New Campaign: Return of the Legions (0.2.5)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

viorc

Post by viorc »

:D
Long awaited !
Looking forward to play it.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Fixed a few little things I had overlooked and uploaded 0.2.1.
tsr

Post by tsr »

At least using 1.1.9 on linux it's kinda broken, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

error display: could not open image ''
wesnoth: sdl_utils.cpp:138: surface scale_surface(const surface&, int, int): F?rs?kran "w != 0" falsk.
Avbruten (SIGABRT)
The 'F?rs?akran "w != 0" falsk.' part means in english something like: 'Assertion "w != 0" false'.

I've seen this error before while playing around with themes, but never in scenarios, I guess it has something to do with the raining effect I've read about.

Perhaps this is fixed in 1.1.10, we'll see tonight (after compilation)

/tsr
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

tsr wrote:At least using 1.1.9 on linux it's kinda broken, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

error display: could not open image ''
wesnoth: sdl_utils.cpp:138: surface scale_surface(const surface&, int, int): F?rs?kran "w != 0" falsk.
Avbruten (SIGABRT)
The 'F?rs?akran "w != 0" falsk.' part means in english something like: 'Assertion "w != 0" false'.
Odd. I just downloaded and tested it with a clean 1.1.9 install myself (on windows), and everything worked fine.
tsr wrote:I've seen this error before while playing around with themes, but never in scenarios, I guess it has something to do with the raining effect I've read about.

Perhaps this is fixed in 1.1.10, we'll see tonight (after compilation)
The rain stuff has been removed, but I do use custom themes. Not in the first scenario though.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Oh, damn, scenario/savefile names got messed up. 0.2.2 uploaded.

If this pace keeps up I'll get to 1.0 in no time. :D
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

Delighted to see the update to one of the most polished and innovative campaigns around. Two bugs to report.

One minor - when returning Rashdin to the road (scenario 2?) and his guard troops appear, they do so twice and some of the dialogue is repeated twice.

One major - one of my scouts picked up the 'holy wand' and Wesnoth crashed. I'll try to reproduce in a moment.

Edit: yep, reproduces; and not unit-dependent, either. Hmm.
Last edited by Ewan on September 21st, 2006, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ewan wrote:One minor - when returning Rakshin to the road (scenario 2?) and his guard troops appear, they do so twice and some of the dialogue is repeated twice.
Sounds odd. I'll have a look. I wouldn't mind getting a savefile and/or a replay of this. :?
Ewan wrote:One major - one of my scouts picked up the 'holy wand' and Wesnoth crashed. I'll try to reproduce in a moment.
Ah, yes. There's a bug in 1.1.9 that causes the wand to crash the game. 1.1.10 should be ok.

EDIT: Uploaded a version which should fix both of these (even on 1.1.9). No need to post replays and stuff, I think.
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

Next bug :) - slightly odd wml situation: when killing the necromancers in 'the escape,' if there is a unit atop the trap door, it is vanished by the not-quite-killed fleeing necromancer when that unit moves to the trapdoor.

Now, I can think of ways in which this could be useful, assuming that unit doesn't vanish from the recall list ;), but still a bug.
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

Played through to completion -

- 'the escape' is a tough scenario, even on 'easy' given the limited gold you have (and unlimited [?]. tough opponents!)
- but no more bugs to report
- and it's still impressive with respect to all of wml use, plot, and tactical interest. VERY nice - congrats.

Hope Chapter II follows swiftly.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ewan wrote: - 'the escape' is a tough scenario, even on 'easy' given the limited gold you have (and unlimited [?]. tough opponents!)
You actually tried fighting the necromancers and actually got units to the trapdoor? :shock: Wow. I'd never do that - just recruiting a few cannon fodder fighters to screen one rider to safety does the trick just nicely. This is why I thought this scenario was way too trivial, since the player doesn't really need to do anything but throw a few expendables into the fray to win. Heck, you don't need to do even that - you could just run and leave the humans to die just as well since you won't suffer any consequences until the later chapters. :D The scenario is supposed to be one where the player just has to delay an overwhelming (and yes, infinite) force only for a few turns before running, but it didn't turn out quite like that yet. In some testing session I simply just ran and didn't recruit anything, but one rider got away anyway. :P
Ewan wrote: - but no more bugs to report
- and it's still impressive with respect to all of wml use, plot, and tactical interest. VERY nice - congrats.
Thanks a lot. :D From the beginning I've been focusing so much on things other than tactical interest that it's nice to hear that it has worked out somewhat nevertheless.
Ewan wrote:Hope Chapter II follows swiftly.
Well, knowing my many false predictions about updating 0.1 during the last 10 months or so, I wouldn't exactly advice anyone to hold their breath in the coming weeks. :P Although I do have almost a few chapter II combat scenarios already somewhat finished and thanks to Smokemjags I also have the plot more or less ready for several scenarios after that, too. I also probably shouldn't wait until I have chapter II ready before releasing the next major version, so that could speed things up a bit.
Ewan

