight, naga, merman, saurian, or drake portrait. Pretty much any other portrait in the game would be better.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
radoz
Art Contributor

Post by radoz »

Thanks for comments on the list of catch phrases! I used turin's list and worked in the other suggestions.

The following list would work quite well along with the images shown in the video:

six factions | 200 plus units | six campaigns | fully customizable | downloadable add-ons | multiplayer | internet play | runs on Linux | on Macs | and Windows | and best of all ... | it's free!

(We need twelve of them, so I left "internet play" in there, because it explains even to newbies what is meant.)

Would "200+ units" instead of "200 plus units" be better?

Would "download add-ons" be okay? ("downloadable add-ons" is a tad too long with the current font size and speed)
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't ...
radoz
Art Contributor

Post by radoz »

scott wrote:Perhaps the berserker portrait should be replaced with a knight, paladin, grand knight, naga, merman, saurian, or drake portrait. Pretty much any other portrait in the game would be better.
Fully agree. We have a knight a few seconds after the portraits in the campaings screen, so I replaced the berserker with a merman fighter and it looks nice.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't ...
ascendant

Post by ascendant »

I can't help me, but IMO now it looks like the game is mostly about mermen. :?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

ascendant wrote:I can't help me, but IMO now it looks like the game is mostly about mermen. :?
trust me, it is... :)

really--I'd use (this is probably a bad suggestion) konrad, delfador, lisar--one of the "main characters" from a mainline scenario to put there...
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
radoz
Art Contributor

Post by radoz »

ascendant wrote:I can't help me, but IMO now it looks like the game is mostly about mermen. :?
The video runtime is 73 seconds, less than 2 seconds of which a merman is visible. Technically, I wouldn't call that "mostly about mermen" ;)

If we kill that guy we won't have any mermen in the video at all. Lisar would be cool, but I thought we'd rather show members of a faction here, not campaign characters? (Konrad is already in the video, just a few seconds after the portraits.)
Stilgar

Post by Stilgar »

Can someone please tell me what I need to play this? Neither version shows properly when I play it in Winamp, I just get the background music with no image. This is true of both the H264 and the "normal" version. :cry:
scott

Post by scott »

quicktime
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The new list sounds good. Do you have an updated version for download?

BTW, when using VLC on Debian Linux, it plays the video, but it is very blurry and choppy. The sound is fine.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
radoz
Art Contributor

Post by radoz »

turin wrote:The new list sounds good. Do you have an updated version for download?
Overnight rendering of the new version just finished:

Current BfW Trailer 640x480 (Quicktime .mp4 H264 codec, 9 MB)

Current BfW Trailer 640x480 (normal .mpg, 26 MB)

Current BfW Trailer 320x240 (normal .mpg, 8 MB)
turin wrote: BTW, when using VLC on Debian Linux, it plays the video, but it is very blurry and choppy. The sound is fine.
I hope the above .mpg files will play fine on all OS, though they crash Quicktime on my Mac. VLC plays them just fine. In general, all videos uploaded by me should be of high quality, 30 frames per second, with only barely noticeable compression artefacts and the sound is 128kBit stereo. At least that's what they look like when watched on my machine. :? Those codecs drive me insane...
Guillaume

Post by Guillaume »

Fantastic work :D
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

Beautiful! I still think it needs a voice actor though....
toms

Post by toms »

radoz wrote:
The video runtime is 73 seconds, less than 2 seconds of which a merman is visible. Technically, I wouldn't call that "mostly about mermen" ;)

If we kill that guy we won't have any mermen in the video at all. Lisar would be cool, but I thought we'd rather show members of a faction here, not campaign characters? (Konrad is already in the video, just a few seconds after the portraits.)
I think he meant the picture you posted. :)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

radoz wrote:
turin wrote: BTW, when using VLC on Debian Linux, it plays the video, but it is very blurry and choppy. The sound is fine.
I hope the above .mpg files will play fine on all OS, though they crash Quicktime on my Mac. VLC plays them just fine. In general, all videos uploaded by me should be of high quality, 30 frames per second, with only barely noticeable compression artefacts and the sound is 128kBit stereo. At least that's what they look like when watched on my machine. :? Those codecs drive me insane...
Hm... It still bugs out for me. It might be a problem with my system, though. I'll reinstall VLC and see if it works.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Looks great! :)

Just one suggestion for a text change: free -> Free.

This way anyone who is familar with FLOSS software will understand it's Free software, not just 'freeware'.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming