Campaign: Invasion of Arendia

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

Post by scott »

Yes. Liberty and Flight to Freedom do it. I think it's also in the wiki. It's not elegant.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Is there any way of randomly generating traits for units put on the map at the beginning of a scenario.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Yep. Again, it is in FtF, Liberty, and, for this, in Saving Elensefar and Sceptre of Fire.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

tried using the util from SoF, but it didn't work, I included the file from this campaign (to test it), and I adaed the required WML

Code: Select all

{RANDOM_TRAIT_UNIT (
	type=Javelineer
	x=33
	y=6
	)}
but the unit dissapeared.

I then made my own version of the file in my directory, and it still wasn't there.

any suggestions as to why?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Yeah... uh, you need to include the macro as well as the code referencing the macro. :roll:

Look in Sceptre_of_Fire/scenarios/utils/utils.cfg. It's the last one.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

already did that (its what I meant when I said I made my own version of the file) I suppose It wasn't very clear. I referenced this new file instead of the old one, but it still didn't work (as I said earlier)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

You also have to reference the utils file. Like this:

{@data/campaigns/Scepter_of_Fire/scenarios/utils/}

Put that in your {CAMPAIGN_NAME}.cfg file.
The World of Orbivm
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Ranger M wrote:When you mentioned the lv0 unit being invisible was it always invisible or only some of the time?
have you downloaded Lv3 Bandits from the server because it and it's images come from that.
All of the time, and no, I haven't dlded Lv3 Bandits - that's probably the problem.

When a non-standard unit is used in multiple campaigns, is there a problem with including it in all of them, or will they clash?

*EDIT* No, it's not the problem. I've dlded the L3 Outlaws now, and the henchmen are still invisible. :(
Last edited by irrevenant on December 18th, 2005, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

New Spelling/Grammar touch-ups : Border Disturbance

Post by irrevenant »

More spelling/grammar touch-ups : Border Disturbance.

Note that I've generally kept my input to straight corrections - I'd phrase things differently in a few places, but that's personal preference, and I don't want to step on your toes. The only exception is that I've occasionally separated run-on sentences (eg. the last one).
  • "After Reth's first kill, aged fourteen, he quickly earned a reputation amongst the bandits and he soon was given command of the camp outside the Fortress that had been Jack's until he retired."
    "From here he managed the food supplies, as all the hunters (or in the Crown's eyes, poachers) lived in this camp, the training grounds and the outer defences of the fortress."
    "Turlin, look, we are being attacked by the Black Hand gang, I can see them pouring off the north road from Barnabon now."
    "Again they challenge our borders, (you'd have thought they learnt their lesson last year)."
    "Hey, when was that fort built? I swear it wasn't there a minute ago."
    "Your elder is no longer the only one with magic in these parts! Flee before my might. See how I hid this fort's construction from your eyes. It is but a fraction of my true power!"
    "Oh dear, looks like he has been overwhelmed by the magic he tried to control, and has gone mad. Oh well it makes no difference - we were going to kill him anyway. Luckily it looks like he decided to keep his knowledge of magic to himself, I see no other mages in this group."
    "Footpads make excellent scouts and are good for capturing villages and holding them, although they are relatively weak Poachers have a good ranged attack and so are great against thieves and thugs. Also we have limited supplies because it is just after winter, so make this quick."
    "My name is Teresa, I was once a member of the Black Hand gang, and I need protection from these men. I was driven from my home in the hills when they marched here and they recognised me."
    "Unfortunately after I left I wan't too popular with them. Needless to say, they weren't too happy to see me. If you protect me I will give you information vital to your survival."
    "I think we should. Partially because the information might be useful. But mostly because it will piss off the black hand."
    "Alright you're in. Remain under Reth's command until the end of the battle, then we shall talk about your information."
    "Noooo! But I am invincible!"
    "Tom! No, don't die on me now, not after all we've been through!"
    "Matt! No, don't die, I can't live without my other half!"
    "Oh, no! Our supplies have run out! Now even if we do win most of us will die anyway!"
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Spelling/Grammar touch-ups : Reth's Training

Post by irrevenant »

Spelling/Grammar touch-ups for Reth's Training:
  • "And I am grateful that you took me in. If it wasn't for you and your sons then I would have died in that ditch."
    "Well now we are going to teach you how you can do that, partially. It is time for you to earn your keep, you have lived off our charity for too long."
    "Go to Jack and he will first teach you how to hunt so that you can help us gather food this year. Then, once you have proved that you can handle a bow he will teach you to fight properly with a sword."
    "(aside to Reth once Turlin has left) Reth I can't believe he just gave you that stuff. We haven't had a ranger for twenty years, not since Jack's brother Mike. Every bandit who can handle a bow has been begging for that title and equipment ever since, and now he just gives it to you. You're only just fourteen!"
    "Don't worry about it, this will be easy. You've been practicing sword fighting with us since you were nine, and been wandering out to go hunting with your bow since you were seven."
    "It's not the training that's the problem. Every man who wanted this stuff will now be trying to beat me or put me down so that I hand it to them."
    "Now!? But its the middle of the night, and I haven't seen fog this thick in years."
    "Best time for hunting. Head southwest across the bridge, and then south and you will find his camp."
    "I know, and I'm glad he sent you, I always thought you had a talent for hunting. And I have seen you practicing swordplay with Matt and Tom, even if Turlin hasn't, and far as I can tell, you're pretty good."
    "So you can forget about not using your sword, and nice easy targets, we're just going to move straight onto wolves as I have already seen you kill at least one of everything less dangerous than that."
    "But how? I snuck out in the middle of the night when I went hunting, and covered my tracks well. And when me, Matt and Tom went out to practice I did the same thing."
    "Are you forgetting boy, I am the best hunter in these parts. I can track anything. And seeing as I'm your new master now you can use a more respectful tone. All right?"
    "There have been some wolf attacks in the villages near the river. Go find them and kill them."
    "So this is Reth. Time to die."
    "Nope. Nothing here."
    "Noooo!"
    "Jack, you could have told me that you meant the leader of the gang called Wolf."
    "I didn't. Holy cow, you just killed a Black Hand leader when you're only fourteen. Not even my brother could have done that."
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Oops, one I missed from "Reth's Beginning":

"This story takes place in the north of a Country called Arendia, near Wesnoth. It is of a man called Reth and his people's struggle to escape a soon-to-be decimated continent. But where will they go?".

BTW, are Tom & Matt supposed to be rocking around capturing villages in that mission? *edit* Oops, I meant in the "Reth's Training" mission.
Last edited by irrevenant on December 18th, 2005, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

irrevenant: no they aren't and I have made a change to this effect, also thanks for the corrections.

Turin:also already dome (thats what I meant by referenced)

irrevenant (again): no they shouldn't clash, particularly on this campaign as I included them in the campaign folder, so the only things taken from the L3 Outlaws pack are the images. As for the problem, I cannot explain it so I would post it in the technical support forum.

[edit] you're L3 Outlaws pack and your Invasion of arendia campaign folder are both in the campaign folder aren't they?
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

got another problem now.

in one of the missions it is supposed to end when you move to a point on the map

Code: Select all

[event]
	name=moveto
		[filter]
		x=59
		y=10
		description=Reth
		[/filter]
		[message]
		speaker=unit
		message= _ "Now we must head east."
		[/message]
		[message]
		description=Sir Guane
		image=portraits/Commander.png
		message= _ "No, how did you escape.!"
		[/message]
		[message]
		description=Reth
		message= _ "Bye now."
		[/message]
		[message]
		description=Matt
		image=portraits/Matt.png
		message= _ "No... our Father remains un avenged"
		[/message]
		[message]
		description=Teresa
		message= _ "Sir Guane will be dead soon enough."
		[/message]
		[message]
		description=Tom
		image=portraits/Tom.png
		message= _ "That's only little comfort."
		[/message]
		[message]
		description=Reth
		message= _ "We'll, at least one good thing came out of this. I managed to retrive some of your fathers books, so you can now train more rogue mages to help us in future battles.
		[/message]
		[endlevel]
		next_scenario="Fleeing_east"
		result=victory
		bonus=no
		[/endlevel]
	[/event]
but the mission doesn't end, infact nothing happens

Here is the whole mission incase you need to see other parts.

[edit] have solved this now.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Turin identified the cause of the 'invisible units' bug for Saving Elensefar here.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

when I added the images for the new bandit units, as suggested in that thread, I did include a new folder for them and made it look there already, so the new version, when It comes out tonight, should work.

if it doesn't pm me