Campaign: Invasion of Arendia

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Campaign: Invasion of Arendia

Post by Crendgrim »

1.5.14 is still on Sourceforge as well:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... th-1.5.14/

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Eugen

Post by Eugen »

Thank you, Crendgrim, the campaign works for 1.6.5 (and it´s quite an intersting campaign indeed) :)
Kaddo

Post by Kaddo »

I'm working on scenario 15 right now, and it's rather buggy. Some was due to obsolete WML, and this was easy enough to fix, but some is more complicated. I may have to do a partial rewrite.
Kaddo

Post by Kaddo »

I've decided that scenario 15, as it is now, simply has too many transitions to work, so I'm splitting it into two parts. The first part, or 'new' scenario 15, is almost done. In fact, there's only one bug left to fix, although it's proving to be a rather stubborn one.
Kaddo

Post by Kaddo »

IoA v0.4.7 is up.

Main changes from v0.4.6:

1. Scenario 14 now playable (minor changes to the map).

2. Scenario 15 now playable. This is the first part of the 'old' scenario 15. It uses an enlarged and modified version of the 'old' map.

3. Some units had two sets of descriptions. The second set should be visible now.

4. Updated some more unit WML. All unit special abilities (the ones you'll probably notice are poisoned arrows and magic for the Nagas) should be working now.

5. Added sounds and icons for some Naga attacks.

Regarding scenario 15, it's the first one where a major part of the story/dialogue text is mine, although the basic storyline remains unchanged. Expect the same style from this point onwards.
LordAwsomeness

Post by LordAwsomeness »

I played this campaign nearly 8 years ago. It was one of my most memorable early Wesnoth experiences. I'm really sad to see that it is no longer maintained :(
- Been playing Wesnoth since 2004 and the 1.0.x versions.
- Creator of Undead Invasion MP Scenario Pack.
- Creator of Valeria MP Adventure
- Creator of LA_RPG ERA
Mathemagician

Post by Mathemagician »

Well, I just ported this to wesnoth 1.14 and put it on the add-on server. Feel free to download it. It's also on github. So far, I haven't made any changes aside from making it playable, though I have some usability and polish updates planned, plus fixes for some lesser bugs. All scenarios should technically be playable, in the sense that the game won't error out. I can't promise that they're particularly balanced though, or that they're actually winnable (good luck protecting the suicidal AI unit with skirmisher).

If anyone wants to be the maintainer, I'm happy to pass on the reins. I'm an off and on player, so I will abandon this sooner or later. Plus there's one more campaign of yore that I want to resurrect.

The campaign was never finished, afaict (I'm not reading through all 41 pages of this topic to verify). Even if you don't want to be the maintainer, I could use some help finishing off the plot, and planning the remaining maps and scenarios.
Formerly NeoPhile
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

It is not possible to complete the campaign. In "Through Water and Stone", side 5 leader type is "Lava Beast" which never gets created, so you can't kill it, so the next event never fires, etc, etc.

Okay, it is possible, you just need to change the type to "EOM_Lava_Beast", purge your cache and reload the save of the last turn in the previous level.

And...

Black Hand (capitalized, proper name) - everywhere

border disturbance: vainity > vanity ?

midnight raiding: inconvinient > inconvenient
Turlins source > Turlin's source
But now we should go now
get that Convoy > get that convoy
Is killing the enemy leader supposed to be a win?

threats: Untill > Until
obvious. if > obvious. If
You got Lucky > You got lucky
O shut up > Oh, shut up
again ill > again I'll
you little > your little
havn't. there > haven't. There # haven't is misspelled all through the campaign, and lots of missing capitals
aincient > ancient
freind > friend
nessecarily > necessarily
wispering > whispering
thats > that's
you're leader > your leader

black hand attack: arn't > aren't # misspelled throughout campaign
untill > until
suspisions > suspicions
becasue > because
invalid WML [avoid]
giong > going
mountins > mountains
shurley > surely # and don't call me Shirley
undefaetable > undefeatable
at it's peak > at its peak
dieing > dying
hord > horde
hoard > horde

Enemy of my Enemy: shineing > shining
freinds > friends
belive > believe
shure > sure
pennyless > penniless
Lt Faldor runs into battle and gets killed on turn 4, before I could get there to do anything about it. Same for Sarah and Ethel
grandfathers > grandfather's
minuit > minute
hoard > horde

Turlin's Fall: Hoarde/Hoard > horde (or Horde if that's a proper name)
we'll Fight > we'll fight

Sneaking Around: hopeing > hoping
dissapeared > disappeared (x2)
someting > something
loose > lose
freindly > friendly
bound this place > bound to this place
lets > let's
thats > that's
it's > its
dissapating > dissipating

