praise for the griffon's tale

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ave

praise for the griffon's tale

Post by Ave »

Hmm, it was a nice piece. Not overly hard, and starting out with peaceful games then going into more serious fights was a nice and unique bit among the campaigns.
Sadly it isn't finished...
King Arthur

Post by King Arthur »

I don't know why this campaign is so popular, maybe because it's the first in the list.
"Waes-hael! for Lord and Dame! O! merry be their Dole; Drink-hael! in Jesu's name, And fill the tawny bowl."
King Arthur
Ave

Post by Ave »

Not really.
I played a few others before.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

King Arthur wrote:I don't know why this campaign is so popular, maybe because it's the first in the list.
What do you mean by popular? Download count?

If so, yes, that is the sole reason. Its because its been there the longest, so it has gotten many more downloads than other, better campaigns.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I think its age and position at the top of the list do add to its high number of downloads, but I think it is also popular becuase it stands out from a lot of other wesnoth campaigns. The idea of basing an entire campaign around a culture of sentient gryphons is really original, and streches the boundaries of the Wesnoth universe. And it has a good title, clearly indicating what the campaign is about.

Right now campaigns are listed by the time they were uploaded. As we get more and more submissions should be change how the are sorted. Would sorting alphabetaically help? Would sorting by download count help draw attention to the more downloaded/popular campaigns? Conversely sorting by download count would also show which campaigns have just been posted, or are newer.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think sorting by download count would have the effect of making people download only those with the highest counts, making it really hard to get a new campaign popular.

IMHO, alphabetical is a good way to do it. (And this isn't because it would benefit me - it wouldn't. My campaigns all start with S. :P )
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

Last updated. New and actively maintained campaigns are at the top, and if they grow stale they fall down to the bottom.

Edit: besides, A Gryphon's Tale would still be at the top with alphabetical [smilie]
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
superabo

Post by superabo »

turin wrote:
King Arthur wrote:I don't know why this campaign is so popular, maybe because it's the first in the list.
What do you mean by popular? Download count?

If so, yes, that is the sole reason. Its because its been there the longest, so it has gotten many more downloads than other, better campaigns.
Which campaigns do you consider better? I'd like to download some.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Which campaigns are "better" ? It depends on who you ask. If I start listing some, then I'll probably offend those who I forget to mention. A few months back one user tried rating all the campaigns and providing short reviews.

I haven't played other campaigns for a long time, but I remember "The South Guard" was great for new players, and I enjoyed "Saving Elensfar" and "The Gryphon's Tale".
Big Bad Joe

Post by Big Bad Joe »

I am the user... The thread is named "My brief ranking of nearly all campaigns" :lol:
Just bored..
Ave

Post by Ave »

Hmm, a recent version of the campaign (or wesnoth) made this campaign broken.

I fixed [movement cost] to [movement_cost] in the zolpha units.
I also found a loose " in one of the scenario files (orcish prison)

But i couldn't find the problem with another scenario file (the trainer).

Anyone?
claus

Post by claus »

Ave wrote:But i couldn't find the problem with another scenario file (the trainer).
The #endif five lines after [scenario] looks wrong (I can not see a #ifdef before it) and should be deleted. Not sure if that is all.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

These were the changes I made to the campaign:
  • scenarios/Orcish_Prison.cfg 498: add missing "
    scenarios/The_Trainer.cfg 16: remove extra #endif
    Zolpha and Pizolpha unit files: change [movement cost] to [movement_cost] and [/movement_cost] to [/movement_cost]
as well as the diff

Code: Select all

diff -ur campaigns.orig/Gryphon_Tale.cfg campaigns/Gryphon_Tale.cfg
--- campaigns.orig/Gryphon_Tale.cfg     Tue Jun 21 14:44:46 2005
+++ campaigns/Gryphon_Tale.cfg  Mon Jun 27 22:17:08 2005
@@ -15,6 +15,14 @@
        first_scenario=capture_the_flag
 [/campaign]

+# by putting this line outside the #ifdef it can load the gryphon image
+# for the campaign description
+[binary_path]
+path=data/campaigns/Gryphon_Tale/
+[/binary_path] 
+
+#ifdef CAMPAIGN_GRYPHON_TALE
+
 [+units]
 {@campaigns/Gryphon_Tale/units} 
                                                                                                                                                             @@ -45,14 +53,6 @@

[/units]

-# by putting this line outside the #ifdef it can load the gryphon image
-# for the campaign description
-[binary_path]
-path=data/campaigns/Gryphon_Tale/
-[/binary_path] 
-
-
-#ifdef CAMPAIGN_GRYPHON_TALE

#define GRYPHONMAP NAME
        map_data="{@campaigns/Gryphon_Tale/maps/{NAME}}"                        
@@ -64,4 +64,4 @@

{@campaigns/Gryphon_Tale/images}

-#endif
\ No newline at end of file
+#endif
This works fine for scenario 1, but scenario 2 finishes with a game over message before the first turn starts. Looks like the end level exception is triggered. Hopefully ringcaat will sort out the password and upload a fixed campaign soon: see http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6593
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
Ave

Post by Ave »

Great, thanks.

This 'movement cost' tag is flawed in many of the campaigns.
Guess it is a recent change in the engine.
Ave

Post by Ave »

Ok, after the obvious bugs fixed, this campaign sucks in the second scenario. It is supposed to recall Miolu, but it isn't recalled for some reason, this leads to immediate defeat.
I've looked at the code, but couldn't find the problem.
Since this campaign worked before the big WML changes, i'm curious what's the problem.

Anyone?