New to wesnoth

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Crono

New to wesnoth

Post by Crono »

Ok well, hello everyone

i am real new to Wesnoth, and i have played a little a decided i like it...though, i have a few questions about the map editor..or editing in general

How do i place items on my map?

Are there neutral creatures?..like i can place on my map....but are not contorlled by players..that can guard such items?

Also, is there a type of terrin that is unpassable by all units?...if i maby wanted to foce units to go in 1 direction or for defence..or what have you.
NightBlade

Post by NightBlade »

there are neutral creatures, but you cant use them in multiplayer and they are in campaign editor(i think) not in map editor and the unpassable terrain is cave wall.
You cannot ride a roller coaster if you are under 4 feet tall unless you are older than 16 years old.
Crono

Post by Crono »

where do i get campaign editor?..all that came with it was wesnoth and mapeditor
NightBlade

Post by NightBlade »

i know there is one for Mac, but im a windows user so im not sure :P
You cannot ride a roller coaster if you are under 4 feet tall unless you are older than 16 years old.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Yes, I would also like to know how to make campaigns... I use Windows.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Dan wrote:Yes, I would also like to know how to make campaigns... I use Windows.
Whenever the Generic Layout is updated for 0.9.2 (it hasn't been yet), it will make a very good template.

That, and learn WML by looking on the wiki reference ( http://wesnoth.slack.it/?ReferenceWML ) and by dissecting other campaigns, preferably simpler ones.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Dan

Post by Dan »

Sounds a bit complicated.

Do you know if they are gonna release a Campaign Editor or something of the sort when they make V. 1? Sorta like the Map Editor.
Crono

Post by Crono »

i'm on windows too...and there isn't much i can do in the way of editing... :(
Elvish Leader

Post by Elvish Leader »

I copy some simple scenario file from a campaigns and edit it. That way I can work without a campaign editor. But it would be really helpful if a campaign editor for Windows be released
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

i use windoze too and i dont cry, its not so hard, you just need to learn WML,
if you know any other programing language it will help(that language can be hight level for example delphi), dont cry, GO LEARN!
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

There is a scenario editor provided with your OS (notepad probably for M$ users). There's no need to ship an extra one with wesnoth :D. If you want a graphical editor, then there's the map editor for you. Yes, that just builds maps. Because WML (Wesnoth Markup Language), which drives all the scenario logic is just too flexible to be simply given a GUI. There's so much more than just plopping monsters on the map, and to do that you just need a few lines of WML anyway.

However, there are a lot of user-provided scenarios and campaigns where you can look at the WML and borrow ideas, and a lot of helpful people on the forum. If you want to learn how to make a scenario with a map and some neutral monsters and items, it really isn't that hard and has been done before. Tell someone your idea and let them give you pointers, if you're prepared to spend some time and effort.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Re: New to wesnoth

Post by Rhuvaen »

Actually, I guess I can be more helpful than in the post above. :wink:
Crono wrote:How do i place items on my map?
A "map" is just the text data that you get when you use the map editor, for instance:

Code: Select all

sssWccwcsssWWWW
WWWsswDschiIn\D
WWWsPnnnGhGfMc1
WWWsPnccGfmhGnc
WWWsPw2\MIGhGsn
Now with that you can already have MP games, but... scenarios are a different thing.

A scenario follows a scripted logic written in WML. Here's a link to the wiki that explains it all. No need to repeat it all in this post.
Crono wrote:Are there neutral creatures?..like i can place on my map....but are not contorlled by players..that can guard such items?
Units (representing creatures) always need to belong to a side. A side can only be ally or enemy to other sides. A neutral side would probably be an enemy side with low aggression setttings. Find out more in the wiki here on sides and here on units.
Crono wrote:Also, is there a type of terrin that is unpassable by all units?...if i maby wanted to foce units to go in 1 direction or for defence..or what have you.
Yes, there's two: cave wall (terrain letter "W", in the map editor it's completely black), and shroud (a kind of void terrain, letter is just a space " ", not available from the map editor). They are used in many MP maps.
Dan

Post by Dan »

All I know is a bit of HTML.
I'll try to learn WML, I guess.
One of the reasons I hesitate to learn this is because of the coding and stuff, I always think that I will mess up my Wesnoth.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Dan wrote:One of the reasons I hesitate to learn this is because of the coding and stuff, I always think that I will mess up my Wesnoth.
Yeah well, messed up WML can stop BfW from starting up at this moment (the devs are going to change that). But if that happens, just move your scenario file somewhere outside of the directories where Wesnoth looks for them, and you'll be fine. You can't mess up the game unless you have the C++ source code, a compiler, and a lot of technical knowledge :).
Dan

Post by Dan »

I see.
Then I guess I'll give it a whirl. ^^