Hunters of the East

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: Hunters of the East

Post by Inky »

Two things about scenario 14: you forgot to change the side numbers in the undead AI goals to 6 and 5 instead of 3 and 2 (so they end up just milling about in the south), and the middle lich has 40 HP instead of 60.
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

skeptical_troll wrote:@RainerT: looking at your save, the variable where Den is supposed to be stored is not there. I am afraid that something wrong happened at the end of scenario 3, or something unexpected cleared the variable. Do you have a save or a replay from scenario 3 (you can send it to me in a PM if you like)? It is normal that he left after you reach the island (he's going back where he first appeared).
I have both. Just had look at the replay. All of them are leaving into the directionof their starting point, however the screen isn't following them. I'm not sure if this is the corret bahaviour.

By the way, someone mentioned before that Nirydia has no traits. Any character has traits and she should have some too.
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Inky wrote:Two things about scenario 14: you forgot to change the side numbers in the undead AI goals to 6 and 5 instead of 3 and 2 (so they end up just milling about in the south), and the middle lich has 40 HP instead of 60.
:oops: :whistle: :oops: always dangerous to change side numbers.. fixed now, thanks.
RainerT wrote: I have both. Just had look at the replay. All of them are leaving into the directionof their starting point, however the screen isn't following them. I'm not sure if this is the corret bahaviour.
Maybe you forgot the attachment? That's the correct behavior because there is fog in the map.
EDIT: ideal would be if you have a savefile just before and just after the bandits leave.
RainerT wrote:By the way, someone mentioned before that Nirydia has no traits.

ok, here's something I forgot. Now she is quick and resilient.

PS: armored units now have an overlay, although it goes a bit out of the hex (need to start from when you pick them)
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Seeing as the campaign is now complete i decided to retry it(was only at scenario 3 the last time). The hex of the campfire in the second scenario gives the fire attacks but there´s no icon there in this version currently.
skeptical_troll

Glad that you are playing it again! Which icon is missing exactly? the campfire itself? Or the fire-attack icon? In the first case it would be a real problem, in the second it is just something I haven't coded up. At the moment the indication that the attack is 'fire' comes only from the written description of the attack type. I may want to change that, it would surely look nicer, but I need to think of the best way of doing it.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

It´s the campfire itself that is missing, there´s no visual indication of it on the hex, i only knew it´s place because of playing this earlier. Otherwise there´s no indication of the exact spot of it
skeptical_troll

The only thing I can think of is that you have the option for animations/halo effects switched off (Preferences->Display->Show haloing effects). Can you check that? I haven't thought of this possibility.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I have it turned off indeed. Also, on the third scenario is there something on the tree of left top side? When i got a unit over there a goblin appeared but i was already allied with them and nothing else happened, there was just a spawn of an allied goblin. I feel like there was an order to do this that i didn´t managed correctly.
skeptical_troll

Ok, good to know, then I think it is a good idea if I give some alternative indication for players with this option off, as the fireplace is really crucial in this scenario. Now that I think of it, I may also give a little flame as an overlay to the woodsmen who went through it at each turn, otherwise it is a bit tedious to keep track of who you moved there already.

Concerning the goblin
Spoiler:
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

skeptical_troll wrote:Maybe you forgot the attachment? That's the correct behavior because there is fog in the map.
EDIT: ideal would be if you have a savefile just before and just after the bandits leave.
I attach a save before and after Ben left. I replayed a few turns, therefor it's not exactly the same situation. I noticed something else. The elvish leader is going to be defeated soon and than scenario ends before the ten turns. That happend also in my previous play. I forgot about that.
skeptical_troll wrote:PS: armored units now have an overlay, although it goes a bit out of the hex (need to start from when you pick them)
Which units are you talking about?
Attachments
HotE-The_great_forest_Runde_72.gz
(296.33 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
HotE-The_great_forest_Runde_71.gz
(292.04 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
skeptical_troll

Hi Rainer. Great, I see where the problem was. In the version you were playing there was a bug (Inky noticed it above) in that victory triggered at the defeat of the elvish leader. Furthermore, yours was a quite rare case in which victory triggered for other reasons while you already reached the island. I haven't thoght of this possibility so in your case the bandits where stored twice, but the second time the filter did not find them anymore so he stored.. nothing. Now I fixed that and it should not happen again.

