The Young Khan (1.14 Dunefolk Campaign) NEW SERVER VERSION: Up to Scenario 12 now!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CalculusKing

The Young Khan (1.14 Dunefolk Campaign) NEW SERVER VERSION: Up to Scenario 12 now!

Post by CalculusKing »

NOTE: I go into great detail on the campaign below, but the TLDR is that it is a Dunefolk campaign with the first few scenarios done. I would greatly appreciate playtesting and advice on polishing the first few scenarios; at this stage. The plot below is provided for reference purposes; all necessary exposition is done briefly one-piece-at-a-time in-game.

IMPORTANT: The first post's version of the campaign is not being updated at this time. Newer versions are posted later on in the thread.

This is a campaign that I've had cooking for over a year. Now I've finally got the free time and motivation to take another crack at it! (motivation provided by winning UtBS on nightmare, which I was able to do after Field of Glory II finally helped me git gud at positional play and zone of control shenanigans)

The primary goal of this campaign is to engage in worldbuilding of the following times and places:
1. The Sandy Wastes in general (see the worldmap of The South Guard)
2. The period immediately following the final collapse of the Gerardine Dynasty in 673 YW with the death of the childless Konrad II. (I decided that he fell in a river on the way back from a tournament in Westin and drowned, much like how Frederick Barbarossa of the Holy Roman Empire passed away)

Backstory (feel free to skip to playtesting before reading this)
Spoiler:
First Act:
Spoiler:
EDIT: Grammar, spelling
Attachments
The_Young_Khan.zip
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 478 times
Last edited by CalculusKing on June 11th, 2019, 2:15 pm, edited 15 times in total.
CalculusKing

Re: The Young Khan (1.14 Dunefolk Campaign)

Post by CalculusKing »

I should draw particular attention to my map for scenario 5. It is an extremely detailed model of an evil dwarf metropolis, with room for farms, a vast rail network, a fortress, and a vast space taken up by scaffolded chasms where much mining goes on.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Cool, nice start and great writing! :D

If you plan to add a hard difficulty, in the second scenario the enemies could probably use more gold, and in the third scenario the player's gold could be reduced (I started with 330 gold vs. the enemies' 240; I wouldn't increase the enemy gold too much or the scenario might become annoying).

In the third scenario, I found it a bit tedious to fight against all the guardsmen with only access to blade/pierce/impact damage which they're really resistant to. Would be nice if we could recruit naffats (the fire units, whatever they are called nowadays) so we could give those guardsmen a "warm" welcome :whistle:

Looking forward to seeing the other scenarios!
Attachments
TYK-Demons and Dirtgrubbers replay.gz
Scenario 3
(27.69 KiB) Downloaded 546 times
TYK-Rescuing The Survivors replay.gz
Scenario 2 (the first battle scenario)
(15.87 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
CalculusKing

Post by CalculusKing »

I've tied the recruitment of burners in scenario 3 to an event that the player should fire before they spend all of their gold. Feel free to sate your deepest pyromaniac desires.
Attachments
03_Demons_And_Dirtgrubbers.cfg
(12.1 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
CalculusKing

Post by CalculusKing »

New version of scenario 3: fixed a bug that caused a message not to display.
Attachments
03_Demons_And_Dirtgrubbers.cfg
(12.14 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
CalculusKing

Post by CalculusKing »

New version of campaign:
- Scenario 4 added
- Scenario 3 polished some more
- Mood-fitting music chosen for all four scenarios
- Bug that caused campaign not to have an icon in campaign selection menu is fixed
Attachments
The_Young_Khan.zip
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 452 times
CalculusKing

Post by CalculusKing »

TODO:
- Tweak gold and income amounts for first four scenarios.
- Finish scenario 5
- Finish map for scenario 6
CalculusKing

Post by CalculusKing »

NEW VERSION with Scenario 5:
-Added Scenario 5, a battle royale inside a massive evil dwarvish city
-tweaked gold amounts for some other scenarios
Attachments
The_Young_Khan.zip
(1.89 MiB) Downloaded 464 times
CalculusKing

Post by CalculusKing »

Scenario 5 is extremely detailed and utterly crazy. You fight alongside rebelling slaves against 3 weak dwarvish commanders and their rather strong leader, the Priest-King: who wields not only evil dwarves, but undead and even three magically brainwashed trolls. There's a secret bonus objective as well, with a small reward.
CalculusKing

Re: The Young Khan (1.14 Dunefolk Campaign) NEW SCENARIO

Post by CalculusKing »

A couple comments on my production of scenarios:
- The extremely limited and somewhat buggy scenario editing available in 1.14 is nonetheless a lifesaver: I can get the x-y coords of any area needed printed to a cfg file. Likewise for the WML for village control or the placement of various objects.
- Notepad++ is love. Notepad++ is life.
- If you have a single missing double-quote, you can search for it by creating a seperate file and copy-pasting everything there. Then perform a binary search. Select half the lines, CTRL-C it, then delete it and count the number of parentheses with the find function. If it is even, CTRL-A, CTRL-C and begin again. If odd, keep the file as is and begin again. Eventually, you will isolate the the line missing a quote.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

If you are missing a double quote, it is immediately obvious from syntax highlighting.
CalculusKing

Post by CalculusKing »

Act I is now complete. Act II is going to concern the ongoing chaos in Wesnoth. Scenario 6 will probably be an ambush by vengeful saurians at night-time. Scenario 7 will be a battle against the South Guard. Scenario 8 will probably be a separate battle to take Westin. I will probably reserve Scenario 9 for exposition only.

TODO:
-balance the first act
-figure out plotline for second act
-create scenario 6
-maybe get better placeholder art (I've bookmarked a ton of potentially useful threads, but I still need to figure out a lot)
CalculusKing

Post by CalculusKing »

Wait...is there WML syntax highlighting? Or should I just use other languages' highlighting?
CalculusKing

Post by CalculusKing »

Thank you. This is wonderful.