Docks & Ships

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GregorR

Post by GregorR »

Note to self: Never post campaign ideas to the BfW forums. :roll:
Uppi

Post by Uppi »

unsung wrote:the explosion wouyld merely break th etread. it would still fuction unless part was pule doff the wheels or the beak was massive.

u.s. infantry can take one down yes, as can any superpower, but other infantry......

and tanks are made ot work in groups. deploying one alone is considered foolish.
No. A tank without support is actually quite vulnerable on not so open terrain. Even in open terrain a tank might just drive right over some dug in infantry and get killed form behind. Thats why tanks are usually supported by light vehicles and infantry.

And if a group of tanks charged in a forest or a city infested with heavy infantry that are armed with modern anti-tank weapons, they're doomed.

Of course in an up front battle the tank wins every time, because that's what they're designed for.
unsung

Post by unsung »

if they hav eanti tank weapons yes.
he said grenades, which won't immbilize them or even do any damage.

the average infantry squad is never able to take a take with anti tank weapons. no, rpgs aren't effective either. the crew will just get out, shoo tyou, get picked up, an dthe tank'll be salvaged. unless you set o f the ammo.

I'm done with this argument until this thread has n purpose anymore. or until someone makes an argument in off topic.

GregorR: don't worry, I usuallystay in offtopic and usuallly will wait until the old subject i sdead before I hijack your thread.

:roll:
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

GregorR wrote:Note to self: Never post campaign ideas to the BfW forums. :roll:
Campaign ideas are fine, it's campaign ideas that are listed on the Frequently Proposed Ideas (i.e. banned ideas) list that are not accepted well...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
GregorR

Post by GregorR »

turin wrote:
GregorR wrote:Note to self: Never post campaign ideas to the BfW forums. :roll:
Campaign ideas are fine, it's campaign ideas that are listed on the Frequently Proposed Ideas (i.e. banned ideas) list that are not accepted well...
The very fact that it's frequently asked means there are people who will like it. I'm not trying to make it a regular unit, I'm trying to balance a campaign I'm making. Thanks to the design of BfW, I can add this unit without changing any code :D

If I don't add something like ships, the only enemies for mermen at sea are flying units and nagas, which is silly. And if I force the mermen onto land to do all battle ... well, that's even worse. I can't have them fighting nagas on every level, especially since it defeats the plot of my campaign, and I can't have mermen fight on land on every level, because that's ludicrous.

Anyway, I'm complaining about the fact that this thread has turned into an argument over whether it's unrealistic for mermen to damage ships.

Let me repeat that with emphasis.

This thread has turned into an argument over whether it's unrealistic for mermen to damage ships.

Why yes! Yes it is! It's unrealistic for mermen to do anything because they don't exist. The metaphore to tanks and infantry makes no sense because tanks and infantrymen exist.

Feel free to suggest other campaign balancing though. What units balance mermen at sea other than nagas? Are mermen just allowed to be happy and seaborne and generally war-free? I'm open to suggestions, but nothing seems to work as well as ships as a threat to mermen. Maybe some sort of water mage ... but not at the first level, and not as the only unit.[/i]
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

GregorR wrote:This thread has turned into an argument over whether it's unrealistic for mermen to damage ships.

Why yes! Yes it is! It's unrealistic for mermen to do anything because they don't exist. The metaphore to tanks and infantry makes no sense because tanks and infantrymen exist.
This is just an illogical argument. Yes, merman don't exist, but the point is that if they did, they'd still have to follow the laws of physics. So, imagine they do. What consequences would that have? Would it suddenly allow a tiny spear to penetrate half a foot of wood? I don't think so. Thus, it still makes sense to argue about the realisticness of the situation.

Or, to put it another way: WINR b WIBOR. Wesnoth is not realistic, but Wesnoth is based on reality.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

Anything goes in user campaigns. (except for whore war, thankfully)
He's not trying to get ships in the game...
...so go ahead and develop any of the FPIs that you want.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Who says that when mermen attack a ship, they're trying to stab holes into the hull with their spears? They can throw the spears to damage the sails or the crew, climb on the deck to fight and break things, or whatever. Perhaps a mermen unit would then have to represent a larger group of individuals, but AFAIK it's not set in stone whether one Wesnoth unit represents an individual or a group. And if you have a few dozen mermen focusing their stabbing on a spot on your ships bottom, I think there'd be some damage soon enough. And a mermen can hardly sink a ship in the game in 1-2 turns, so even the fact that sinking due to a small hole takes a while is taken into account.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Not to forget, WINR. Beside that, they could simply block the rudder and make the ship run into too shallow parts or onto rocks.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

In FtF, naga attack ships, although the objective is blockade running, not fighting. Ships and living aquatic units can be in the same scenario this way (although some fighting goes on, ZOC is key to beating the turn limit, at least in a revised version that will be in the next release).
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Liminiality2

Post by Liminiality2 »

ok first of all

why cant we just give a ship high Pierce resistance and a lot of hp?

second:

with tanks: if an infantry man can get on top of one (perhaps shooting out the treads would help) and then getting the tank hatch open, he only needs one grenade to take out an entire tank! drop the grenade in and close the hatch and run! ta da!
NO FOG is certain - Elvish Pillager
Campaign: Revenge of the Elves http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11477
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

third: this thread is over 8 months old.
kiet

Post by kiet »

second:

with tanks: if an infantry man can get on top of one (perhaps shooting out the treads would help) and then getting the tank hatch open, he only needs one grenade to take out an entire tank! drop the grenade in and close the hatch and run! ta da!
I don´t really think it´s that simple.
What if the hatch is sealed?
First of all,if you drop the grenade in the hatch(if you manage to open the hatch) it will result of following.
1.The grenade explode instanty(you held it a bit too long),you die along with the tank.
2.You throw it in fast,but the soldiers inside throw it out again,when you run out of grenades,you get shot by them.
3.You throw the grenade in the hatch and seal the hatch(many ways) but you still die by the explosion.

All of the options above results in that you die,sad but true :D

PS:If someone want to continue the talk about the tanks,I suggest you starting a thread in the off topic. :wink: