Desert Traders [1.12 SP scenario]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

drakearbiter

Re: Desert Traders [1.12 SP scenario]

Post by drakearbiter »

I liked this SP scenario very much! Quite a refreshing change as I am faced with random spawned monsters. Also earning money from successful protection of trade routes (failure of which will result in most likely defeat). I was defeated twice on hard, but won in the third attempt.

The game was difficult in the beginning when I was under siege from bandits streaming from one side and nagas in the other. I was almost overrun, but the nagas decided to attack bandits caught on sand (easy prey), which resulted in me surviving the initial siege. There is element of luck and unpredictability here. From then on the game got progressively easier. I had only one scorpion spawn though.

It was however, fun to watch the bandits getting eaten by giant spiders though. I only had to face one spider.

Using wesnoth 1.14.7 and scenario version 1.5b
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Interesting scenario. I won on easy (in 70 turns), but I think I played it really poorly. Replay's attached, but it's pretty boring, so...
Spoiler:
One thought: It might be nice for caravans to have at least a defense-only attack. The idea being that even if they have no weapons, an attacking enemy could suffer damage by, for example, tripping on a rock and cutting themself with their own sword.
Attachments
DsTr-Desert Traders replay.gz
(112.71 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Hi WHU!
white_haired_uncle wrote: November 11th, 2019, 12:59 am One thought: It might be nice for caravans to have at least a defense-only attack. The idea being that even if they have no weapons, an attacking enemy could suffer damage by, for example, tripping on a rock and cutting themself with their own sword.
Oh well, why not? It could just add some fun, in the general spirit of the scenario. In another campaign I made there are caravan with some anti-theft balista system (as AMLA) , I can probably introduce it here.
white_haired_uncle wrote: November 11th, 2019, 12:59 am IMO, the eastern route is just too easy, it's mostly challenged by scorpions who just aren't much of a match for burners, especially once they start to level up.
I know, my intention there was to prevent frustration and grant the player at least some flow of cash with little effort, given that the other routes could be tricky to keep open. On harder levels it may not be enough though.

I can't say there is a clear idea on how to win the scenario, I created it (some time ago) just to experiment with some alternative mechanics, and the extreme RNG makes games quite different from each other, also in terms of difficulty. I know this is against canonical BfW design principles, but for a stand-alone scenario it should be acceptable, and I thought it added *some* replay value.
LienRag

Re: Desert Traders, S1 - Desert Traders

Post by LienRag »

Do you plan to make a campaign out of it ?
It was a bit frustrating at the end of the scenario to just quit all the characters and setting...
skeptical_troll

LienRag wrote: December 16th, 2020, 2:32 am Do you plan to make a campaign out of it ?
Not really, I conceived this as a stand-alone scenario focused on game mechanics. I haven't planned to make a story out of it, but if anyone is interested in replicating the mechanics/settings in their campaign I'm more than happy to provide help.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The roadhouses don't work for Dune Horse Archers.

I'm not sure if I was very lucky the first 20 turns (almost no enemies showed up), or if it's a bug.
Attachments
DsTr-Desert Traders replay 20211103-124122.gz
(55.43 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
skeptical_troll

Hi Konrad2!
Konrad2 wrote: November 3rd, 2021, 11:44 am The roadhouses don't work for Dune Horse Archers.
Indeed :doh: that's a bit where I forgot to update names. Fixed now.
Konrad2 wrote: November 3rd, 2021, 11:44 am I'm not sure if I was very lucky the first 20 turns (almost no enemies showed up), or if it's a bug.
Part of it may be luck, a lot of spawning is random in this scenario which makes it a bit unpredictable. On the other hand, some enemies only spawn if you have opened a particular route. Nagas get very aggressive when caravans are travelling along the coast, just like trolls are only getting out of the cave if you open either of the northern routes.

What I expected to happen a bit more was perhaps scorpions being annoying in the eastern route, which is usually the easier source of income. I've slightly increased that probability, but I'd rather avoid this to be too frustrating either.

Thanks for spotting these problems! :)