Napoleon project

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sagez

Re: Napoleon project

Post by Sagez »

Arise, arise from the dead! Because this project is too good to be forgotten!

Check the campaign out. It's so good.
Eastern Europe at War Co-Creator viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34418
"Neptune has finally wed Venus - even Gods can't screw around forever." L-F Céline
saukengines

Post by saukengines »

I am getting the same bug as a couple other of the posters here

'Unknown unit: NW_German_Brigadier'

I looked and line 165 is correct, but I still get the error message. Has anyone found a fix? This is my favorite Wesnoth campaign, and I can't wait to play more of it.
nenau

Post by nenau »

Hi,

You have to edit the files in Napoleonic_Wars/scenarios. Find the occurences of

Code: Select all

NW_German_Brigadier
and replace it by

NW_Prussian_Brigadier
It should work if you have the same version as me.

You may get again the same problem later with some "Chasseurs" guys or stuff like that. The goal is to find the right name somewhere in Napoleonic_Wars/units.

Anyway, I really hope we'll get an update of this add-on some day...
sdmr

Post by sdmr »

Hi all,

I decided to create an account because of how fun this mod is. One issue that I've come across that was mentioned previously is that I keep getting a crash when my Dragoons are promoted. The message is the following:

Error while playing the game: game_error: could not find the unit being advanced to: NW_French_Heavy_Dragoon

Is there anything I can do to fix it on my end since it's not yet fixed in the add-on?
nenau

Post by nenau »

Hi,

I had this bug too, but I can't remember what I did exactly to solve it. Basically, you have to find the file Napoleonic_Wars/units/Heavy_Dragoon and add at the end of it something like :

[unit_type]
	id=NW_French_Heavy_Dragoon
	[base_unit]
		id=NW_Heavy_Dragoon
	[/base_unit]
	hide_help=true
    do_not_list=true
	race=NW_French
	advances_to=NW_Guard_Dragoon
[/unit_type]
I don't really remember if I added it from scratch or if it did exist under an other ID...
sdmr

Post by sdmr »

Thanks for the help! That worked perfectly!

However, now I've come across a different issue. It's not game-breaking (doesn't crash the mod), but it must've made the whole scenario easier.

During the War of the Fifth Coalition (Bavaria, scenario 7), the enemy unit Landwehr doesn't appear and I get the error below.

How do I go about fixing this?

Edit: Here's what's by default on the NW_Landwehr:

[unit_type]
	id=NW_German_Landwehr
	[base_unit]
		id=NW_Landwher
	[/base_unit]
	hide_help=true
    do_not_list=true
	race=NW_German
[/unit_type]  
I've edited the typo in 'NW_Landwher' to match the .cfg, but the issue didn't fix itself.
nenau

Post by nenau »

Mm, there is for sure a typo somewhere... I can see there is written "NW_Landwher" for the base unit, and "NW_German_Landwehr" for the unit (position of the h) check if the name of the unit in the beginning of the file is "NW_Landwher" or "NW_Landwehr".

Anyway, if you can't find the bug, just find the mention to the german landwehr in the scenarion file, (in recruit, I suppose) and suppress it from the list. The AI won't recruit it, but won't let an empty place in its castle neither.
sdmr

Post by sdmr »

I finally beat the campaign, and I have to say, it's quite buggy. The dialogue is very cheesy too. I was hoping that the conversations were more period-accurate, but that requires a bit of research that I don't expect from a one-person mod.

That being said, I love the campaign. I think after a little bit of polish, it can be a great standalone mod that could be introduced to wargamers who aren't interested in the default fantasy campaign of Wesnoth.
Scaramush

Post by Scaramush »

http://www.picshare.ru/view/8426815/ - this is what i've got trying to start Ulm scenario. fix it BlessRNG
sdmr

Post by sdmr »

Open the Ulm.cfg in scenarios and rename NW_German_Colonel to NW_Austrian_Colonel. Should be on line 44 if you have a more advance text editor like Notepad++

Edit: Having gone back to this campaign, I think I fixed all of the game-breaking issues. I could upload the files if that's allowed.
nenau

Post by nenau »

Yep, that's totally allowed by the license used for umc, and it will be a suitable short-term solution.
The best solution would be of course to correct the bugs on the server. For that, we have to see if TorMac reappears at some point... Sometimes contributors disappear for months and finally come back with new updates. I hope he will do that.
nenau

Post by nenau »

Hello,

As I think this umc is too good to disapear, and as TorMac didn't show himself for some time now, I propose to port it myself from the files avaliable on the 1.12 Forum. I guess this would mean that I become the maintainer of the campaign.

So, if nobody does mind about it (and if TorMac doesn't intend to come back), I'll upload the stuff in some days.
nenau

Post by nenau »

I uploaded the campaign.
As this campaign tends to be quite ramified, I cannot guarantee everything is bugless. Please report any bug.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

I had to search a bit to find this thread (might help if I could spell Napoleon). Maybe it could be added to the add-on server info page?

BFW 1.14.5

First a general observation. I'm playing this on easy, and the turn limits don't seem reasonable so far (played through 4th Coalition). Pretty much every scenario I can get in sight of the last enemy leader as turns run out. Granted I'm not very good at the game, but I'm not finding myself spending a lot of time in defensive positions or bogged down in long combat, it just takes a long time to get around the maps.

Some specific comments:

In the tutorial, there's a message about how mounted units are good again other mounted units. -> against.

In Egypt
Spoiler:
City names are helpful. I can only see them if I load from save. You may be able to see this in the attached. Use it to finish the level, then in the next scenario the city names are missing. Load the autosave for turn one and they'll be there.

In Fourth Coalition:

1) "Perhaps should go" -> "Perhaps we should go"

2) Dialog says General Dombrowski, while the unit is Dabrowski.

3) He's also not a General, he's a Fusilier

4) In the save, he's advanced to a Veteran Fusilier, which is not a valid upgrade according to the help.
Attachments
War of the Fourth Coalition-Auto-Save30.gz
(58.68 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

A few more:

The under-equipped trait has no help.

In Bavaria, "si we can't" -> "so we can't"

In Russia, all of my autosaves were named Autosave.gz. The save file itself had label="" -- replacing this in the save with label="Invasion of Russia" and reloading caused it to start generating saves normally.

In Elbe "to fo over" -> "to go over"

In Elbe, a right-click menu option is added which should probably be removed at the end of the scenario.

In Waterloo, objectives have 'turns run out' as a lose condition, but there's no turn limit indicated.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.