Advanced Tutorial: The South Guard

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

aelius

Advanced Tutorial: The South Guard

Post by aelius »

Now that school is over, I have some free time. Originally I had intended for the South Guard to be a very easy campaign for new players, and I'm still committed to that vision.

To that end, I've reworked the first scenario into a sort of advanced tutorial. I'd really appreciate it if a couple of people would take a look at just the first scenario (Born to the Banner) on Civilian difficulty and let me know if that sort of dialogue is helpful to a new player. If it is, then I can work through the rest of it and hopefully turn it into a good advanced tutorial.

So go download 0.8.5 and check it out!
- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Cool...if people really like it, we may consider it for inclusion into the official distribution. Not necessarily for 1.0, mainly because our translators wouldn't be able to translate it in time, but at some point. We really need a good, fun tutorial campaign.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Attila

Post by Attila »

Dave wrote:Cool...if people really like it, we may consider it for inclusion into the official distribution. Not necessarily for 1.0, mainly because our translators wouldn't be able to translate it in time, but at some point. We really need a good, fun tutorial campaign.

David
I like the current tutorial, both because it ties into the game as a whole, and because it is very concise and doesn't take a lot of time. The South Guard does take a lot of time, but it isn't particuarlly hard. I really like the redone first scenario. It makes it feel a lot like a tutorial and less like a beginners campaign. The only problem is that while the current tutorial focuses on elves, the South Guard only focuses on humans.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

You could also say that the South Guard focuses on humans, while the current tutorial focuses on only elves. ;)

Why does it matter which race the tutorial is focused on, as long as it teaches basic tactics? After all, there are mainline campaigns that use all the different races except Drakes and Dwarves (unless you count HttT as using dwarves, which personally I don't.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

0.8.5 breaks wesnoth-0.9.2: please remove one of the '*' characters in the difficulty selection (currently both Medium and Hard are selected).

In addition, the '+' signs in the image names are now special, please quote image names if they contain '+', eg. "neutral-footpad+female-attack1.png".

Finally, please add a blank line to the end of the file to ensure the last nonblank line has a final newline. This is needed for 0.9.2+cvs at present.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.