If you do not want to replay scenario 3 again from the beginning, one easy way to get going is NOT to move into the island with Rorth, and wait for the elvish leader to be killed to finish the level without reaching the island. Then everything should be fine. Unfortunately there is no way to avoid replaying at least from the end of scenario 3.
RainerT wrote:Which units are you talking about?
This was in response to Inky, sorry for the confusion. These units will come later in the campaign.
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

I just finished the scenario the way you suggested. I attached the first save from scenario 4. Can you just check if the variable for Den is properly set? I don't want to play the next scenario a third time. Thanks for your help.
Attachments
HotE-Among_the_wolves_Runde_1.gz
(53.3 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
skeptical_troll

Yep, he and his friends are there!

EDIT: please do an update as I corrected a previously introduced bug in the last scenario (if anyone got there). I also added the overlay for the campfire and moved a bit the armor one.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Scenario 14 (Legend of Swethorvast)

Yeah, the mighty fisherman! (The fishermen + ruffians actually managed to team up and kill some chocobones!)

I think the scenario is probably still too hard though - in my replay I get very positive luck with damage taken, and in addition the allied sides got some very good luck too, with a ruffian leveling to footpad in the northwest and soaking up a ton of undead attacks before I could get there.

I filled the initial castle with my best veterans and sent the majority straight northwest - I found this worked much better than trying to send the leaders to the northwest keeps to recall there (because there's really no time to stop and recruit), but this does make me go very negative on gold which ends up affecting the last scenario's starting gold.

Scenario 15 (Return home)

I had to replay this for more gold. First time I played it normally which gave 266 gold for the final battle which wasn't nearly enough. Second time I used a super cheap tactic for finishing very early, hehe (snuck a level 3 wolf west, south, east and then straight to the leader.)

Scenario 16 (The final battle)

I think this one should be made easier, it's like nightmare level right now. Or maybe I just didn't have enough starting gold because of the way I played Scenario 14. After replaying the previous scenario to get as much gold as possible, I had 386 starting gold - against 2000 gold of undead, and with only one healer!! I don't know how you're even supposed to manage if you didn't make Kylp into a white mage. (Maybe you should give the player a healer? It's was hard enough with one due to all the poison)
I loved the incendiary mechanic by the way, I got a ton of use out of it!

Harilur: He should be made passive because he tends to rush out suicidally. (I swear he is secretly on the undead's side, he could write a textbook on how not to play Wesnoth).

Mal Ravanal: There's an awesome new portrait of him - see the 1.12 version of Eastern Invasion.

It would also be nice to have a note in the objectives that it's the last scenario, so we know not to worry about veterans/gold carryover.

The ending (major story spoiler):
Spoiler:
Thanks for your work on this awesome campaign! :)
Attachments
HotE-Over_the_Edge_of_Evil_replay.gz
Scenario 16 (Final) - the power of the wose!
(118.83 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
HotE-Back_Home_replay.gz
Scenario 15 - cheap tactic for lots of early finish gold :)
(81.28 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
HotE-The_Legend_of_Sweth..._replay.gz
Scenario 14 - extremely good RNG here
(125.62 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
HotE-Dark_Waters_replay.gz
Scenario 12
(89.04 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
HotE-Finding_Tocletus_replay.gz
Scenario 11
(99.52 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Can someone tell me how important is to get a good number of footpads and thugs from scenario 3? I only managed to survive with 2 footpads and 1 thug(also have every possible loyal until this point, 1 spearman and two loyalist bowman´s) and the will to repeat this scenario again(needed 3 tries until i got it finally) is at a low level.