The Ravagers - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.16 [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

King_Of_Sloths

Re: The Ravagers - SP campaign now for 1.14 - [Feedback and development]

Post by King_Of_Sloths »

My bad, I haven't played UTBS since 1.12, so I didn't know they got a redesign. I thought WhiteWolf made a different version.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

King_Of_Sloths wrote: December 8th, 2019, 3:53 pm I attached a save for the last bug I reported.
Thanks :) Sadly it didn't give any further clues about the issue, everything seemed to go normally there. My only idea is that an off-scenario global event removed it somehow, but which and how, I don't know. I'll keep fiddling with it, see if I can find what went wrong.
King_Of_Sloths wrote: December 8th, 2019, 3:53 pm I was playing the Bloodbeard treasure sidequest and Gallien died, but i didn't lose, so I attached a save file for that.
I see, I checked the save file. Apparently, this happens if you start the sidequest from a point past map 21 in the main story. Sorry for that, it'll be fixed in the next version.
Also in that save is something I've noticed a lot throughout the campaign, units that don't have firststrike attacking first on defense (turn 7, palldry attacking the wraith). Is this supposed to happen or is it a bug?
I see. I already know that the Initiative skill can cause odd behaviors in the latest published version (and it's already fixed for the next version). Palldry has a silent firststrike in his inspection window for some reason, and because you have a Silver Archmage in your recall list who has the Initiative skill, I'm guessing this is a manifestation of the issue.
Some advice to avoid further bugs, while playing this version, try to avoid getting a unit with a default firststrike and a unit with initiative adjacent - the firststrike skill could potentially be lost forever in some combinations (not always but in some cases).
Also, imo the quenoth taurochs are op, especially stalwarts. [...] My suggested solution is to drop their flat defense to 30% (in line with other riders). Other than that, the Quenoth are really cool!
As said before, yes the Quenoth are directly referenced from mainline, but that doesn't mean their stats can't be overriden :) I'll see what needs to be done, I agree that the Taurochs are quite powerful in that scenario, setting a 30% flat defense seems very reasonable.
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
King_Of_Sloths

Post by King_Of_Sloths »

I beat the campaign, it was great! A few questions and a few suggestions.
Spoiler:
Suggestion time:
Improve the description of Reed's fear of too many Ravagers. I beat the campaign and still don't know what it means.
Add TRS after the ids of undead units. Not having it causes issues with the dark shade and reaper, because other add-ons use the same id.
Elvish Marshals can level up into defeated warlords because the defeated warlords use regular warlords as a base.
When I leveled up one of the necromancers to a lich and advanced him again, there were multiple options because other add-ons used "ancient lich" as an id for their custom unit (I know it sucks that you have to work around other creators being lazy and not making unique ids, but that's just how it is.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Glad you liked it :)
Reply to the spoiler:
King_Of_Sloths wrote: December 18th, 2019, 5:59 pm Suggestion time:
Improve the description of Reed's fear of too many Ravagers. I beat the campaign and still don't know what it means.
It's just a flavour text that tries to "explain" why he always runs off. But I'll try.
King_Of_Sloths wrote: December 18th, 2019, 5:59 pm Add TRS after the ids of undead units. Not having it causes issues with the dark shade and reaper, because other add-ons use the same id.
Elvish Marshals can level up into defeated warlords because the defeated warlords use regular warlords as a base.
When I leveled up one of the necromancers to a lich and advanced him again, there were multiple options because other add-ons used "ancient lich" as an id for their custom unit (I know it sucks that you have to work around other creators being lazy and not making unique ids, but that's just how it is.
I'll fix those, but the Ancient Lich is going to give me a bit of a headache because it's a core unit included with an extra define. But I'm a bit confused - why are the other add-ons custom units included in the path? I know it's an issue in multiplayer, but the singleplayer path should be protected, so even if the foreign unit has the same ID, it shouldn't show up... but I'm not so sure now. I'll need to check how this works.

Thanks for playing ;)
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
King_Of_Sloths

Post by King_Of_Sloths »

Ah, I thought Reed's thing was a way to terrify him. I couldn't tell you how the unit ids work, but I'd probably place fault on the creator of the other add-on (can't remember what add-on it is). It might also have to do with debug mode, because I used debug mode to give my lich exp, but i turned it off before i got him the level-up and he still could level into the other add-ons ancient lich, so idk. I'm no WML expert (my 1.12 campaign doesn't even load properly anymore lol)
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

King_Of_Sloths wrote: December 19th, 2019, 1:40 pm I couldn't tell you how the unit ids work, but I'd probably place fault on the creator of the other add-on (can't remember what add-on it is). It might also have to do with debug mode, because I used debug mode to give my lich exp, but i turned it off before i got him the level-up and he still could level into the other add-ons ancient lich, so idk. I'm no WML expert (my 1.12 campaign doesn't even load properly anymore lol)
Well I tried creating a unit as Ancient Lich in a separate add-on, and it doesn't cause conflicts, regardless of debug mode (that still should only access units in the TRS path) :hmm: Do you remember which add-ons you had that could have caused this? Maybe if I take a look at them it'll help explain why they appeared in the game.
King_Of_Sloths

Post by King_Of_Sloths »

The other ancient lich that shows up is from reign of the lords. My guess is it interferes with single player stuff because its also a modification for single player campaigns
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

King_Of_Sloths wrote: December 20th, 2019, 11:50 pm The other ancient lich that shows up is from reign of the lords. My guess is it interferes with single player stuff because its also a modification for single player campaigns
Did you perhaps enable the add-on when you started The Ravagers? Or maybe you started this campaign long ago, before this bug was fixed? If neither is true, please report to the add-on manager of RotL. Because that's a bug.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

