Tcolours and recruiting

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Tux2B

Tcolours and recruiting

Post by Tux2B »

Tcolouring is great, but there is one odd thing, though. I don't know if it's being corrected, at least, I haven't seen anyone mentioning it as being woked on. If it is, then this thread has no reason to be.

I noticed that in the recruiting lists, units are shown with magenta colours. Couldn't they have the colours of the team that is recruiting the units?

Of course, this is not very important. I think it's not too difficult to do and it would be quite good.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

This is also an issue with almost everywhere images are displayed except when on the field of battle.

It seems to me we need to either create a tcolored-for-side-1 version of each unit, so we can use them in places like this, or (preferrable) find some way to make every image in the game displayed as if magenta is the team color, except in-game when the unit file says otherwise.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
jonadab

Post by jonadab »

turin wrote:It seems to me we need to either create a tcolored-for-side-1 version of each unit, so we can use them in places like this, or (preferrable) find some way to make every image in the game displayed as if magenta is the team color, except in-game when the unit file says otherwise.
Bear in mind, team-coloring is only the beginning of automatic unit recoloring. Once that is done, there is talk of recoloring things like hair and horses and tunics and so on, each with one of several possible colors, chosen at recruiting time, as a way of differentiating recruited units from one another visually. Personally, I consider that to be the real benefit of the recoloring capability, TC practically a footnote in comparison.

So, the solution to this needs to be general enough to cope with that. I don't think just assuming "magenta is the team color" is adequately general.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

actually, I'm corecting it everywhere.... except in the recall list where it's complicated

[tecnicall mode on]

the problem is that the recall list is implemented with a menu widget and the menu widget can only take an image as a filename. it needs to be able to take a SDL surface.

I'm working on something else right now and can't change that... I'll discuss it with Morloth (who is redoing the GUI

[technicall mode off]
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Boucman wrote:actually, I'm corecting it everywhere.... except in the recall list where it's complicated

[tecnicall mode on]

the problem is that the recall list is implemented with a menu widget and the menu widget can only take an image as a filename. it needs to be able to take a SDL surface.

I'm working on something else right now and can't change that... I'll discuss it with Morloth (who is redoing the GUI

[technicall mode off]
COOL!
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

jonadab wrote:Bear in mind, team-coloring is only the beginning of automatic unit recoloring. Once that is done, there is talk of recoloring things like hair and horses and tunics and so on, each with one of several possible colors, chosen at recruiting time, as a way of differentiating recruited units from one another visually. Personally, I consider that to be the real benefit of the recoloring capability, TC practically a footnote in comparison.
I would love to see poisoined units skin turn green! I suppose this and the things you speak of would require all the units to be redone in a layered graphic format where the hair is one layer, team color another, clothes another, skin another etc.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Woodwizzle wrote:
jonadab wrote:Bear in mind, team-coloring is only the beginning of automatic unit recoloring. Once that is done, there is talk of recoloring things like hair and horses and tunics and so on, each with one of several possible colors, chosen at recruiting time, as a way of differentiating recruited units from one another visually. Personally, I consider that to be the real benefit of the recoloring capability, TC practically a footnote in comparison.
I would love to see poisoined units skin turn green! I suppose this and the things you speak of would require all the units to be redone in a layered graphic format where the hair is one layer, team color another, clothes another, skin another etc.
If it's neccesary to use a "layered graphic format" (whatever you mean by that) to do these things we won't do them. (untill such time as such a format exists that works as well for our purposes and has readily available editors)
However it's possible that a modification of the TColoring engine could accomplish these things.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I agree that it would be tremendous work to do so and the advantage would be aesthetic only. Just seemed like Jonadab knew something about it I don't.

A layered format btw would be something like adobe's .psd or gimp's .xcf I believe it is also possible with .tiff but I'm not sure how.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Disto

Post by Disto »

Woodwizzle wrote:I agree that it would be tremendous work to do so and the advantage would be aesthetic only. Just seemed like Jonadab knew something about it I don't.

A layered format btw would be something like adobe's .psd or gimp's .xcf I believe it is also possible with .tiff but I'm not sure how.
Which would also make the game huge, and it'd be better to just use seperate .PNGs , .xcf's are only useful if you want to edit them later, otherwise its better to use .PNG
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

it might be doable with the TCing way, but that's for later...

layered format would be much more complicated
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim