Campaign: Invasion of Arendia

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Matthi205

Re: Campaign: Invasion of Arendia

Post by Matthi205 »

I will to download it.BUT IT IS STILL NOT ON THE CAMPAIGN SERVER!!! :( :evil: :augh: :!: :?: :idea: :?
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

This is because I've been having major problems implementing Reths new ability, and because that's taken me so long I'm now in the middle of my school exams, so the new release will be delayed untill either my exams finish, or I finish enough of them that I can try and solve the problem between revising (which I don't do much of anyway) and finishing my coursework (the most recent and most major drain on my time right now, although that has to be done by saturday anyway, so after that it will only be exam revision)
Matthi205

Post by Matthi205 »

Day :?: I have my "finish-the-fifth-class"-test on 12. and 13.may. :(
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

If your asking when my exams are (and when they finish) I have 6 more exams to do over the next four weeks (including half term which is the third week), and they end on friday the 6th of May.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Since today is May 9th, I assume you mean June... ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

why yes, yes I do...
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I am now (literally as I type this message) uploading the newest version of IoA (0.4.1, which reads as campaigns not scenario compelte.4 playable scenarios.first release with this many playable).

Now, those of you who remember IoA (good gods I've actually been away long enough that I have to say that :cry: ) may be saying right now, that's not right, IoA had 16 fully playable scenarios when I last checked :hmm: .

this is because I'm (wait for it), redesigning the plot, artwork, maps, and scenarios, all of them*. The campaign will still follow the same basic structure, same characters, etc, but there are some improvements that I've made to dialogue (more depth added to characters), art, and gameplay, particularly to scenario 4, which now requires a massive 1199 lines of code (yes, you read that right), I just spent all of today updating it so that it now is how I had origionally envisioned it. Admit it, your curious what kind of scenario needs that many lines of code, aren't you... Well you'll have to download IoA and find out [/shameless_plug]

of course, the campaign still doesn't function properly, I can't get Reth's damn special ability to work :x , but hopefully I'll be able to sort that out in time. The reason I released despite this, is that scenario 4 has many many different ways of playing through it, and I'm not entirely sure that I've coded it right so that it works. I've tested it as best I can, but I can only do so much, so I'm hopeing that you guys'll tell me if anything that you expected to happen happened.

on top of that I'm also hoping to get a coupla people who can do dialogue**/balancing critique for me (because I am bad at dialogue, and terrible at balancing). I'm gonna sign up to the UMC SVN so that people who help in this way can do these changes on their own.

anyway, enjoy the campaign.

*of course, not all of them will need much change, just the ones which I had envisioned more complicated goals for/had enough dialogue to warrrent it.

**db0, if your listening, this is of course specifically aimed at you :D , as well as anyone else who volunteers

EDIT: of course, if you notice anything, anything at all that seems wrong (animations not functioning properly, yes I know, dialogue said by wrong person, dialogue seeming like part of the conversation is missing), please tell me so I can fix it asap.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Ranger M wrote:on top of that I'm also hoping to get a coupla people who can do dialogue**/balancing critique for me (because I am bad at dialogue, and terrible at balancing). I'm gonna sign up to the UMC SVN so that people who help in this way can do these changes on their own.
If you do indeed put it into the SVN, I would help you with dialogue. I would try to get on to the IRC channel #wesnoth-umc-dev in order to get in touch with Shadow_Master about that path.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

:augh: , ok, I just fixed Reth's ability problem, but in order for it to work, you have to start the campaign again, sorry. So, don't start the campaign untill you download 0.4.2 (after I upload it very soon)

the good news, is that after this you should never have to do this again, ever (hopefully)

@Turuk: already pm'ed him, will be uploading to SVN soon
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Ranger M wrote:@Turuk: already pm'ed him, will be uploading to SVN soon
Sounds good, if you are stuck on anything or need some help with your campaign, let me know. I just dropped the hint about IRC because it is the easiest way to get in contact with a large number of people who use SVN/could offer solutions to potential WML issues. ;)
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Turuk wrote:Sounds good, if you are stuck on anything or need some help with your campaign, let me know. I just dropped the hint about IRC because it is the easiest way to get in contact with a large number of people who use SVN/could offer solutions to potential WML issues. ;)
Thanks, feel free to take a look and give me any suggestions.

on another note, turns out the ability isn't fixed, just stuck on "on" (so Reth now does double damage, always, enjoy it whilst it lasts :wink: )
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

ok, now it's fixed in 0.4.3, and you shouldn't have to restart the campaign to get the fix (though if you do could someone please post about it)
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Also, for some reason, allot of the custom units in IoA don't appear to have working EXP bars when I play the campaign, does anybody else have this problem?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I got the same problem, I would imagine it is because you have the tag as advanceto= and not advances_to=. Here are your fixed unit files.
units.zip
(54.7 KiB) Downloaded 424 times
Also, a large number of your text is enlarged due to the symbols you previously used to denote whispering or actions being used as formatting.

And lastly, as I was looking through your files, I noticed that your textdomain is messed up completely. Different files use different textdomain based on where they are taken from, and some of the others (scenarios) do not have it at all or it is set up wrong. If you want your campaign to be translated, you may want to fix that as well.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Turuk wrote:I got the same problem, I would imagine it is because you have the tag as advanceto= and not advances_to=. Here are your fixed unit files.

Also, a large number of your text is enlarged due to the symbols you previously used to denote whispering or actions being used as formatting.
Thanks, for the text being enlarged, which symbols enlarge it? (I imagine that * does, as that's the one I used most, but are there any others? I can't remember if I used any others), I ask because I wrote a java program that replaces all occurences of certain strings in my entire IoA directory, and I can just set it replacing any symbols that may be having an effect with new syntax that doesn't, instead of manually going through all of my scneario files and replacing old syntax with new.
Turuk wrote:And lastly, as I was looking through your files, I noticed that your textdomain is messed up completely. Different files use different textdomain based on where they are taken from, and some of the others (scenarios) do not have it at all or it is set up wrong. If you want your campaign to be translated, you may want to fix that as well.
I'll look into this, I deliberately haven't submitted IoA to wescamp (I think that's the name of the list of campaigns to be translated) because the dialogue is incomplete and could be changed or completely re-written at any time, but I do plan on doing so eventually.