King_Of_Sloths wrote: December 20th, 2019, 11:50 pm The other ancient lich that shows up is from reign of the lords. My guess is it interferes with single player stuff because its also a modification for single player campaigns
Konrad2 wrote: December 21st, 2019, 2:17 am
Did you perhaps enable the add-on when you started The Ravagers? Or maybe you started this campaign long ago, before this bug was fixed? If neither is true, please report to the add-on manager of RotL. Because that's a bug.
It's indeed a bug in RotL: all units are loaded into the path, regardless of the modification is checked or not, but the units are only used if the mod is checked. However, Eternal Lich always loads a variation of the ancient lich. I'll report this in the appropriate forum.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: The Ravagers 1.3 - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.14 [Feedback and development]

Post by WhiteWolf »

And finally, 1.3 has been published. It focuses on the new sidequest, titled The Ice Diamond, with a new race and a new special reward drink. The gameplay is intended to be unique and tries to take large steps away from regular Wesnoth game rules for the first scenario by averting the focus to building and economy management.
The release also introduces a new bargame, and almost doubles the variety of drink reward special skills, which are now selectable. Some voiceover lines have been refined, and others are in progress, as a courtesy of theuncertainman :)

Several suggestions have been implemented (see full changelog), and more are on the way during the 1.3 series. The release also brings a large assortment of bugfixes and UI improvements.

The odd minor version number keeps indicating that this is still a development version - therefore compatibility between future releases is still not guaranteed.
1.1.22 saved games are not completely compatible with 1.3.0. The main campaign should run without issues, but certain things will be broken: these are the sound effects, some abilities. You will be able to launch the new sidequest, but the new bargame probably won't work, if you start it past a certain point.

For veteran players who already beat the game, and don't want to start it again just to see the new content, you may use this savefile:
Compatible_Inn_Save.gz
For veteran players, launch the new sidequest by loading this Inn save.
(23.82 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
This will take you to the Inn, where you can start the new sidequest. :)

Complete changelog for 1.3.0:
My personal note on the new maps is that they are exceptionally random. I playtested them the best I could, but feedback would be much appreciated, from all difficulties :) New stuff could also mean new bugs, so issue reports are welcome.
Cheers and happy new year!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

That's a very nice way to tie in your other campaigns. :D

building minig town -> a mining

I lose the scenario if I default? What does that even mean?

There is no mouseover text for the 'go here' icon in front of Baldin.

Something seems to be wrong with 'Trivial' difficulty.
Spoiler:
There seem to be lots of pango troubles. The scenario is probably playable, but it's not nice to look at.
Spoiler:
And would you mind telling me what mods you are using in that save?

Also, the side quest is announced as a 5 scenario long quest, but the formal description says that it is 4 scenarios long.
Attachments
wesnoth-20200104-113532-6812.log
(56.23 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 4th, 2020, 11:47 am I lose the scenario if I default? What does that even mean?
To default: to fail to do something, such as pay a debt, that you legally have to do.
But it even says in parentheses that you lose if all gold is spent :)
There is no mouseover text for the 'go here' icon in front of Baldin.
Do you mean Baldor? Tooltips in general sometimes take surprisingly long to load and display (I don't know why, this is probably an issue with Wesnoth's UI), so can you please check again? There should be one.
Something seems to be wrong with 'Trivial' difficulty.
Spoiler:
There seem to be lots of pango troubles. The scenario is probably playable, but it's not nice to look at.
Spoiler:
It's fine here, but I checked on a Windows system, and it is indeed broken there. Apparently Windows doesn't handle 'lime' as an RGB code, so I replace that with the direct color name, it should work fine now.
And would you mind telling me what mods you are using in that save?
Oops :whistle: I forgot to uncheck those. I believe Advanced Order Cancelling and Unitmarker are active in the save. I can generate another, clear save if the mods are disturbing.
Also, the side quest is announced as a 5 scenario long quest, but the formal description says that it is 4 scenarios long.
Fixed that as well (it's 4 battle scenarios), and uploaded 1.3.1 :)
Changelog 1.3.1:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

WhiteWolf wrote: January 4th, 2020, 5:58 pm
Do you mean Baldor? Tooltips in general sometimes take surprisingly long to load and display (I don't know why, this is probably an issue with Wesnoth's UI), so can you please check again? There should be one.
Oops, I meant to check what his actual name is instead of sticking with the placeholder.
Yeah, there is. I guess it just was the last one to load when I previously checked.
Oops :whistle: I forgot to uncheck those. I believe Advanced Order Cancelling and Unitmarker are active in the save. I can generate another, clear save if the mods are disturbing.
That would be quite nice of you. :D
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Konrad2 wrote: January 4th, 2020, 10:45 pm Oops, I meant to check what his actual name is instead of sticking with the placeholder.
Yeah, there is. I guess it just was the last one to load when I previously checked.
I've also found that it helps to slightly move the cursor a bit, but still on the hex, then it loads immediately. I don't even know if this is a known issue, maybe I'll ask around about it sometime.

Compatible_Save_nomods.gz
Without the mods.
(21.37 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
I hope I didn't forget anything this time :D
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: The Ravagers 1.3.1 - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.14 [Feedback and development]

Post by Konrad2 »

Dwellings are used to house your untits -> units
for example reinforecements -> reinforcements
can already tase tonight's -> taste