Werewolf Faction; Art

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jester

Werewolf Faction; Art

Post by Jester »

Well, I am making a Werewolf Faction and'd like some comments on the art.
So here goes:

Werewolf, Rabid Wolf and Warrior Wolf
Attachments
Unit_Rabid_Wolf.png
Unit_Rabid_Wolf.png (5.14 KiB) Viewed 4185 times
Unit_Warrior.png
Unit_Warrior.png (5.12 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
Unit_Werewolf.png
Unit_Werewolf.png (3.91 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
Jester

Post by Jester »

Stalker, Shadow Pelt, Night Eye
Attachments
Unit_Stalker.png
Unit_Stalker.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
I heard they were stoned out of their minds, trying to convince the Statue of Liberty to get naked...

CCBS - Compulsive Cat Biting Syndrome, when you know that kittens shouldn't have heads attached to their bodies.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Fight creeping biggerism. These guys are way, way too big. The stalker is a decent size, and is done pretty well; the others need to have their height halved.
Last edited by turin on March 10th, 2006, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

I really like the rapid wolf. He is very cool. 8)
Jester

Post by Jester »

Stalker, Shadow Pelt, Night Eye
Attachments
Unit_Shadow_Stalker.png
Unit_Shadow_Stalker.png (1.73 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
Unit_Stalker.png
Unit_Stalker.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
Unit_Night_Eye.png
Unit_Night_Eye.png (1.77 KiB) Viewed 4179 times

Jester

Post by Jester »

Fenrir, Moon Blade
Attachments
Unit_Fenrir.png
Unit_Fenrir.png (3.82 KiB) Viewed 4167 times
Unit_Moon_Blade.png
Unit_Moon_Blade.png (3.66 KiB) Viewed 4171 times

Alks

Post by Alks »

Except for Creeping Biggerism, they are ok. Distinctive(that's important) and well done. Stalker/Night Eye/Shadow Stalker look too similar. However, I like them very much.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Alks wrote:Except for Creeping Biggerism, they are ok. Distinctive(that's important) and well done. Stalker/Night Eye/Shadow Stalker look too similar. However, I like them very much.
Sure, sure. But creeping biggerism is a huge problem with these units. Compare them to any decent-sized unit, and you'll see what I mean. They're as large as the skeletal dragon!
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

Yep - please make the units smaller and everything will be alright. I mean - there won't have to be multi-hex units in the game - the sprites themselves will soon occupy more than one. ;-)
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
--
Project StD - Save the Drakes - we want more branches! =)
Alks

Post by Alks »

turin wrote:Sure, sure. But creeping biggerism is a huge problem with these units. Compare them to any decent-sized unit, and you'll see what I mean. They're as large as the skeletal dragon!
Tell me about it. I am struggling with the same problem. Lots of work with Phantoms went down due to the CB-sindrome. And lots of work will go down, as I still do not have this feeling.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Alks wrote:Tell me about it. I am struggling with the same problem. Lots of work with Phantoms went down due to the CB-sindrome. And lots of work will go down, as I still do not have this feeling.
If you're using the GIMP/Photoshop, it's often helpful to include a standard unit on a separate layer, or at least some height/width guides for comparison purposes. *EDIT* When you're first creating the art, that is; it's not much use at this point, unfortunately.
Last edited by irrevenant on March 11th, 2006, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester

Post by Jester »

Ok, thanks for the comments all.
I kind of expected the CB comment.
Do you guys have any tips on scaling the units down, without to much loss of detail and such. I worked hard on them and it's a bit painfull having to scale them down, but it has to be

Alks

Post by Alks »

I don't know if anything can help. I fought with CB by shrinking them and then contrasting. Some detailed parts I had to redraw. Click on my signature too see the results, there were posted both CB-ed units and resized.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Jester wrote:Ok, thanks for the comments all.
I kind of expected the CB comment.
Do you guys have any tips on scaling the units down, without to much loss of detail and such. I worked hard on them and it's a bit painfull having to scale them down, but it has to be
Just manualy shrink any part that's unimportant, say those huge legs and crap.
Attachments
wolf-resized.png
wolf-resized.png (109.6 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

Neo - you rock. =) These look really nice - they haven't lost anything of their charm. =)

You've become something of a shrinking expert. ^^
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
--
Project StD - Save the Drakes - we want more branches! =)