Post by Ewan »

zookeeper wrote:
Ewan wrote: - 'the escape' is a tough scenario, even on 'easy' given the limited gold you have (and unlimited [?]. tough opponents!)
You actually tried fighting the necromancers and actually got units to the trapdoor? :shock: Wow. I'd never do that - just recruiting a few cannon fodder fighters to screen one rider to safety does the trick just nicely.
Well, partly a bad habit of mine - fighting when maybe I shouldn't - and partly I wanted, the xp, and partly I wanted to make sure that all the humans survived, in case that bought me more help along the way :).

Killing the necromancer was actually pretty easy with use of the belt of frenzy I had found, but I got the message when even after both were down, the levelled undead kept coming... by that time, though, I was well into negative cash to cover the retreat, so it got briefly hairy.. ..thankfully, I managed to level a gravely wounded unit into a sylph, and she helped a lot 8)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ewan wrote:Well, partly a bad habit of mine - fighting when maybe I shouldn't - and partly I wanted, the xp, and partly I wanted to make sure that all the humans survived, in case that bought me more help along the way :).
Perhaps it should be made more clear that just one rider needs to get away.
Ewan wrote:Killing the necromancer was actually pretty easy with use of the belt of frenzy I had found, but I got the message when even after both were down, the levelled undead kept coming... by that time, though, I was well into negative cash to cover the retreat, so it got briefly hairy.. ..thankfully, I managed to level a gravely wounded unit into a sylph, and she helped a lot 8)
I assume you lost quite a few units though (not just cannon fodder) doing that? I guess I should clarify it a bit in the dialogue that there's no need to actually fight the undead, just screen one rider to safety. However, doing just this is ridiculously easy currently, so I should rebalance the scenario somehow.

Good that you reminded me about the belt though, I still haven't done and added any item graphics for it.
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Downloaded it yesterday, completed it.

And I love what you did with it, I liked it from the moment I saw the coloured title, and then the moving book
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
kilder
Translator

Post by kilder »

Bug report: (I've checked the entire thread and I think it hasn't been posted)

When Nelayin AMLAs as an initiate, neither the more skilled with bow/sword options make any difference. However, the magic fireballs DO appear if you select that option (Wesnoth 1.10, I just downloaded the campaign yesterday)

I have a saved game, if needed.

Great campaign, by the way. I've just played the first two scenarios and they show promise ;)

Keep up the good work!

EDIT: when I finished the second scenario, the silver mage says twice 'This concludes our cooperation, elf'' or something like that. Maybe it's important to say that I killed the orc by myself and I didn't call the reinforcements.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

kilder wrote:Bug report: (I've checked the entire thread and I think it hasn't been posted)

When Nelayin AMLAs as an initiate, neither the more skilled with bow/sword options make any difference. However, the magic fireballs DO appear if you select that option (Wesnoth 1.10, I just downloaded the campaign yesterday)

I have a saved game, if needed.
I wouldn't mind having a savefile (preferably both just before and just after AMLA'ing), since I really can't reproduce that at all - the AMLAs seem to work just fine here. :?
kilder wrote:Great campaign, by the way. I've just played the first two scenarios and they show promise ;)

Keep up the good work!
Will try. :)
kilder wrote:EDIT: when I finished the second scenario, the silver mage says twice 'This concludes our cooperation, elf'' or something like that. Maybe it's important to say that I killed the orc by myself and I didn't call the reinforcements.
Yeah, it seems that that line is repeated twice only when you kill the orc without the reinforcements having arrived yet. Already fixed, will be in the next minor update when I do one (probably in the coming days).