The Corsairs have Returned

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Fynmiir

The Corsairs have Returned

Post by Fynmiir »

Hi, im sorta an art newb, but was tinkering w/ GIMP and made this corsair ship. Just wodering what people thought of it...
Attachments
corsair-ship.png
corsair-ship.png (2.32 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
Last edited by Fynmiir on April 14th, 2006, 1:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
Alks

Post by Alks »

Hmmmm...

Make the sail higher and more visible - first thing. Second thing is that it still looks more like corsair boat, try to add more details, some cannon "holes"(can't find any word, I hope you know what I mean). This art is good basics to work on.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

[not serious]Why weren't you here one year earlier when I had to make boat graphics for one of my ideas? :cry: [/not serious]

It looks fine. It might not be of the quality of the art devs, but it is a good begin.
And welcome to the forums, BTW!
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

okay made some deatail changes (cannon places & a flag) not sure bout the sails tho... i need more advice on them. i also wanna do somethin w tha open space inthe back...
Attachments
corsair-ship.png
corsair-ship.png (2.4 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
Alks

Post by Alks »

Ok, it looks much better...

If I were you, I would do something with the front of the ship(I mean this thing with flag on the right). It doesn't look good. And sails should be more standing, you have some free pixels to use, make it taller.

And yes, you are making good steps.
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

you should try to make the deck of the ship not black, the distinction between the sails and the rest will be easier… :)
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

k, completely redid the sails and tried to do somthin w/ the deck. its not exactly where i want it but let me know if its going in the right direction...
Attachments
corsair-ship.png
corsair-ship.png (2.39 KiB) Viewed 4551 times
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

okay, i made some more changes cuz i didnt like my last attempt. New 3rd sail & a shorter front flag javaline thing (sry to anyone who knows what its called :( )
Attachments
corsair-ship.png
corsair-ship.png (2.42 KiB) Viewed 4523 times
Disto

Post by Disto »

It's a javelin :) , well that's what you look like your attempting to spell, I would suggest it's not a good idea to draw things in black, unless your going to use a lot more greys.

And IMHO even though you say there is a 3rd sail it looks as if it's just some kind of tent over the deck, you need to make more contrast so the sails can be differentiated.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

za, ive noticed that & plan on wrking on it. i definately c what u mean. tnx a whole lot! :D
Disto

Post by Disto »

Oh yeah and one last tip, there are plenty of foreign people on the forum (non-english speakers) who will not be able to understand lesser leet, so can you please make their life easier.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

okay, i made a railing on the back of the ship & made the sails lighter and (hopefully) more contrasted...
Attachments
corsair-ship.png
corsair-ship.png (2.39 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Fynmiir wrote:okay, i made a railing on the back of the ship & made the sails lighter and (hopefully) more contrasted...
yeah, tinkering of the sails made them much easier to see.
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

i reworked the deck some more. i didn't like the way it was before, not enough contrast
Attachments
corsair-ship.png
corsair-ship.png (2.28 KiB) Viewed 4483 times
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

sorry for the double post, but i was tinkering with a new version of the ship in a different program. i may do more work but let me know if it's an improvement or not.
Attachments
Boat.png
Boat.png (4.28 KiB) Viewed 4445 times