Freeing Nagas: tributarys > tributaries

Naga Temple: tideings > tidings

Saving: wasen't > wasn't

Through Water: destory > destroy (x2)
minons > minions
Settlment > settlement

unit type raider: accuricy > accuracy

caravan weapon type is odd
Mathemagician

Post by Mathemagician »

I believe most of that is already fixed in the current version, v0.15.6. Invalid [avoid] and Faldor & Ethel (but not Sarah) are still issues. Thanks for the report!
Formerly NeoPhile
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Mathemagician wrote: December 21st, 2019, 2:57 am I believe most of that is already fixed in the current version, v0.15.6. Invalid [avoid] and Faldor & Ethel (but not Sarah) are still issues. Thanks for the report!
Hi,

Just to let you know, when I download this mod, I get the option to publish or upload because _server.pbl bundled with the downloaded addon. I don't know how to fix that, maybe including _server.pbl to the _server.ign list would do it.
https://wiki.wesnoth.org/IGNFileFormat says if a custom _server.ign isn't there, then by default it would ignore *.pbl
Mathemagician

Post by Mathemagician »

The wiki lied to me! Thanks vghetto, fixed now.
wiki wrote:If there is a custom _server.ign file, the contents of the file are used in addition to the defaults listed here.
Formerly NeoPhile
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

It's good that someone maintained it. It is not a bad campaign; I would rate it as slightly above average.

There are a few minor issues, but one that I particularly found annoying was in:

"Saving Thrashan"

Not only will lots of enemies appear, but my biggest problem is that the allied hero unit (the leader)
keeps on suiciding eagerly. That is to run out, attack some weak enemy unit, and then die in
retaliation as it is surrounded by enemy units.

Other campaigns allow us to toggle the behaviour a bit, e. g. set them more defensively, but perhaps there
should be a general option available for wesnoth so that we can avoid SPECIFICALLY the allied leader
unit from suiciding. Or, perhaps, to allow it to auto-recruit but move and control it past the third turn or
something like that. I don't mind if allied units die, but if the same outcome happens at the same turn
where the allied unit just rushes forward like an idiot, and then gets killed, then it defeats the whole point
of playing a scenario in general. Since this happens in several campaigns, and some custom add-ons
allow custom settings here, I would recommend finding some general way how to control suicidal
allied leader units. Specifically, if that single unit would NOT keep on suiciding, then this would greatly
reduce frustration with a campaign. (I gave up after the fifth try; he always runs out when enemies
come too close.)
Mathemagician

Post by Mathemagician »

shevegen wrote: March 5th, 2020, 3:08 pm "Saving Thrashan"

Not only will lots of enemies appear, but my biggest problem is that the allied hero unit (the leader)
keeps on suiciding eagerly. That is to run out, attack some weak enemy unit, and then die in
retaliation as it is surrounded by enemy units.
I've changed the allied leader/hero AI from return guardian to coward in Saving Thrashan (v0.15.9). Hopefully that should fix the problem, but I haven't tested beyond making sure the scenario loads without errors. You'll have to load from the start of scenario savefile, before turn 1, for that to take effect.

Honestly, I don't know how I managed to finish this campaign back in the day, before I took over and added a dozen AI tweaks.
shevegen wrote: March 5th, 2020, 3:08 pm Other campaigns allow us to toggle the behaviour a bit, e. g. set them more defensively, but perhaps there
should be a general option available for wesnoth so that we can avoid SPECIFICALLY the allied leader
unit from suiciding. Or, perhaps, to allow it to auto-recruit but move and control it past the third turn or
something like that. I don't mind if allied units die, but if the same outcome happens at the same turn
where the allied unit just rushes forward like an idiot, and then gets killed, then it defeats the whole point
of playing a scenario in general. Since this happens in several campaigns, and some custom add-ons
allow custom settings here, I would recommend finding some general way how to control suicidal
allied leader units. Specifically, if that single unit would NOT keep on suiciding, then this would greatly
reduce frustration with a campaign. (I gave up after the fifth try; he always runs out when enemies
come too close.)
This is the wrong place for that discussion. Nowadays, scenario authors have several tools available to prevent this, so any engine-level changes would likely be deemed more trouble than they're worth. Modifying the default leader AI might be your best bet if you want to make a proposal along those lines.
Formerly NeoPhile
EdyMaximan1

Post by EdyMaximan1 »

Men your campaign is just a little problem for me I can uninstall it try fixing that before finishing you campaign thanks for reading and good luck
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

Hi, I recently started this ancient campaign. (Playing on BfW 1.14.11)

Talking about units:
- Brigand > Raider: Missing only sound when hitted.
- Rogue Mage > Shadow Mage > Shadow Lord: Looks like oudated sprite from the past, same issue with Brigand's advancement line. I suggest you must borrow those units from mainline Liberty.

About heroes:
- Teresa: Missing only sound when hitted too.
- Matt and Tom: Same issue with Rogue mage advancement line.

And thus finally, I completed this campaign. But...
Spoiler:
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)