Life of Mechzen - Single Player Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Vilebeggar

Re: Life of Mechzen - Single Player Campaign

Post by Vilebeggar »

SexyPringles wrote: September 29th, 2020, 10:20 am Scenario Passing the Ford
Spoiler:
Whos Denverld?
Competitive Wesnoth. For the fans by the fans.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Vilebeggar wrote: September 29th, 2020, 5:43 pm Whos Denverld?
Lord of Tath (or Tat as you often name him).
SexyPringles

Post by SexyPringles »

Vilebeggar wrote: September 29th, 2020, 5:43 pm
SexyPringles wrote: September 29th, 2020, 10:20 am Scenario Passing the Ford
Spoiler:
Whos Denverld?

Yeah sorry didn't remember his name very well but i meant the Lord of Tath one of the main characters
Hippity Hoppity, this is my property:Tale of Thunedain
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

Update comming on the weekend.
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

I have returned and patched all of the problems noted above, and i think there wont be any more gameplay/coding problems from now on. Now a thing i would like from you guys do, is tell me what should i do to balance the battle levels that you think are incredibly hard or impossible, if you found any of them so. This means how much gold enemy/own sides should have, maybe i should add some more loyal units etc. Also note that hard mode is still not fully tested and might be unplayable.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

LoM on hard:
Wreckoning on Tath
Is there some way to actually distract the guard? So far I had to wait for the Ogres and Nagas get close before I break in and then run away with lots of luck.

A New Path
As I pointed out, the trolls have too much gold to make it beatable. I reduced it by about 200 and managed to beat it.

Learning the Aspects
Manageable.

Oh Brother
Also manageable. But I have to point out that I killed the elvish Lich instantly because the elvish keep was very very suspicious.

An Old Guest
Depening on how the first Orcs in the ambush hit, you might die very early.
Beyond that, the scenario is manageable, albeit you might need multiple attempts to figure out how to not be overrun.

The River of Sorrow
The first part is okay. Hard, but okay. The second part is brutal, starting with (as I wrote somewhere here before) there being 8 turns until the scenario ends and your turns run out, but your leader needs at least 9 or 10 turns to move to the signpost. I was lucky that I was using my leader to push a bit towards the other side of the river, otherwise I'd have had to reload to win. Keeping the path open for my leader was really hard as well and required some sacrifices.

To the Mountains
Just...no. 1000 gold on the side of the enemies, 500 on yours, 150 for the player. You just get mowed down, and even if you survive for a while, your ally dies before you read them. All my high-level loyals died there to let me accidentally exploit the bug to advance to the next scenario.
Maybe give the play 200-300 more gold and it might be manageable.

Forest of Rage
Possible to win if you sneak to the southern elves. Really close timewise.

Fiery Peak
Nope. Just nope. 300 gold (with carryover) for me, 700 upfront for them, with 4 recruits per turn on top of that? Drakes are not the kind of race you can just withstand. Either give me lots of gold or some insane amount of villages so I can compete with them when they burn themselves out.
Attachments
LoM-Oh Brother replay.gz
(65.97 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
LoM-An Old Guest replay.gz
(41.56 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
LoM-The River of Sorrow replay.gz
(87.11 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
LoM-To the Mountains replay.gz
(64.34 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
LoM-Forest of Rage replay.gz
(57.13 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
LoM-The Fiery Peak Turn 13.gz
(72.7 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

Konrad2 wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 6:51 am LoM on hard:
Wreckoning on Tath
Is there some way to actually distract the guard? So far I had to wait for the Ogres and Nagas get close before I break in and then run away with lots of luck.
Yes that is the only way, but there is a secret door just behind the castle that will teleport you straight to the market
A New Path
As I pointed out, the trolls have too much gold to make it beatable. I reduced it by about 200 and managed to beat it.
Reduced the Hard mode gold of the trolls from 500 to 400.
Oh Brother
Also manageable. But I have to point out that I killed the elvish Lich instantly because the elvish keep was very very suspicious.
I will be making many changes in the code so that the lich reincarnates somewhere far away from the players reach and maybe change the map a bit.
An Old Guest
Depening on how the first Orcs in the ambush hit, you might die very early.
Beyond that, the scenario is manageable, albeit you might need multiple attempts to figure out how to not be overrun.
Okay then no change.
The River of Sorrow
The first part is okay. Hard, but okay. The second part is brutal, starting with (as I wrote somewhere here before) there being 8 turns until the scenario ends and your turns run out, but your leader needs at least 9 or 10 turns to move to the signpost. I was lucky that I was using my leader to push a bit towards the other side of the river, otherwise I'd have had to reload to win. Keeping the path open for my leader was really hard as well and required some sacrifices.
I increased the turn cap from 25 to 30 and gave the 2 allies more gold and income, that should fix it.
To the Mountains
Just...no. 1000 gold on the side of the enemies, 500 on yours, 150 for the player. You just get mowed down, and even if you survive for a while, your ally dies before you read them. All my high-level loyals died there to let me accidentally exploit the bug to advance to the next scenario.
Maybe give the play 200-300 more gold and it might be manageable.
So i just gave the player side 100 extra gold on hard mode and the ally dwarf 500 gold and 20 income on hard mode. Should run smoothly.
Forest of Rage
Possible to win if you sneak to the southern elves. Really close timewise.
Not changing anything here
Fiery Peak
Nope. Just nope. 300 gold (with carryover) for me, 700 upfront for them, with 4 recruits per turn on top of that? Drakes are not the kind of race you can just withstand. Either give me lots of gold or some insane amount of villages so I can compete with them when they burn themselves out.
Just gave player 100 more gold from 200 before, also keep in mind that at this point you should have at least 4 Darkin Mages who have ice attacks and a 40 dmg arcane blast that should easily wipe out any drake. I had a fear that this scenario would be too easy at first because of this fact and that theres a lot of snow tiles.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Vilebeggar wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 8:27 am Just gave player 100 more gold from 200 before, also keep in mind that at this point you should have at least 4 Darkin Mages who have ice attacks and a 40 dmg arcane blast that should easily wipe out any drake. I had a fear that this scenario would be too easy at first because of this fact and that theres a lot of snow tiles.
I'd like to remind you that there Drakes do have melee attacks (like 14-3 Drake Warrior), and that 20% defense on snow doesn't matter against magic attacks. On top of that, that's only 10% less of defense for Drakes. So, sure, it's a factor, but for drakes it's a very small factor. (FTR, I'll test it first, so take with with a couple grains of salt.)

EDIT:

Code: Select all

The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
    ~Wesnoth1.14/data/add-ons/Life_of_Mechzen/_main.cfg

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Unexpected characters after variable name (expected , or =)
    at ~add-ons/Life_of_Mechzen/scenarios/113_The_Fiery_Peak.cfg:95
        included from ~add-ons/Life_of_Mechzen/_main.cfg:36
Since your update multiple of my units don't load (in LoM). They are just missing on the map.
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

A missing = crashed everything but its fixed now, this will be the last update for this week, i will continue the patching next sunday.
Konrad2 wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 2:07 pm
I'd like to remind you that there Drakes do have melee attacks (like 14-3 Drake Warrior), and that 20% defense on snow doesn't matter against magic attacks. On top of that, that's only 10% less of defense for Drakes. So, sure, it's a factor, but for drakes it's a very small factor. (FTR, I'll test it first, so take with with a couple grains of salt.)
I don't encourage anyone to play on hard mode if they want to get the best experience from this campaign, but if they do, well its called hard mode for a reason isnt it?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Vilebeggar wrote: October 3rd, 2020, 5:17 pm I don't encourage anyone to play on hard mode if they want to get the best experience from this campaign, but if they do, well its called hard mode for a reason isnt it?
It's called hard mode because it's supposed to be hard compared to the 'normal' of the campaign, not because it's supposed to be unplayable.
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

In River of Sorrow (with latest campaign version), you should replace Purple Human or Orcish side, because there are multiple same color one.

I'm not sure that Arkena the Yak talks normal languange, it makes me not sense.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Both the Yak and the Dwarvish Scout demand upkeep.

EDIT:
The dwarvish thunderers demand upkeep as well.
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

Konrad2 wrote: October 7th, 2020, 9:54 am Both the Yak and the Dwarvish Scout demand upkeep.

EDIT:
The dwarvish thunderers demand upkeep as well.
Wait so {IS_LOYAL} doesnt actually make units loyal in game ? It just gives them a loyal checkmark uppon their character?
Pilauli

Post by Pilauli »

To quote from image-utils.cfg (at data/core/macros):

#define IS_LOYAL
    # Embed this into a unit declaration to add a loyalty icon to the unit.
    overlays="misc/loyal-icon.png"
#enddef
Nothing in there about the trait or the upkeep. To give them the loyal trait, you need to write it with their other traits:

[modifications]
    {TRAIT_LOYAL}
    {TRAIT_STRONG}   # or whatever
[/modifications]
I think that automatically gives them the loyal icon over their health bar anyway, so you might not need to also write {IS_LOYAL}.

There are also a couple of macros to create loyal units, which you can find in the unit-utils.cfg file, once again at data/core/macros/. For example, NAMED_LOYAL_UNIT SIDE TYPE X Y ID_STRING NAME_STRING.
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

Ok thats another thing in the to do list.